RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Wire harness for Jeep Cherokee

Finally at a point that I need input. I've been enjoying all the post, great information from all.

I purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trail Hawk to tow behind my coach. The Jeep website states that there is a wire harness that is needed to do so. So now for the fun part. Neither the dealer or factory can find the part in there system. I've been trying now for over a month for someone in their system to give me the part number so I can have the dealer order it for me.

So now I'm going to the all knowing forum to get the answer I need, the eight ball didn't help either. Does anyone tow the same unit, if so did you get the wire harness referenced or did you use something different.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
tinpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

If you are not talking about wiring for the taillights then, there was a harness for 2018 and prior Cherokee’s that kept the power steering activated to prevent “death wobble”. I have read on one of the Cherokee forums that the harness is not applicable to the 2019 Cherokee as changes were made to the vehicle to make it not necessary.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this post

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2019-...ad-441844.html

#18 has the parts list for a 2019 Cherokee Limited...the TrailHawk not exactly the same install but very similar...probably need a different part number for the base plate (if you go with roadmaster)

If you are referring to the wiring harness to put the vehicle in 'tow mode', you don't need it on the 2019's with Active Drive II. You can tell you have Active Drive II if you have a small red recessed button to activate the transmission neutral (it will be just left of the shifter near the 4WD selector nob) and possibly a label on the tailgate. I'm pretty sure all TrailHawks have Active Drive II standard.

The only wiring you need to do is from the MH to the tail-lights. To be specific, there will be an umbilical from the MH to the toad, the wiring goes from toad connector to tail lights. That requires a kit that has the wire, connectors and diodes. Depending on the braking system you choose, you may need to tap into these wires to provide signals to a controller, so routing them appropriately is important.

I went to a couple of dealers when I bought my Jeep...not a one of the sales guys even knew what Active Drive II did, or how to identify a vehicle with it, even though most have a label on the rear tailgate and the red button is a dead giveaway. It's not even a surprise they couldn't find a part number...probably lucky they didn't find it.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk Elite TOAD wiring and other requirements

etrailer has lots of good information. The problem is too many choices. I haven't bought anything yet as I am hoping more people will comment here on what they used.
My dealer, Fair Oaks Motor in Chantilly, VA, did know about the neutral switch and even gave me a demo. I just got a good deal on a 2019.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a Jeep guy so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanx for all the responses. Did a little more digging on a couple Jeep forums and it appears that the factory harness isn't needed on the 2019. Still would like to hear it from Jeep, no answer yet.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpeddler View Post
Thanx for all the responses. Did a little more digging on a couple Jeep forums and it appears that the factory harness isn't needed on the 2019. Still would like to hear it from Jeep, no answer yet.
There is a TSB or whatever Mopar calls it floating around in one of these forums.

Check this thread out...

https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/337-tow...-flat-tow.html

My post #90 is what made me nervous...initially, I wanted to be absolutely sure before I ripped apart the front end on a brand new (mostly, mine had 4kmiles when I got it) vehicle. I've towed my 2019 around 15k miles so far, no issues.

Just don't let the battery go dead!

There was some speculation about early 2019's, but that turned out to be debunked...2019's with ActiveDrive II are good to tow no harness required.

Ron
Old 10-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

Received a call from Jeep and they verified that the 2019 Cherokee with select drive II the wire harness isn't required. They're in the process of notifying the dealers and amending the website to reflect it.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

We just purchased a trailhawk as well. My research also showed no steering wiring harness needed on the 2019. Just make sure you run a charge line to the trailhawk from the coach because the steering will drain the battery on the Jeep without it. If you battery goes down that could start the death wobble. Just got my baseplate so haven’t towed it but soon.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
This gizmo works great, gets power from the charge line off the coach.

Rvibrake Toad Battery Charger - checks all the boxes for battery protection, 10amps vs. the 2amp from others.

Ron

Tags
cherokee