RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Wife does not want a toad.

Hi,

As both our vehicles are not suitable for flat towing I was investigating purchasing
a separate toad (think 10 year old Yaris/focus) to either flat or dolly tow.

We stay 3 nights every two weeks in State parks to hike and Kayak and not having a toad is no big deal, for our two 1 week long trips we either go with out a car or my wife drives separately.

My wife says she would rather save the 6-7k it would cost to buy and setup a cheap toad and the 1k per year for insurance, registration and maintenance.

I said to my wife if we don't have a car with us we would need to break camp and drive for a medical or other emergency (run out of beer).

I wonder how long it will be before she changes her mind :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

You can flat tow old Suzukis easily. There cheap, light, cheap insurance, easy to work on, and fun to drive
Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Sounds like it's time to compromise and buy a motorcycle.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
Sounds like it's time to compromise and buy a motorcycle.
She would kill me if I got a motorbike :-)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought would be to update one of your two existing vehicles to one that is towable. May still cost some bucks initially but you wonít have the third vehicle sitting around, especially since it sounds like you donít travel an awful lot. I myself canít imagine going anywhere without a toad
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You can flat tow old Suzukis easily. There cheap, light, cheap insurance, easy to work on, and fun to drive
For sure.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Another thought would be to update one of your two existing vehicles to one that is towable. May still cost some bucks initially but you wonít have the third vehicle sitting around, especially since it sounds like you donít travel an awful lot. I myself canít imagine going anywhere without a toad
My wife just bought the lease out on her 3 year old VW so will be keeping that for a while.

I had planned to keep my 8 year old Toyota 4 runner for another 2 years at least. I could get a lube pump for it but at 4675lbs
it would be right at the edge of my F53's tow limit when the tow gear is taken in to account. I looked at CRV's but too small for hauling pets and stuff. In fact I would rather something like a Sequoia or Suburban.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Maybe a used dolly and tow the VW. Tags are cheap and dolly are fairly easy to store
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
Maybe a used dolly and tow the VW. Tags are cheap and dolly are fairly easy to store
Looked at that already but the vw is awd.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

As both our vehicles are not suitable for flat towing I was investigating purchasing
a separate toad (think 10 year old Yaris/focus) to either flat or dolly tow.

We stay 3 nights every two weeks in State parks to hike and Kayak and not having a toad is no big deal, for our two 1 week long trips we either go with out a car or my wife drives separately.

My wife says she would rather save the 6-7k it would cost to buy and setup a cheap toad and the 1k per year for insurance, registration and maintenance.

I said to my wife if we don't have a car with us we would need to break camp and drive for a medical or other emergency (run out of beer).

I wonder how long it will be before she changes her mind :-)
In my house I make the decisions, and I have my wife's permission to say so

I would never go without toad. We go camping to not only spend time in the RV, but to explore the area and visit new places.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #11

Well,
This might be extreme and, more than likely your wife won't go along but, the next time you're traveling, and you're out in the middle of no where, AND THERE'S NO CELL PHONE SERVICE, just stop the motor home. Shut it off, and, tell her you just broke down. Now, you get to start walking. See what she thinks about that! While breakdowns are not all that common, it can happen and, IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE like it's happened to us and others.

Sure, if you have emergency road service and, you actually get through to them and, you don't have to wait x amount of hours to get to you and, it's not hot, and a whole lot of other "ifs", then ERS might work. But, the point is, you can break down and, with no toad, and no cell phone service, not a lot of options left. I sure as heck ain't gonna sit there, in the middle of nowhere and wait, FOR WHAT? That beast get's parked and we're off to find help and or get parts or, whatever it takes to remedy the situation.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

Your wife is right on the cost. I did the Toyota RAV4 (convert for 4 down towing). This is our daily driver though, not a separate purchase. I think my towing accessories are worth as much as the vehicle. You need the tow plate, tow hitch, complete light wire harness plus diodes for the lights, RV to vehicle electrical cable plus connector for vehicle, safety tow cables, braking system, and transmission lube pump (in my case). Then you will find that a cover for the tow hitch is very helpful (holds the safety cables so you don't have to remove them). You might want a coach indicator light for your brake system. You will need a charge line for the toad to keep the battery from running down.

I did all the work myself and it was tedious. On the RAV I had to drain the tranny fluid (another $70 since I replaced the fluid, filter, and gasket). I had to cut a couple slots in the front clip (bumper cover) for the tow plate. I had to custom make a bracket to hold the harness connector (a real challenge finding a steel brace strong enough). I ran the light harness through the firewall and under the floor trim. Access to those rear LED lights was tough. I installed an SMI brake system and REMCO lube pump under the hood.
I actually negotiated the installation of the lube pump monitor with the purchase of my RV, so I did not have to do any DIY modifications to the new rig. I made up the wireless brake system monitor from Ebay parts (post on this board somewhere - inspired by another poster).

All I can say is that it was a lot of work to set up, but we enjoy the ability to have the vehicle at will. It takes 2 minutes to disconnect it and we are ready to drive immediately. For my next TOAD, it may just be a dolly or 4 off the road flat car trailer.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
This might be extreme and, more than likely your wife won't go along but, the next time you're traveling, and you're out in the middle of no where, AND THERE'S NO CELL PHONE SERVICE, just stop the motor home. Shut it off, and, tell her you just broke down. Now, you get to start walking. See what she thinks about that! While breakdowns are not all that common, it can happen and, IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE like it's happened to us and others.

Sure, if you have emergency road service and, you actually get through to them and, you don't have to wait x amount of hours to get to you and, it's not hot, and a whole lot of other "ifs", then ERS might work. But, the point is, you can break down and, with no toad, and no cell phone service, not a lot of options left. I sure as heck ain't gonna sit there, in the middle of nowhere and wait, FOR WHAT? That beast get's parked and we're off to find help and or get parts or, whatever it takes to remedy the situation.

Scott
That's fairly extreme but I think she would get the point :-)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Your wife is right on the cost. I did the Toyota RAV4 (convert for 4 down towing). This is our daily driver though, not a separate purchase. I think my towing accessories are worth as much as the vehicle. You need the tow plate, tow hitch, complete light wire harness plus diodes for the lights, RV to vehicle electrical cable plus connector for vehicle, safety tow cables, braking system, and transmission lube pump (in my case). Then you will find that a cover for the tow hitch is very helpful (holds the safety cables so you don't have to remove them). You might want a coach indicator light for your brake system. You will need a charge line for the toad to keep the battery from running down.

I did all the work myself and it was tedious. On the RAV I had to drain the tranny fluid (another $70 since I replaced the fluid, filter, and gasket). I had to cut a couple slots in the front clip (bumper cover) for the tow plate. I had to custom make a bracket to hold the harness connector (a real challenge finding a steel brace strong enough). I ran the light harness through the firewall and under the floor trim. Access to those rear LED lights was tough. I installed an SMI brake system and REMCO lube pump under the hood.
I actually negotiated the installation of the lube pump monitor with the purchase of my RV, so I did not have to do any DIY modifications to the new rig. I made up the wireless brake system monitor from Ebay parts (post on this board somewhere - inspired by another poster).

All I can say is that it was a lot of work to set up, but we enjoy the ability to have the vehicle at will. It takes 2 minutes to disconnect it and we are ready to drive immediately. For my next TOAD, it may just be a dolly or 4 off the road flat car trailer.
That's great you could do the work yourself, where as I would end up farming it out :-)

Tags
toad