Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #57

Thanks all for the replies, I do appreciate it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #58
RV LIFE Support Team

A couple of comments in the thread gave me the impression that you can only tow a manual 4 down. That is not true. Many cars can be towed 4 down no matter what the transmission.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
She would kill me if I got a motorbike :-)
It's just a threat. I did it. Started riding for the first time two years ago at the age of 51. I say it's the funnest thing I've ever done. It's also very dangerous and I tell people that have been in any type of auto accident to not do it. One accident on the motorcycle could be the last.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
It's just a threat. I did it. Started riding for the first time two years ago at the age of 51. I say it's the funnest thing I've ever done. It's also very dangerous and I tell people that have been in any type of auto accident to not do it. One accident on the motorcycle could be the last.
Maybe a bike with a side car :-)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
We like to drive around and explore places whether it's little restaurant across town or tourist areas I could never be without our towed. What if you want to drive to the local hardware store or RV store for something. If you are just a local weekender and happy with staying put then you won't need one I guess. It won't take long for her to change her mind.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
We like to drive around and explore places whether it's little restaurant across town or tourist areas I could never be without our towed. What if you want to drive to the local hardware store or RV store for something. If you are just a local weekender and happy with staying put then you won't need one I guess. It won't take long for her to change her mind.
I am sure she will change her mind at some stage.

Another option is for me to change my 4 runner to something flat towable, I may just do that come spring. I do love the 4 runner though, it's a great workhorse.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I take the RV out by myself I never bring the toad. When my better half comes with me one of 2 things happen:

If the destination is less than 100 miles away she drives the toad there as it takes as much time to hook and unhook the toad as it does to just drive it there.

If the destination is greater than 100 miles we hook up the toad and she rides with me in the RV.

I have a 2014 Chevy Captiva, which is the same as the 2008-10 Saturn Vue. You can find these vehicles very cheap these days (between $5 and 10K) and they can be towed 4 down.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #64

The nice thing about having a toad attached to the coach is that my wife and I get to talk, plus she can check gas buddy, look at campgrounds ahead, sights to see etc. We have a GMC Canyon, automatic, 4wd, put transfer case in neutral and transmission in park (yes, I said park) no speed restrictions, no time limit, and it's back there when we need it.

We also found a used 2000 Subaru Outback, 106k, manual transmission, MINT condition, already set up as a toad, bought car, Roadmaster towbar, breaking system, installed baseplate and electrical (lighting) for $4,700.00.

We use the Canyon when we do Art Shows, and the Subaru when we are "vacationing".

We wouldn't be without a toad!

I forgot to add. DW has a 1.5 hour bladder. The bathroom in the coach doesn't do much good when she's in the toad!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
The nice thing about having a toad attached to the coach is that my wife and I get to talk, plus she can check gas buddy, look at campgrounds ahead, sights to see etc. We have a GMC Canyon, automatic, 4wd, put transfer case in neutral and transmission in park (yes, I said park) no speed restrictions, no time limit, and it's back there when we need it.

We also found a used 2000 Subaru Outback, 106k, manual transmission, MINT condition, already set up as a toad, bought car, Roadmaster towbar, breaking system, installed baseplate and electrical (lighting) for $4,700.00.

We use the Canyon when we do Art Shows, and the Subaru when we are "vacationing".

We wouldn't be without a toad!

I forgot to add. DW has a 1.5 hour bladder. The bathroom in the coach doesn't do much good when she's in the toad![emoji23]
It's definitely nice having company.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
This might be extreme and, more than likely your wife won't go along but, the next time you're traveling, and you're out in the middle of no where, AND THERE'S NO CELL PHONE SERVICE, just stop the motor home. Shut it off, and, tell her you just broke down. Now, you get to start walking. See what she thinks about that! While breakdowns are not all that common, it can happen and, IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE like it's happened to us and others.

Scott
Wow, now THAT'S playing with fire! When (not "if") she finds out that you didn't really break down, you are going to need a trailer to haul the doghouse with you, 'cuz that's where you'll be sleeping!

