Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Wireless Coach Link for Demco Supplemental Braking System

I recently bought a Demco Duo Stay in Play supplemental braking system for my Wrangler. I had it installed at Lazydays. I towed the Jeep behind our motorhome for the first time this past week. My issue is that I really can't see the LED monitor light strip that they mounted on the Jeep's dashboard. That is, the camera in the coach shows the Jeep all right but with the bright sun and the fisheye camera, I can't really tell if the monitor lights are on or not. My feeling is that it's important to know if the Jeep is braking when I'm braking in the coach because it apparently depends on how I set the actuator knob in the Jeep which makes the brake more or less sensitive. So it seems pretty obvious to me that I should get Lazydays to order the Coach Link and install it. However, before I do that, I was hoping for some feedback from those of you who have the Duo Stay in Play system and whether (1) you can see the monitor light strip in your toad or (2) you have the Coach Link so you can see the monitoring light in your coach.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mark-

You can do this with a wire that your coach already has.

Use the "blue" trailer electric brake controller wire to pass the toad brake activation light signal to the coach dash, where you'll mount a 12V LED. The trailer electric brake controller wire (usually) is not in use when towing four-down.

This is exactly what I did for my Duo installations, on both the current coach and our former Ford E-450-based Class C. Many others have done the same thing, with toad braking systems other than the Duo.

If you think ahead and wire using some available harnesses and/or terminal strips, you don't have to give up using the "blue" wire for a trailer electric brake controller in the future- even allowing you to switch back and forth between toad brake activation LED and brake controller.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply but I'm not really savvy when it comes to electrical wiring. I can buy the Coach Link and Lazydays or another outfit will wire it for me. I'm okay with that, I do other things well. My question was, do others have the Coach Link for the same reason that I want it, namely, because the LED monitoring light mounted on the dash of the Toad is not easy to see when it is lit (and the toad's brakes are engaged). If others have it, do you like it? Was the expense worth it?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I built my own for less than $5.00. Ask kid in an electronics class at school, they can build you one. Or you could have an installer at an Alarm store do it.

I used this from EBay. and a 12V LED Works GREAT. You could use the same signal they used for the dash LEDs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...72.m2749.l2658
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

demco wireless

to the rver that has the Duo system and the indicator lamp. good suggestions above already posted. I like the one to use the brake controller wire to use instead of paying $200+ for the wireless system. I am putting in the Air Force One brake unit and it has similar indicator set up only they suggest putting the lamp on the back of your TOAD rear view mirror which is better than dash and more visible from your coach camera. You will probably still get some glare.
tuffys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffys View Post
to the rver that has the Duo system and the indicator lamp. good suggestions above already posted. I like the one to use the brake controller wire to use instead of paying $200+ for the wireless system. I am putting in the Air Force One brake unit and it has similar indicator set up only they suggest putting the lamp on the back of your TOAD rear view mirror which is better than dash and more visible from your coach camera. You will probably still get some glare.
I could never see that darned light, no matter where I put it.
I just built my own using this from Amazon. http://ELENKER DC 12v 10A relay 1CH ...=yo_pop_ma_swf plus an added LED to the reciever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I could never see that darned light, no matter where I put it.
I just built my own using this from Amazon. http://ELENKER DC 12v 10A relay 1CH ...=yo_pop_ma_swf plus an added LED to the reciever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Same unit I used in post #4

There 1/2 price on e bay
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I moved the light from the dash to the backside of my rearview mirror in truck so I could see it in my rearview camera. I ran the wire they used up the A pillar on the drivers side of my truck then tucked it in to the front edge of the headliner and used double sided tape to stick it to the back of my rearview mirror. My LED also lights up when I am driving my truck and apply the brakes. Mounted on the dash this was annoying, moving behind the mirror helped with this issue too.

I have the Air Force One from SMI/Demco same LED light.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote