Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2023, 05:14 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I found years ago with my first Class A that those toads that were flat towed behind a Class A that did NOT have the side to side rubber or broom devices fared much better. If the towing Class A had the 'mud flap' optional device installed (usually with a commercial for the manufacturer of the RV), they had paint chips and dinged windows. Especially if they went to Alaska.

I've towed several thousand miles with two different Saturn's with only the rubber mud flap behind the duals that came as original equipment. And neither one of them has had any chips in the paint or the windows. Nothing. Nada. The only thing I ever found was a tiny chip in the headlight lens but I wasn't sure that came from towing or just driving around.

My '03 Saturn towed has 78K on it (100K total when including towed miles) and so far I've only had a busted serpentine belt and now the fan's resistor pack needs replacing. Pretty reliable car with all the power features I like.

I only recall a few complaints about Jeep toads getting dinged though, even with the wide rubber. Perhaps because they tend to sit so high?
Jim this is very interesting as I was wondering if I should invest in a brush type rear flap or a protective cover for my Jeep, but you're saying the toads that got rock damage were ones towed behind rigs with full width brush flaps?
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2023, 05:18 PM   #100

What's left

(I didn't page through all the pages, so this may have already been mentioned).

Jeeps are now popular toads because so many other previously-favorite brands no longer make anything towable. Years ago, Honda CRVs were very popular, but somewhere around the 2014 model year they were no longer towable. We will do a lot to keep our 2007 CRV going because of that.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #101

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Jim this is very interesting as I was wondering if I should invest in a brush type rear flap or a protective cover for my Jeep, but you're saying the toads that got rock damage were ones towed behind rigs with full width brush flaps?
Funny, I have a full width flap on my coach and notice no damage on my current Jeep or on the Focus Wagon I towed from 09 to 19. Unfortunately the version I installed is no longer made. It is ventilated with louvers. I believe the manufacturer was Stromberg Carlson Products Inc. in Traverse City.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:02 PM   #102

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Here's the story. Years ago, before I bought my first Class A, I used to follow them in my car near Portland Oregon. I used to make many trips from Gresham out to Multnomah falls to visit my GF. So I'd fall in behind big RVs so I could get an idea of what it took to drive them, since I had ZERO experience with big rigs. And then it would rain. And I'd be back 2-3 car lengths and those rigs with full on, so called rock guards (rubber sheet just under the rear of the RV - often with 'Monaco' or some other brand label on it) near the rear of the RV.

And what would happen is I'd get SHEETS of water tossed up onto my car on a regular basis. Gallons at a time. And then with 'broom' type, I'd get the same thing but the droplets would be finer. Same amount of water, but smaller drops. But if I followed an RV with just the OEM mud flaps behind the rear dual wheels, NOTHING much would hit my car. I would see the stream of water from behind the duals being caught by the OEM mud flaps but my car was narrow enough that little hit my car. Hmm. Okay. That was interesting, so after that realization I'd just try to follow RVs that didn't have that giant mud flap or the broom.

And one day it hit me, "I wonder if the same thing happens with rocks/gravel/dusty road?" And sure enough, when I found a Class A on a gravel road to follow that had that giant flap, my window would be peppered with gravel. So I quickly backed way off. When I found one with the broom...again window peppered with gravel...only smaller rocks. I could tell by the sound. Large vs small.

So when I got my first RV, I knew about the problem and if it had the giant mud flap I would have removed it.

Over the 19 years of full timing and perusing the big 3 RV forums, I learned that my guess was right. If you have that giant mud flap, or the broom, your toad is going to be peppered with rocks! The solid mud flaps will hit you with big rocks. The broom with smaller but still damaging rocks.

I proved that to myself as a volunteer RV park manager up in Fairbanks AK, when I asked many of our guest as they arrived if they had rock damage and those with the giant mud flap or brooms did, their friends without did NOT.

My two toads have NEVER had any rock damage that I know of. I once had a chip in one of the headlights but not sure if that happened when I was towing or not. Then there were the inevitable times when I had to drive the RV + towed for several miles on gravel roads...never any damage.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #103

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Here's the story. Years ago, before I bought my first Class A, I used to follow them in my car near Portland Oregon. I used to make many trips from Gresham out to Multnomah falls to visit my GF. So I'd fall in behind big RVs so I could get an idea of what it took to drive them, since I had ZERO experience with big rigs. And then it would rain. And I'd be back 2-3 car lengths and those rigs with full on, so called rock guards (rubber sheet just under the rear of the RV - often with 'Monaco' or some other brand label on it) near the rear of the RV.

And what would happen is I'd get SHEETS of water tossed up onto my car on a regular basis. Gallons at a time. And then with 'broom' type, I'd get the same thing but the droplets would be finer. Same amount of water, but smaller drops. But if I followed an RV with just the OEM mud flaps behind the rear dual wheels, NOTHING would hit my car. Hmm. Okay. That was interesting, so I'd just try to follow RVs that didn't have that giant mud flap or the broom.

And one day it hit me, "I wonder if the same thing happens with rocks/gravel/dusty road?" And sure enough, when I found a Class A on a gravel road to follow that had that giant flap, my window would be peppered with gravel. So I quickly backed way off. When I found one with the broom...again window peppered with gravel...only smaller rocks. I could tell by the sound. Large vs small.

So when I got my first RV, I knew about the problem and if it had the giant mud flap I would have removed it.

Over the 19 years of full timing and perusing the big 3 RV forums, I learned that my guess was right. If you have that giant mud flap, or the broom, you're toad is going to be peppered with rocks! The solid mud flaps will hit you with big rocks. The broom with smaller but still damaging rocks.

I proved that to myself as a volunteer RV park manager up in Fairbanks AK, when I asked many of our guest as they arrived if they had rock damage and those with the giant mud flap or brooms did, their friends without did NOT.
Makes sense, I kind of wondered if the flap at the rear edge would stir up road debris. When you think about it, the rear wheels on a MH are quite a ways in from the rear of the MH and you would think that debris kicked up by the rear tires would be knocked down by the underside of the rig before reaching the rear.
On the other thread you were just on I was looking at that device that stretches from the bumper to the toad, under the tow bar, looks like it might work.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:19 PM   #104

Quote:
Makes sense, I kind of wondered if the flap at the rear edge would stir up road debris. When you think about it, the rear wheels on a MH are quite a ways in from the rear of the MH and you would think that debris kicked up by the rear tires would be knocked down by the underside of the rig before reaching the rear.
On the other thread you were just on I was looking at that device that stretches from the bumper to the toad, under the tow bar, looks like it might work.
Yes, it works but it's HUNDREDS of $$ for something that is unnecessary when all you need do is remove the after market mud flaps or broom and go with just the OEM mud flap behind the duals.

Also, they start looking ratty after a couple years with holes if them if you head to Alaska and travel on those roads in Canada that are mostly gravel.

Besides, if you're looking at getting a Jeep, note that they ride high enough, that you'd not likely need that screen. Especially if you only have the mud guard behind the duals.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:49 PM   #105

Quote:
I was thinking about the title of this thread but in my experience as a full timer, I'd say that Jeeps aren't as popular as all that. Since I visit many RV parks as I roam around, sure I see Jeeps, but I see all sorts of other brands as toads too. Many more then Jeeps.

Around here I see Jeep Wranglers as a towed 9 times out of ten or more.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:59 PM   #106

Quote:
I had the 4.0 with selectable full time or part time or 2WD only (I believe it was Selectrac) but I was under the impression the V-8s were all full time or part time only with no option for 2WD? Mine was a 1995.
2000 grand cherokee with v8 is full time 4x4 but is towable because it has a neutral position on 4x4 selector It also has a high range and a low range.
parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:03 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Be careful, not all JEEPS are towable.
That is absolutely correct.

The 4 Jeeps we have had over the years were 2 Libertys, a Renegade and our current Wrangler. The Renegade was not flat towable and, in fact, could not be dolly towed either as it was an automatic. The Compass could not be flat towed, and perhaps there are some others. All had automatic transmissions. I am not sure if the manuals could be flat towed or not.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:20 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
evidently jeep wranglers are good-Been looking for 3-4 mons now and can't find anything decent at a decent price-for some reason they are super expensive-rich
Wranglers have been able to keep a very good resale value. When we went looking for our present (2022) Jeep we first looked at a used (2019?) one that was the yellow color my wife wanted. After driving it and speaking with the sales guy we found out that buying it was almost as expensive as buying a new Wrangler. The used one was a Rubicon and the new one is a simple Sport, but still ...

I don't know if they still hold their value so well, but they did last year.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:10 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboldt View Post
(I didn't page through all the pages, so this may have already been mentioned).

Jeeps are now popular toads because so many other previously-favorite brands no longer make anything towable. Years ago, Honda CRVs were very popular, but somewhere around the 2014 model year they were no longer towable. We will do a lot to keep our 2007 CRV going because of that.
I have a 2004 CR V with 303000 miles on it. Keep the transmission oil changed every 40000 miles and follow the towing procedure. The last forever.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:14 AM   #110

All from experience
17 yrs towing a 2004 Liberty 100% trouble free
Now, 1 yr trouble free with my 2022 Wrangler.
Why change what works perfectly?
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:38 AM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
evidently jeep wranglers are good-Been looking for 3-4 mons now and can't find anything decent at a decent price-for some reason they are super expensive-rich

Wranglers, and Gladiators, do hold their value quite well. Back in 2019 we picked up a 2017 Wrangler JKU Sport for about $24K. Then in late 2021 we were playing around online and happened to get a quote from Vroom - they offered us $32K for that same Jeep! We jumped at that offer, and turned around and ordered a new 2022 JLU Sport for about $38K. With that new one my wife got all the options she wanted, in the color she wanted, and she is happy.

One reason the prices were so high then was due to supply issues due to covid - used car prices went through the roof because dealers could not get new cars. Prices are starting to stabilize but they're still elevated and will likely stay that way for a while.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:58 AM   #112

I have to agree with you. Towing is a snap. But it is the worst car I have ever owned. Stupid little things fail.
I have a red 06 Rubicon. Mpg is horrible. Stiff and bumpy as all get out. But as people say it sure is cute.
Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, toad, toads