Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Which Vehicle to tow

Trying to decide on a tow vehicle to purchase. Like to keep the cost around $6K ish. Any suggestions and where to find?
danbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

Does that price include the towing equipment or just the toad? For that money I would suggest looking for a Suzuki Gran Vitara, make sure it has the neutral position on the transfer case selector switch. They are not imported into this country any longer but older high mileage units are in your price range and they make very good toads.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

The lightest you can like. Look at baseplate prices, they vary by vehicle. Older trackers and sidekicks are great towds also, but are getting expensive because they only weigh about 2600 lbs, and most 4X4 models have a manual transfer box that you can put in neutral for towing.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for your reply. That price did not include tow equipment. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra but they want 8k to outfit it for towing. That just seems too much.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaas View Post
Thanks for your reply. That price did not include tow equipment. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra but they want 8k to outfit it for towing. That just seems too much.

That is a ridiculous price for installed towing equipment. It should be half that, tops, for the best equipment installed. Who quoted you that price?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Even if you spent 6K to set up the truck, you’d at least be towing a new vehicle as opposed to what can be had for $6K. Also, one less vehicle to register, insure, store and maintain.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

I too am currently shopping for a cheap TOAD, as an alternative to towing my wife's $38,000 Jeep Cherokee around, particularly for when I go on solo trips, or when my wife flies to meet me at a destination (I am semi-retired, but my wife still works full time). I have been trying to stay in a $7,500 budget not counting base plate, etc. (I already have a tow bar, drop in braking system. etc).

My criteria is easy to tow, relatively light (lighter than the 4,300 pound Cherokee), reasonably easy to set up to tow, no big known maintenance concerns common to the model, and not too old (prefer less than 10 years old).

Here is my short list, note not all model years may be towable, and some may only be towable with manual transmission:

Smart Fortwo, smallest modern car out there, flat towable with automatic transmission, downside cramped (lack of shoulder room), reportedly expensive to repair, maybe under powered.

Chevy Spark, another light small car, though surprisingly spacious, I had one as a rental car on a week long business trip where I had to commute 20+ miles per day back in 2013, overall I was impressed, though it was a bit slow (lacked low end acceleration, of course it also lacked high end acceleration too). Only rare hard to find manual transmission model is flat towable.

Ford Focus, don't know much about this one, I need to learn more, but it is on the list.

Fiat 500, another good contender, these things have not held their value well, 5-7 year old models that sold new for $17,000+ are now in the the budget range, only manual transmissions are flat towable be careful buying, some trim levels may have base plates available

Mini Cooper, again manual transmission only being flat towable, overall seem to have a good reputation, though to be in budget one might have to look at the 10-12 year old age range.

Honda Fit, another potential, though lots of reports online about early transmission failure in this model.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

The Honda CR-V makes an excellent tow vehicle (3,400 lbs.) and daily driver. I had two CR-V's for a toad, a 2007 and a 2013. I would have bought another but the last year for towing four down is 2014.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #9

I agree with llkrob, that is outrageous. We tow a Jeep Commander, 5400 pounds, about the same weight as your Sierra and did the rig up myself. Base plate took about two hours, tow bar no install, lights, and brakes everything was maybe $2,500 with me doing all the labor. Eight grand is robbery.
2TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
They are ripping you off with that price. $3,000 tops is what it should cost to set up a toad. Get a couple of more quotes.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #11

BTW, when I had my new 2017 Lincoln set up for towing, I had the new base plate, Air Force One supplemental braking system and a new Roadmaster tow bar installed....... all in with tax and installation, $4,995.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Nirvc dallas
Old 12-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
That is a ridiculous price for installed towing equipment. It should be half that, tops, for the best equipment installed. Who quoted you that price?
National Indoor RV
Old 12-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
The GMC truck has one of the cheapest and simplistic base plates made. It should be 1/2 of the quote.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow