Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
maybe rent a Uhaul dolly one time before investing in a trailer?? Just a thought.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
a Rental is not such a bad idea and if you cost it out to the 6-7k you were thinking of spending I would guess you could rent for a couple a weeks a year for several or more years. The place we camp in the OBX has a rental service(local as in older cars) deliver right to the campground and there always seems to be 5-6 rentals when we are there.

Option two is to buy a trailer and load and tow you VW, again most campgrounds will have a storage area where after unloading the car you can park the trailer for your stay.
I did look at trailers but could not find one light enough to stay under 5000lbs.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
I would look under the classifieds on this forum to see if you can find a toad cheap that is already set to tow and use it for a daily driver.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
I would look under the classifieds on this forum to see if you can find a toad cheap that is already set to tow and use it for a daily driver.
That's a great idea, I will look.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Now there’s a great idea!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #34

Why not just compromise???
Do it her way!!!

Sounds like your trips would be doable w/o a toad - why not give it a try for awhile.
Tell her you are trying to be open minded and ask her to do the same for a period of time and then revisit the +/-'s

We started in a 28 ft Cl A MH - no slides - no toad, Trips tended to be shorter destination trips and stayed around the campgrounds. We frequently traveled w friends and we alternated breaking down & driving for a day trip now and then. Wasn't the end of the world but did limit where we went and what we saw.

Ultimately decided we'd like to have more space (as in slides) stay longer and see local sites & attractions... so upgraded MH (used) and bought & outfitted a Toad (used CR-V).
Enjoyed the next 10 yrs enough that we said if we want to keep doing it it might be time to upgrade again. DW got to choose layout & amenities I got to choose chassis & engine (as in Diesel Pusher) and we opted to upgrade to a newer used Honda CR-V.

Don't be afraid to take some time and test the waters to see what your RV style is and what it evolves into.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
If it was me I would stay away from toads that need a pump to lub the transmission. Ive had good luck with cars with drive shaft disconnects. These are normally 2wd and lighter to tow. I have a 05 mustang convertible with a drive shaft disconnect and just love it. Its fun to go a vacation and put the top down a see the sites.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Why not just compromise???
Do it her way!!!

Sounds like your trips would be doable w/o a toad - why not give it a try for awhile.
Tell her you are trying to be open minded and ask her to do the same for a period of time and then revisit the +/-'s

We started in a 28 ft Cl A MH - no slides - no toad, Trips tended to be shorter destination trips and stayed around the campgrounds. We frequently traveled w friends and we alternated breaking down & driving for a day trip now and then. Wasn't the end of the world but did limit where we went and what we saw.

Ultimately decided we'd like to have more space (as in slides) stay longer and see local sites & attractions... so upgraded MH (used) and bought & outfitted a Toad (used CR-V).
Enjoyed the next 10 yrs enough that we said if we want to keep doing it it might be time to upgrade again. DW got to choose layout & amenities I got to choose chassis & engine (as in Diesel Pusher) and we opted to upgrade to a newer used Honda CR-V.

Don't be afraid to take some time and test the waters to see what your RV style is and what it evolves into.
Hi Winemaker,

That's exactly what we did for the past two seasons, it worked out well.

Now I an looking to go further afield as our longest trip so far has been 530miles return.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #37

Quote:
If it was me I would stay away from toads that need a pump to lub the transmission. Ive had good luck with cars with drive shaft disconnects. These are normally 2wd and lighter to tow. I have a 05 mustang convertible with a drive shaft disconnect and just love it. Its fun to go a vacation and put the top down a see the sites.
I did look in to a lube pump for my 4 runner but the weight of it is too close to the 5000lbs tow limit.

A little convertible would be nice, I might twist her arm on a VW EOS.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Looks like a fun car.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Looks like a fun car.
It sure does look fun.

Just saw a 2007 for sale for 4k, it's auto so would need to be tow dollied.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
I would stay away from tow dolly. Just one more thing to put money into. Flat tow is the way to go.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #41

Quote:
I would stay away from tow dolly. Just one more thing to put money into. Flat tow is the way to go.
Ok, I would need a manual so.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #42

Quote:
I would agree... flat tow is the way to go.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad