Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Which tow bar for 2014 Honda CRV

I purchased a 2014 CRV today, the last year the automatic version is towable. Now I need recommendations on tow bars/base plates. Please share what you use and why? Also any idea as to cost to get put on the vehicle.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I purchased a 2014 CRV today, the last year the automatic version is towable. Now I need recommendations on tow bars/base plates. Please share what you use and why? Also any idea as to cost to get put on the vehicle.
I went with Blue Ox. I like their configurations and options. Just an opinion.

I'm installing my 2nd Blue Ox baseplate on a 2011 CR-V. Had a 2003 CR-V that I self-installed first. The tow bar I'm using is an Aventa LX towbar because it is motorhome-mounted (a big plus).

The kits are really meant for a shop to install. I've taken my time and carefully followed the instructions provided as well as videos from e-trailer. The baseplate for my '11 took me about 10 hours to install. It is not for the faint of heart when you start cutting sheet metal structure to clear the way for the baseplate brackets. But...the end product is so well concealed that I cannot notice the baseplate once the bumper cover is back on.

We towed our 2003 for over a year (and 10,000+ miles) with the Blue Ox equipment. I had no troubles to speak of. What I really like is that I got to where I could hitch or unhitch in less than 5 minutes. I kept a small bag in the CR-V with safety cables, removable tabs, and wire pigtail. The tow bar itself folded neatly behind the motorhome with a vinyl cover.

I was able to do my complete tow system for just over $2,050, including almost $1,000 for an AirForceOne braking system. I bought the Aventa LX used from a guy who decided not to tow after a few months use. If I had to pay full retail for all parts, it would have been about $2,850. These prices do not include labor. My brother had a lower-grade tow system (it was a 'rigid' car-mounted tow bar) and "Stay-n-Play" installed on his CR-V/motorhome for a bit over $3,500 including labor.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
I went with Blue Ox. I like their configurations and options. Just an opinion.

I'm installing my 2nd Blue Ox baseplate on a 2011 CR-V. Had a 2003 CR-V that I self-installed first. The tow bar I'm using is an Aventa LX towbar because it is motorhome-mounted (a big plus).

The kits are really meant for a shop to install. I've taken my time and carefully followed the instructions provided as well as videos from e-trailer. The baseplate for my '11 took me about 10 hours to install. It is not for the faint of heart when you start cutting sheet metal structure to clear the way for the baseplate brackets. But...the end product is so well concealed that I cannot notice the baseplate once the bumper cover is back on.

We towed our 2003 for over a year (and 10,000+ miles) with the Blue Ox equipment. I had no troubles to speak of. What I really like is that I got to where I could hitch or unhitch in less than 5 minutes. I kept a small bag in the CR-V with safety cables, removable tabs, and wire pigtail. The tow bar itself folded neatly behind the motorhome with a vinyl cover.

I was able to do my complete tow system for just over $2,050, including almost $1,000 for an AirForceOne braking system. I bought the Aventa LX used from a guy who decided not to tow after a few months use. If I had to pay full retail for all parts, it would have been about $2,850. These prices do not include labor. My brother had a lower-grade tow system (it was a 'rigid' car-mounted tow bar) and "Stay-n-Play" installed on his CR-V/motorhome for a bit over $3,500 including labor.
I'll second Big Boys motion.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Have a 14 CRV with Blue Ox baseplate and Aladdin tow bar. Have had no problems over around 8K, and like the way it installed. I did use diodes and use the brake/parking light bulbs rather than try to install another bulb in the tailight housing.

Watch out for the dreaded TPMS problems with the CRV. I've had it since day one, and am still going in circles getting Honda to admit there is a problem.

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I vote Blue OX. I found a used tow bar and had it rebuilt at a FMCA rally for about $25.00. I also bought a used Brake Buddy at the same time. I had separate LED lights (from Blue Ox) installed, this way there is no connection to the Honda electrical system. I had the dealer install the baseplate and lights.
I haven't had a problem with the TPMS if it comes on check the tire pressure and if ok just turn it off/reset it
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Roadmaster and it works great. It's what camping world had. I like the way the blue ox does not need an external cross bar when towing. Other than that, when not in use, you barely notice it.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

I bought used Brake Buddy, SterLing towbar, cross bar, and Vue base plate for $500. Needed some work. Sold Vue base plate for $100. Had to buy baseplate for $400 for our Accord. Less than $900 invested. Rv came with electrical connector. Roadmaster makes strongest equipment, crossbar ugly but really helps.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Ox baseplate and Ready Brute Elite tow bar/braking system.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! I used the Roadmaster baseplate on my 2013 CRV. When not towing the front of the CRV is really "clean" looking, not a lot of junk sticking out! I also used the NSA Breakaway kit.

This is what the front looks like with the brackets removed.

This is what it looks like ready to tow! Actually, this photo is of a Honda Accord, but I wanted you to see the towbars and Protect-A-Tow shield.

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I'll second Big Boys motion.
I'll 3rd Big_Boy dissertation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clock Meister View Post
I did use diodes and use the brake/parking light bulbs rather than try to install another bulb in the taillight housing.

Watch out for the dreaded TPMS problems with the CRV. I've had it since day one, and am still going in circles getting Honda to admit there is a problem.
Same here on both the diode and TPMS.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well Roadmaster brackets are a little heavier built and all I have ever used and now they make the round reciever arm like Blue Ox that makes it easer to attach the arm also you don't have to have the Xbar just go with the EZ5 type and it pins just like the Blue Ox, I do like and use a Blue Ox tow bar I like the way the arms are protected.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
This would be my choice. Good system and best bang for the buck.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Have the same but a 2005 CRV. Has worked well for the past two years. The Blue Ox base plate connecting points are just about invisible when the pins are removed.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #14

I have a 2014 CRV That I bought new and then installed the Demco Base Plate myself. I already had a Demco Commander tow bar that I had used on a previous toad. We have over 12,000 miles towing the CRV and have not had any problems. I have approximately $900.00 in the purchase of the tow bar and base plate.
charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow