Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Always on. Even when parked (part of my security system). I refer to it often, driving or not. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I can see the back of my toad and both lanes each side so it makes it easy when changing lanes. I also have mine on a switch so even when parked I can access the camera. Always on when driving.
This ^^^
Old 09-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Why would you turn it off
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #18

Always on whether I'm towing or not.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #19

I do, but I still occasionally get a zing when I notice that little car tailgating so close behind.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I upgraded my system to 4 cameras ($400 on Amazon with new 9" LED Monitor). I have 2 cameras on the rear, one is pointed rearward and acts like a 3rd mirror, I can see cars coming up quickly and have much better situational awareness.

The other 3 cameras can either be toggled through, shown all at once or 2, 3 or 4 cameras all the time.

I have mine set up to keep the distant rear on the screen by default and the left and right cameras come on with turn signals and the rear close up camera come on when in reverse......I LOVE this and wouldn't be without it.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I keep mine on all the time. It sure helps identify when you have safely passed a vehicle. Besides it's fun to watch the Jeep Wrangler that's always tail gating me.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I do. I've got it set for top half being on the toad & the bottom half split between down the DS & down the PS. I like the extra cameras on those blind spots to augment the mirrors.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I upgraded my system to 4 cameras ($400 on Amazon with new 9" LED Monitor).
Which amazon system did you use? Was it a monitor only, or was it a complete packaged system with 4 cameras?

Wired or wireless cameras?

How do the cameras perform in a low level of light? (there are no street lights where I park my RV, and a spotter is not always available... I back up a few feet, get out and look, repeat as necessary...)

How readable is the monitor in sunlight? I'm asking this question as a friend has a single camera-based rear view system and the monitor washes out if the sunlight hits it.

And how rainproof are the cameras?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I have 2 cameras on the rear, one is pointed rearward and acts like a 3rd mirror, I can see cars coming up quickly and have much better situational awareness.

The other 3 cameras can either be toggled through, shown all at once or 2, 3 or 4 cameras all the time.

I have mine set up to keep the distant rear on the screen by default and the left and right cameras come on with turn signals and the rear close up camera come on when in reverse......I LOVE this and wouldn't be without it.
Until I read the above I was going to get a single camera system strictly as a rear view mirror / backup camera.
In fact I was going to get a WiFi camera and use my tablet as a monitor.
But now I want a 4-camera system! I like your camera assignments...
And thanks to the posting by Bumps/Ken it will be on a switch, not on the ignition key.

Thank you in advance

Mike
Old 09-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #24

Always on
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
I only turn it on intermittently. concerned I may spend too much time looking at where I've been instead of where I'm going.
Hmm... Do you cover up the rear view mirror on your car so you won't spend too much time looking at where you've been instead of where you're going.?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Hmm... Do you cover up the rear view mirror on your car so you won't spend too much time looking at where you've been instead of where you're going.?
Funny !!
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Always on
Old 09-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I alternate between the toad and Aladdin. I like to check the engine specs, basement and outside temps, trip averages, blah, blah, blah.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera