Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

Wireless Tail Lights

When I carry our ebikes on our Honda CR-V tow car, people following us can't see the Honda tail lights due to the bikes.

I am considering wireless tail lights. It's my understanding the transmitter on these devices attach to the motor homes tow car electrical connection. That transmits the turn, stop, and position signal from the motor home to each battery operated light that's attach to the roof of the tow car via magnets.

Can someone make a recommendation as to which brand is best?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

TowMate. I've been using for 11/2 years and am extremely satisfied.

I did have the battery to fail 2 weeks ago. Talked with Tom at TowMate and he sent me a new updated battery for free even though I am passed the 1 yr. warranty. (The light bar itself is guaranteed for life).
Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

X 2 for Tow Mate wireless lights. I also, have been using them for several years. The magnets are so strong you really have to pull to get them off and the rubber boots over the magnets never leave a mark. No splicing into wires or light cord to fail. They just work everytime.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

Are you referring to these: https://zips.com/parts-detail/towmat...m22g-tow-light
Both sold
Old 10-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

https://www.towmate.com/TM3N-Pair-of...ghts_p_24.html

No, These are the ones I use.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

They're not cheap. I might try the ones I referenced above, $220 on Amazon.
Both sold
Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

When I was considering a wireless setup I found that other than the Tow Mate most systems were not functioning 100% of the time. People complained that often the lights did not work. Some also required batteries that depleted quickly. I agree that the tow mate is expensive.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #8

We went with the TowMate RV remote set. It has been across the US and back one trip and working great. This unit does not have the builtin battery but plugs into a 12vdc adapter. Our towed has a 12 vdc outlet in the rear, drop the power cord behind the hatch - Subaru Forester. Not a single problem, the light bar is great and the magnets really strong.

Depending on your RV you may need load resistors to make the remote function properly. We have a View and tow module expects incandescent bulbs so I used a short 7 pin adapter from eTrailer with builtin load resistors which works great. The light bar is theft connected to my locked on kayak racks but if we stay anywhere in a questionable area I would pull the 7 pin remote and adapter. So far that has not been necessary.

The new vehicles are picky and I just set up the '18 Suby Forester with manual to tow a few months back. I highly recommend the TowMate RV light bar with remote transmitter to cutting into the vehicle wiring for diodes etc. About 5k miles with the Suby and the TowMate so relatively new but so far it is great.

Now when I say "not a single problem" that is after correcting factory wiring defect from WGO. I finally found the factory short jumper on the View had a bad ground wire - slight tug and it pulled right out. Yeah, back and forth on that one with blown fuses etc. but Mercedes was helpful since WGO said "not our problem, call Mercedes". I did that and Mercedes was great, got a tech on the line, described the issue and he said - "happens a lot", go out and pull gently on every wire to the 7 pin, especially ground wire. I did and the thing pulled right out, they missed it installing the pin on that ground, never seated. Temporary solution - another eTrailer part with a jumper. Spliced the loose ground into the jumper ground and new 7 pin. Can't do that on the factory OEM plug. Eventually I will pay WGO to make up a new factory jumper - maybe not.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tail lights