Really, the talk of needing a toad in case of emergency is way overblown. I've been RVing for almost 30 years now without a toad, and I've never been stranded. Can it happen? Certainly. Will it? Doubtful. Most (admittedly not all, but most) areas do have cell service. In a medical emergency, you DO still have a vehicle; unhook, pack up, and go. For the type of camping you do, it sounds like renting a toad is the answer for your long trips. Eventually, a 4-down towable toad could be in your future, but I don't see the rush.

I tow an enclosed trailer with the ATV's during the winter, an open trailer with PWC during the summer; our destination IS our campground, so no toad needed for sightseeing or anything else. Occasionally we make a trip without the toys, and I use a hitch mouted M/C rack to take along a small Yamaha enduro for quick jaunts to the store if needed. Granted, my type of travel/camping is different than yours, but a scooter/rack may be a nice addition for at least some of your short trips (for beer runs).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Wow, now THAT'S playing with fire! When (not "if") she finds out that you didn't really break down, you are going to need a trailer to haul the doghouse with you, 'cuz that's where you'll be sleeping!

Really, the talk of needing a toad in case of emergency is way overblown. I've been RVing for almost 30 years now without a toad, and I've never been stranded. Can it happen? Certainly. Will it? Doubtful. Most (admittedly not all, but most) areas do have cell service. In a medical emergency, you DO still have a vehicle; unhook, pack up, and go. For the type of camping you do, it sounds like renting a toad is the answer for your long trips; for shorter trips, DW can drive the extra vehicle. Eventually, a 4-down towable toad could be in your future, but I don't see the rush.

I tow an enclosed trailer with the ATV's during the winter, an open trailer with PWC during the summer; our destination IS our campground, so no toad needed for sightseeing or anything else. Occasionally we make a trip without the toys, and I use a hitch mouted M/C rack to take along a small Yamaha enduro for quick jaunts to the store if needed. Granted, my type of travel/camping is different than yours, but a scooter/rack may be a nice addition for at least some of your trips.
For us the campground is also the destination, normally a place on a lake or river.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #68

You could trade your 4 runner for the same thing in manual transmission and be halfway done for 4 down tow.

That plus you can put kayaks on top of the 4 runner. VW, not so much.

Not much for dolly's 1000 pounds and 2 more tires to feed, less is more, that does more things.

Bought my Blue ox Aventa & SMI brakes used, 1/2 price, bracket light kit new pro install.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
You could trade your 4 runner for the same thing in manual transmission and be halfway done for 4 down tow.

That plus you can put kayaks on top of the 4 runner. VW, not so much.

Not much for dolly's 1000 pounds and 2 more tires to feed, less is more, that does more things.
Apparently the manual still needs a lube pump. The Trd can be flat towed but it's very expensive.

Edit: TRE is 35k for a 2015.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
My first toad was a 2003 jeep wrangler good for towing but not a practical vehicle for a daily driver. So we sold it.

My second was a 2005 chevy Colorado 4x4 and is a good truck to flat tow. You can tow the 4x4 by just putting the transfer case in neutral. The problem with all 4x4s is that when towing you are turning all of the drive shafts and axles and this creates drag on the MH and will give bad gas mileage and will make the MH shift more going up hills. This is ok for a DP but not good for a gas MH. Didn't like it so I sold it.

Third was a 08 chevy Colorado 2wd automatic. On the 2wd I installed a remco drive shaft disconnect. I could tell a big difference on the hills. A 2wd is lighter and cheaper to maintain. Liked this truck so much it is my daily driver. But don't tow it anymore.

Forth was a 2008 saturn sky convertible. This was to small for long trips and required a pump for the transmission. Didn't like it so I sold it.

Fifth is a 05 ford mustang v6 convertible with a drive shaft disconnect. We love this car and will keep it till the wheels fall off.

Before all this my dad towed with a tow dolly because of the car he had and he hated it.

The tow bar needs to be a good steal tow bar not one that connects to a ball hitch. Yes they are cheaper but they have a lot of play in them and this with will make the MH steer all over the road. Also make sure you use hitch locks the good ones. The cheap ones bend.

This seems like a lot but it is over several years. How does that saying go Wish I knew then what I know now.

Tags
toad