Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #1

My husband and I just bought our new Class A Winnebago Brave (34D) and we have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Jeep, we need to put a towbar on our car to tow it with the RV. We are seriously looking at the Roadmaster and have also looked at the Blue OX for towing. Could you please give me advice or suggestions on either one of these brands for towing. We would like to get a good price and still know we are safe towing, really appreciate any info.
Thank you, Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #2

My husband and I just bought our new Class A Winnebago Brave (34D) and we have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Jeep, we need to put a towbar on our car to tow it with the RV. We are seriously looking at the Roadmaster and have also looked at the Blue OX for towing. Could you please give me advice or suggestions on either one of these brands for towing. We would like to get a good price and still know we are safe towing, really appreciate any info.
Thank you, Darlene
Old 04-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darlene7:
My husband and I just bought our new Class A Winnebago Brave (34D) and we have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Jeep, we need to put a towbar on our car to tow it with the RV. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Darlene, I use a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar and it is rated for 10,000 pounds. You'll never have to worry about that towbar, it'll pull a H1 Hummer.

One other feature you will like about Blue Ox baseplate ( yours is Model = BX-113 )on your Jeep are removable tabs. Removable tabs are the forks if you will that engage into the tow bar fingers. When you're not towing the baseplate in the jeep becomes much less noticable with the tabs removed. A simple pull on a spring lock and half twist engages and removes the tabs.

Blue Ox is a great company to do business with, I have met the President of Blue Ox, Mr. Jay Hesse, and he's a fellow RV'er and one heck of a nice guy PLUS he goes to different rallies and other events and does waranty or other work as required right on the spot.

You certainly can not go wrong with Blue Ox and you shortly will see them as being a featured advertiser and OEM Expert here in the forums.

Blue Ox carries a full line of products so it's one stop shopping as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Make mine the second vote for the Aventa II. It's what I'm running on my Suncruiser (that's an Adventurer with more mirrors) and Jeep. A great piece of equipment from a great company.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #5

Third, I tow a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (Blue Ox) tow bar, 45,000 miles, 10,000 to and from Alaska.

Bruce
Old 04-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I've got the best of both worlds, Blue Ox baseplate & Roadmaster falcon All-Terrain towbar. Also I really like the SMI stay in play brake toad system.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruzer:
It's what I'm running on my Suncruiser (that's an Adventurer with more mirrors) .. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #8

Thanks so much to each of you - really appreciate it. This may not be an appropriate question to ask, but can someone kinda throw out a ballpark figure for what we should be looking at for the Blue OX towing package and whatever else it takes to equip the Jeep for towing? Really won't matter much either way I guess, we got the RV and are going to get a tow setup and from what I hear on this forum, the Blue Ox seems to be the majority pick. Anyone know of the best place to get it, we live in Fresno, CA and the only place here that puts them on the car outside of the dealer says they don't use the Blue Ox, they do use the Roadmaster though. Again, appreciate all your help.
Darlene
Old 05-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The authorized dealers near you are:

Paul Evert's RV Country
3633 S Maple
Fresno, CA 93725
Phone 559-486-1000
Fax 559-486-1042
Email jared@rvcountry.com
Website RV Country

Young's RV Center
2337 West Avenue I
Lancaster, CA 93536
Phone 661-942-8447
Fax 661-945-7198
Email youngsrvtoo@hughes.net
Website Youngs RV Center

Components that you will need:
· Baseplate with Tabs. (included)
· Coiled Heavy Duty Umbilical Cord (Blue)
· Add-a-bulb Kit for your tailights, tail, signal and brake. Includes connection for the umbilical cord.
· Blue Ox Aventa II Tow Bar
· i Pair of Safety Break-Away Cables.
· Labor to install Baseplate, and Wiring Harness.

Don't forget: ---&gt; Auxilliary Brake System. (the Jeep is a heavy creature)
· Brake Unit. (I use a BrakeBuddy)
· Break-Away Switch & Cable.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:59 AM   #10

Hi DriVer
Thanks much for the links and info, I have printed it out and will call the places you linked. Made a printout of your list. All of you that help with your answers to questions are so helpful and nice, I think that is one of the main reasons we like RVing so much.
Darlene
Old 05-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 35u Suncruiser And tow A 2001 Grand Cherokee toad and I use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. The tow bar is the Aladin model and it works great . No trouble at all it takes less than 5 minutes to hitch up by myself. Make sure to have tranfer case in neutral and transmition in park and your key turn to the on postion
Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #12

I have the RoadMaster hidden hitch system and Falcon II towbar. Very pleased with them on my Jeep. I ordered the parts from www.rvtoystore.com Simple DIY installation with the included instructions. Nothing else to buy.

Worth every penny, I'd buy the same exact setup again!

The hidden hitch system uses two brackets under the bumper. Essentially, it puts two box receivers up front. When the bars are removed, it really does become hidden. The picture above was taken looking up. When standing, they disappear.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed a Blue Ox base plate on our '05 Jeep Liberty. It fit like a glove. The instructions were easy to follow and did not leave anything out. I worked slow and it only took about two hours to install. You have to get down on your knees to see the plate. The powder paint finish on the unit was great. They even sent an extra nut plate. Beats something missing!! I use the complete Blus Ox system. The one I took off my Ranger looks like new.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #14

Towing a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with Roadmaster Base plate and Falcon tow bar with Roadmasters -Brakemaster 9000 Proportional Brake System.

Been using this set up for about 38,000 miles now and had no problems.

I've had this setup on two different Cherokees, moving it from the 1994 to the 2000 about a year and half ago.

You can tell I'm a fan of Roadmaster -Brakemaster products.

Roger

rchonly is offline   Reply With Quote