Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wire harness for 2014 Jeep Wrangler Toad

I am purchasing a Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad.

I have seen the Blue Ox wire kit with the bulbs, the Tow Tadddy, Cool Tech and the Mopar wire harness etc.

Is there anyone out there that makes a harness that will operate all (including front parkng lights/turn signals) including the CHMSL?

I sure can't find one.

Why is it that none are designed to do the front vehicle lights and especially the CHSML?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Why do you want the front lights to operate?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not, would you agree at night it could help getting T-Boned at an intersection? Why not have them since they are there.

And why not the middle brake light? Feds require it on all new vehicles so why shouldn't it be operational when towing?
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

I'm coveting a CHSML. What is it?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
RV Harnesses

their EBay store Honda Pilot 2009-2010, Acura CL 2.3 1998-1999 items in towwiringproducts store on eBay!

If you don't see what you need give them a call. I was able to get a plug & play wiring harness for my 2014 Ram 1500. No cutting or splicing of the vehicle wiring harness!
hypoxia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
KIX

CoolTechLLC is a family run business. I think you could call their contact number and discuss your wiring desire with them. They can probably make it for you so it would be plug and play.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Check out Cool Tech LLC at this link: Cool Tech LLC. Niche products for unique and exclusive vehicles.

I am towing a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited.. assuming it's the same in yours...

They have a very easy set up that taps into the Jeep's driver's-side rear turn signal light that enables ALL of the running lights, brake lights and turn signals to operate from a 4-pin. I wired mine myself and it's very nice. The only light that is not activated is the brake light that is above the spare tire. But in my setup, that's illuminated when my Patriot brake buddy box (from Blue Ox) presses down on the Jeep pedal. [Kinda neat because if you have a buddy following you, they know if you are stopping hard enough to activate the Patriot braking system or not.. ]

With this system, when you turn on your RV lights, all of the running lights in the Jeep are also turned on. Brake lights and turn signals work as expected. Jeep headlights are NOT turned on, but if you have fog lights that go along with the running lights, they will be activated. I love this set-up.. Lots more visibility at night.

It is VERY EASY to install their harness too. You unscrew two screws to remove that brake light assembly, pull out the wires, unplug a set that is already there (the details depends on whether your Jeep is also wired for towing something itself), plug the CoolTech harness in-between the two ends that you just made available, and that's it. Then you need to route their cable to the front of your Jeep, and they provide ample cabling with a nice thick covering to protect it. I routed mine through the center of the square steel frame, which CoolTech recommended. That took a little more effort in a few places, but nothing that patience and determination couldn't solve. With that, the wiring is 100% protected and cannot interfere with any moving parts under the Jeep. CoolTech's kit also comes with the 4-pin plug that you mount on the front of your Jeep, and I would recommend their 7-pin to 4-pin pigtail that connects RV to Jeep as well .. but only if you are NOT going to run a hot-wire to charge your Jeep battery from the RV. If you need to charge your Jeep battery for some reason (I do not), then you may find a different pigtail for that.

BTW--I've towed my Jeep for 9+ hours straight without any special charging from the RV and I had no problems with battery drain. The Jeep cranked right up. Some folks claim that they need to charge their toad for long drives, but I don't. There's no ignition key required in my model Jeep, so the only battery drain that I get is what little the Patriot box requires, and it has it's own internal batter too, so it has never been an issue for me. I do, however, try not to use brakes aggressively so as to not require much from the Patriot system in the first place. I suppose if you stop frequently and aggressively enough to require the Patriot to activate constantly, that could eventually drain down the battery.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

The Mopar wire harness is a great setup... It uses isolation relays that isolates the Jeep and the MH voltages. When plugged into the MH, it strictly uses the MH power w/o backfeeding the Jeep. Some harness uses only one bulb for brakes/turn signal/hazards... not the mopar... it uses all the bulbs in the tailights.... so no turn signal/hazard cancelation when you step on the brakes.... It does not utilize any lights in the front of the toad... I dont think it should anyway since the MH rear lights is right there and to many lights may get confusing to other drivers thinking the toad is actually a seperate vehicle.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the Cooltech Harness.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad