Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
In the past 30 years I've owned 8 Jeeps. All Wranglers. Started driving one in the Marine Corp. One thing I have always liked is their resale value. Everyone I've owned I got more than I payed for them. Today I have a 2017 4 door Wrangler with 12k miles on it. I payed $25k for it new and today I think I could get that much back.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Why a Jeep? Because I can't go to places like this in a sedan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ophir-2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	387421  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Why not?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought our first Jeep in 1987 - it was a 1988 Wrangler. We drove it for about 165,000 miles and in 2001 we sold it for almost what we paid for it. We were Jeepless for many years, then in 2019 we bought a 2017 Wrangler 4-door. In 2021 we sold it for about $6K MORE than we paid for it, and replaced it with a 2022 Wrangler 4-door. In 2020 we also bought a 2020 Gladiator - both are set up to tow so we can choose which one to take with us. DW loves her Wrangler, and I enjoy the heck out of my Gladiator!

Why do we like them? Because we like the body style, we like the capability of the vehicle, we like the people we meet with them, we like the look of them, we like turning around and looking at them when we park them in a parking lot, we like them!
Old 03-02-2023, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Nice pic! Where is that? That is why I pull a trailer so that I can bring the Thunder for the adventures such as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C475787-23C0-47E7-9190-1E6F5638CF1F.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	387423  
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:

Alpine loop?
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
Nice pic! Where is that? That is why I pull a trailer so that I can bring the Thunder for the adventures such as yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Alpine loop?
The other side, Ophir Pass between Silverton and Telluride.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #22

Quote:
The other side, Ophir Pass between Silverton and Telluride.
Looks nice. Looked a little like the mountain pass just outside Jerome, AZ. However, the green threw me off.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:49 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
In the 1990's you had a problem with a Jeep product. Duhhh its 2023 thirty years later. Jeep is still going strong.

You want to take your ride off the highway and do some 4 wheeling, nothing better than a Jeep. By far the easiest to hook up and tow behind a motor home.

I have a jeep 2017 Sahara. It is my tow vehicle, it is my daily driver, I have a two in receiver hitch front and back. It plows my 225 yard driveway, it salts the same driveway with a 250 lb salter on back hitch. Talk about one vehicle that does it all. Yep my Jeep.

Oh and talk about fantastic resale value, I will get $3K more today than when I bought it new.

JCP
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

The Jeep cult can't imagine why anybody would even ask that question. And they've convinced a lot of newbies that Jeeps are the ONLY choice for a toad. Not true, of course, but you might think so reading threads like this one.

I've owned a Jeep (an older Grand Wagoneer) but never used one as a toad. Instead I've had a Ford Fiesta, two Geo Trackers (Suzuki SUV), a GMC Acadia and a Buick Verano (the Verano was dolly-towed). They all suited my needs at the time and did what I wanted them to do.

Back in the day a 4WD Jeep was a easy choice as a toad. Shift transfer case to neutral & go. Later, it got more complex (and more electronic) and Jeeps were no easier to tow than anything else. Plus there were a few Jeep models that were not 4-down towable at all. That eliminated any Jeep advantage for towing, but the myth remained.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #25

I do admire the Wrangler look but it comes down to how many boxes a Wrangler checks as a serious condender for a toad.

For off road use there's no competition, right?

Ease of towing? Lots of other toads are easy to tow. Not worth splitting hairs about flipping a switch or 2 to tow. Beware though some toads have an excessive number of steps in the owners manual to flat tow.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeeps are iconic and were in demand after they were first used during the World War II. They've been slow to improve them as people bought them religiously, so why spend the money.

Modern engines and electronics have made them as reliable as any other modern car. Even now, I personally think they're still slow to refine them. In just the past couple of years they reworked the interiors again to try and make them more comfortable.

As far as being the most popular toad, they meet three big requirements; first, they're easy to connect and tow, second, they usually fall in under the weight limit of gassers and three, people have dreams of off-road adventures that few rarely take. However, they're good of taking that dirt road near the campground or driving through the snow when others can't.

If you're a big guy like me, they're hard to get in and out of and not very comfortable for a medium to long drive. There are other options if you don't intend to rock crawl. I've towed five different 4x4 trucks and found them all much more comfortable. My current truck will give the Jeep a run for the money, but is heavy to tow.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #27

Why are Jeeps so popular as TOADS? My experience was dreadful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jeeps are iconic and were in demand after they were first used during the World War II. They've been slow to improve them as people bought them religiously, so why spend the money.

Modern engines and electronics have made them as reliable as any other modern car. Even now, I personally think they're still slow to refine them. In just the past couple of years they reworked the interiors again to try and make them more comfortable.

As far as being the most popular toad, they meet three big requirements; first, they're easy to connect and tow, second, they usually fall in under the weight limit of gassers and three, people have dreams of off-road adventures that few rarely take. However, they're good of taking that dirt road near the campground or driving through the snow when others can't.

If you're a big guy like me, they're hard to get in and out of and not very comfortable for a medium to long drive. There are other options if you don't intend to rock crawl. I've towed five different 4x4 trucks and found them all much more comfortable. My current truck will give the Jeep a run for the money, but is heavy to tow.

Jeep is stepping up their game now that the new Bronco is a direct competitor. The JL has some improvements over the JK. Competition is good for everyone.

I had an ‘83 CJ5 back in the 90’s and loved it. My pregnant bride, not so much, so it was sold. If only I could get some vehicles back that were sold for more important things like…. Buying my first house. I suspect every car guy can relate.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #28

I jumped into the Jeep toad club in 2010 with a new JKU Rubicon. It was going to be my personal vehicle as well. I set it up with a lift, 35" tires and some armor for more serious off-roading. It was fine off-road, but I couldn't go more than 50-60 miles on the road without getting out to walk around. The ride was ok, but it was terribly uncomfortable to sit in. Absolutely a terrible way to travel. I sold it and went back to an Avalanche for my personal ride and toad. It tows great and rides even better on the road and handled mild off road runs just fine. I have a stretched TJ on 40" tires on a trailer for the serious off roading challenges/fun.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, toad, toads