Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Will someone please check my math????

After much research and discussion, we have reached the decision that our best option for full-time RVing is to purchase a used Class A diesel. Now the shopping begins. We go through the ads, find something we both can agree on, then begin to research that make/model/year for reviews, recalls, problems, etc. Since our number one requirement is that the motorhome be capable of towing our car and two Harleys on a tandem tow dolly, I always check the spec sheet for anything we put on the possibility list. This is where we run into problems.
I’m not confident that I fully understand the math so I’m going to throw out an equation and ask if it is right.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
GCWR=33000
GVWR=28000
GVW=26850 (Is this the same a wet/curb weight? The data plate reads Std. Weight)
Fresh water tank=800 (Is this already included in the GVW?)

33000 (GCWR)
-26850 (GVW)
-400 (my wife and I)
-3100 (Honda Civic curb weight)
-1050 (tow dolly)
-1195 (2 motorcycles curb weights)
405 pounds

According to my math I would only have 405 pounds left for food, clothes, extra water, beer, etc. That’s cutting things a little close for me, especially since we plan on spending the vast majority of our time (80-90%) dry camping. Am I doing this right? I understand that the car/dolly/motorcycle combination would be in excess of the 5000-pound hitch most MHs have and would have to be upgraded to a class 4.
aging rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

Will someone please check my math????

It might help if you list the make and model of the coach. GVW may mean different things to different manufacturers.

There was a good thread in the Class A forum a few weeks back. An owner had just purchased a brand new mid sized DP. It had a GCWR of about 33,000. And a 5000lb towing rating and 5000lb hitch. Turns out it weighed nearly 30k with fuel and a few personal items. I forget the final math but I think it turns out the coach could barely tow a single axle trailer with a Razor without being over GCWR.

Bottom line. Many of the low-mid level DP’s have very minimal towing capacities. Once you get them loaded up with personal gear and fluids they are nearly maxed out.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

aging rocker-

You would be better off restricting your search to diesel coaches with the Allison 3000MH transmission and a GCWR - GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more, and a hitch designed for 7,500 pounds or more as it comes from the factory.

As I understand it, the capacity-limiting component in the lower-tow-capacity diesel coaches is often the Allison 2000-series transmissions.

"Plenty of fish in the sea," as my Mom used to say.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
The capacity for your personal things is not determined by the GCWR minus GVWR formula. That difference is purely for towing capacity

The formula for determining the carrying capacity is really related to
UVW (unladen vehicle weight - sometimes called something else by some manufacturers, and sometimes hard to locate at all) and the GVWR

GVWR is the total weight the vehicle chassis is rated to carry.
That includes the items you are talking about like FUEL/WATER ETC
along with PEOPLE and ALL YOUR INCIDENTALS like tools, food, clothes, and anything in your storage compartments.
This will also include the tongue weight of the trailer if Dolly towing.(If flat towing only the weight of the hitch is part of the GVWR.)

UVW (unladen vehicle weight is the weight of your RV as it comes empty from the factory)

GVWR minus UVW is your CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity

Some manufacturers do that for you and issue a CCC number-- Cargo Carrying Capacity also may make certain assumptions about FUEL/WATER and such.

GCWR minus GVWR is only related to maximum Towing capability --
(assuming the hitch and tires all meet that max rating)

Again -- If you list the RV your are talking about, chances are someone has been through all this before and can give you accurate numbers for your RV.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
The GCWR -- minus GVWR of your RV is 5000 lbs -- that is the max you are rated to tow (unless you are under the GVWR)

If the GVW as listed by that mfgr is indeed the CCC then your numbers are correct and you are going to have a load capacity issue.

(As you said this also assumes using a hitch rated for more than a 5000 lbs tow rating and perhaps a higher tongue rating also.)

This is why in your situation a lot of people look for Diesel RV's rated at 10,000 lbs.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dale hit the highlights. The immediate issue is you can tow 5000 lbs and the combined weight of your Civic, dolly and bikes is 5345 lbs so you're slightly over your tow limit. I think the main factor limiting the towing capacity of that coach is going to to be the engine/tranny capacity that livefreeordie mentioned.