Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Why not the Acme EZE-Tow?

Hi,

Just got our MH and am looking at a tow dolly to pull our 2009 Nissan Murano (2WD). I have a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion with the 300 HP Cummins ISB engine. From my limited research to date the Acme Eze-Tow seems like it's a quality dolly, light weight, easy to store and best of all cheap ($1400).

The only thing that seems a bit of a problem is that it is a non steering type, so I would have to unlock my steering column during towing (a bit of a hassle since I'd have to unlock it with the FOB and then disconnect the battery)

So am I missing something? Seems like most EZE-Tow posts are positive
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a locking column but it seems that there are some "work arounds" with some vehicles. Identify your make/model/year toad someone may have something clever. Other than that as far as I am concerned it is the best dolly available, cost, weight, simplicity, built in brakes, never heard of any damage to the car.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The steering system of the toad is what pivots to negotiate turns when towing with the EZE-Tow...just like flat towing.

It is imperative that the car's steering will remain unlocked while towing, or the dolly's ability to make any turns will be impaired.

This question has been addressed with the flat-tow crowd by ID'ing which fuse sends power to steering lock and removing it to disable the lock. There is probably more ways to do it as well.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

Master tow has the swivel plate, haven't had any problem and they have brakes.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #5

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

Most modern cars no longer use a locking column. On almost all the other cars all you have to do is start the car, then turn the ignition off but do not remove the key. The column should stay unlocked until you remove the key. Works for most makes and models.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Most modern cars no longer use a locking column. On almost all the other cars all you have to do is start the car, then turn the ignition off but do not remove the key. The column should stay unlocked until you remove the key. Works for most makes and models.
Have you experienced someone wanting to tow a VW Passat with keyless start, (push button) and electric assist, not hydraulic power steering?

Thank you
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jon,

I have sort of the same situation as you however. I just purchased the EZ Tow dolly and will use it to tow either our Toyota Camry or our Nissan Altima. We went this route because in another year we will lease the Murano again (love that SUV). Since you cannot tow the Murano 4 down and we want to lease another one we decided to go with the Acme EZ Tow. You can purchase very inexpensive battery tenders that will keep the car battery charge even though you are using the key to keep the steering wheel from locking.

Will not be using our new dolly until March/April but we expect it to arrive within the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Hi,

Just got our MH and am looking at a tow dolly to pull our 2009 Nissan Murano (2WD). I have a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion with the 300 HP Cummins ISB engine. From my limited research to date the Acme Eze-Tow seems like it's a quality dolly, light weight, easy to store and best of all cheap ($1400).

The only thing that seems a bit of a problem is that it is a non steering type, so I would have to unlock my steering column during towing (a bit of a hassle since I'd have to unlock it with the FOB and then disconnect the battery)

So am I missing something? Seems like most EZE-Tow posts are positive
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Jon,

I have sort of the same situation as you however. I just purchased the EZ Tow dolly and will use it to tow either our Toyota Camry or our Nissan Altima. We went this route because in another year we will lease the Murano again (love that SUV). Since you cannot tow the Murano 4 down and we want to lease another one we decided to go with the Acme EZ Tow. You can purchase very inexpensive battery tenders that will keep the car battery charge even though you are using the key to keep the steering wheel from locking.

Will not be using our new dolly until March/April but we expect it to arrive within the next few days.
Make sure you get a 2 wheel drive Murano. You cannot tow the all wheel drive Muranos even with a dolly.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I was not aware of that important detail.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought the ACME last month and have already used it......and LOVE IT! Highly recommended. Easy to setup, easy to store, Easy to use. And it tracks fantastic!!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysRV View Post
I bought the ACME last month and have already used it......and LOVE IT! Highly recommended. Easy to setup, easy to store, Easy to use. And it tracks fantastic!!
Roy,
Want to thank you for helping me make the decision to go tow dolly. Wife and I have been going round and round trying to decide if we buy Acme TD or 4 wheels down setup. With 4 down you have to "find" 4 wheel drive vehicles.

She doesn't want "Used" vehicle which means $$. Here in SoCal 4x4 is $29K. With tow dolly I can use my 2010 Maxima which = 0 $$ for new auto.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Safari-rick, I think you missed something. If you want to tow 4 down get a 2 wheel drive front or rear drive MANUAL transmission. If you use a Tow Dolly get a front wheel drive automatic. If you have a 4 wheel drive (4X4) it gets complicated of how to tow that. I have the Acme Tow Dolly that I can tow my front wheel automatic's cars.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I failed in my initial posting saying that wife will not/can not drive manual Transmission.

From what I've seen out here, Jeep is almost the only one with Auto trans 4x4 that you can tow 4 down. And again, not all Jeeps can go 4 down. With tow dolly you have all the FWD cars to choose from with "auto trans".

Bottom line.... been married to the Mrs for 44 years and learned not to get her mad ! LOL
Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-rick View Post
Roy,
Want to thank you for helping me make the decision to go tow dolly. Wife and I have been going round and round trying to decide if we buy Acme TD or 4 wheels down setup. With 4 down you have to "find" 4 wheel drive vehicles.

She doesn't want "Used" vehicle which means $$. Here in SoCal 4x4 is $29K. With tow dolly I can use my 2010 Maxima which = 0 $$ for new auto.

You're welcome! That was my same case....2006 Corolla. I would not switch now! Good luck!

Tags
tow