Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Wireless toad brake monitoring

I would like to have a warning light on the dash of my motor home that turns on when the brakes in my tow car are applied. SMI sells a wireless system for $200+. I was hoping to find a less expensive one. I am reasonably handy and I could even build one if I found a suitable plan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
arneinfloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Arne, Ready Brake has a simple set up to monitor your brake pedal. It is there part DL-100. If you go to their site, readybrake.com you can see there installation instructions. I think the price is about $65. If you have any questions the people at Ready Brake/NSA are great at answering questions.
Good luck.
Lakehouse 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great minds think alike.

I ordered one of these. I plan on wiring the transmitter so anytime the brake is pressed it provides power to the transmitter and presses the button.

The reciever will turn on a light on the MH dash, and also the audible alarm if the toad brakes stay applied more than 20 seconds.

DC 12V 10A Relay 1CH Wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter Receiver | eBay

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

arneinflorida-

Many of us go the wired route, using the "unused" trailer brake controller wire in the hitch connector. This method is usually easy and cheap on late-model coaches, such as yours. Here's a link to a prior post I made.

What are your reasons for wanting a wireless solution?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why the wireless solution?

I'm not sure I have any unused pins in the 7 pin MH connector. I'd have to rewire the toad connector, I'd have to make a new MH to Toad cable.

But mainly, I ran across this neat little wireless transmitter/receiver and have been looking for a project to use it on.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

Wireless is important to me.

Years ago I hardwired a connection from my BrakeBuddy to the dash in my old Adventurer. Unfortunately I found it very difficult to crawl under the rig to string the cable. Very uncomfortable, several dizzy spells and near panic attacks (claustrophobic?). Wireless will make the process much less painful.
arneinfloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

arneinfloria-

Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Your newer coach may have the wires already run for you. Should you want to pursue that option, send me a private message and I'll help you with the research and installation.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love my BB Vantage. Not only can I monitor breaking I can switch to proportional or Full braking wirelessly. Can also adjust sensitivity.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Love my BB Vantage. Not only can I monitor breaking I can switch to proportional or Full braking wirelessly. Can also adjust sensitivity.
Same with my BlueOx Patriot. It came with the wireless monitor that allows me to control sensitivity from the drivers seat.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arneinfloria View Post
I would like to have a warning light on the dash of my motor home that turns on when the brakes in my tow car are applied. SMI sells a wireless system for $200+. I was hoping to find a less expensive one. I am reasonably handy and I could even build one if I found a suitable plan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ask an ye shall recieve

This is a $4.50 12v remote switch with 100 meter range.
All you need to do is solder the switch contacts closed on the hand transmitter.
Then when you apply 12V (connect this to brake lights), it will activate the remote switch in your coach,

12V Remote Switch on Ebay

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #11

When the wireless transmitter for my Apollo (BrakeBuddy like) failed, I did a lot, and I mean a lot, of research looking for a replacement.

The Remote Control switch earlier in this thread has the problem of sensing the brakes being applied in the toad. The fob can't do that.

I found a ton of receiver options, but no voltage triggered transmitters.

I was on the road of using the unused blue brake line in the trailer cable for a wired solution.

I took one shot and found the Apollo transmitter power cord had broken plug. I replaced the plug and was a happy trooper.

I would get the SMI option in the OPs case. There isn't another option.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan, That looks like the one I ordered to play with...

The key to using this one is that the transmitter uses a 12 volt battery, which I can wire to a "TOW" switch that I will be using to supply power to the brake system and toad brake lights. I'll then wire a set of relay contacts across the pushbutton contacts so that energizing the relay has the same effect as pushing the push-button.

And of course, when the toad pedal is pressed, thats what will energize the relay.

Another neat feature of the receiver is that it can be configured to operate as click ON, click OFF or a click / momentary ON (stays ON as long as the button is pressed. Thats how I'll use it.

Stay tuned.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

The 12 volt goes to the receiver, not the fob. The fob is the transmitter.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The 12 volt goes to the receiver, not the fob. The fob is the transmitter.
Yes the Fob is the transmitter. The 23A 12 Volt battery for the Fob is not shipped with it!

Remote control parameters
Operating voltage: 12V (12V 23A battery)
Frequency: 315MHZ
Encoding Type: Fixed code
Firing Range: 100 meter(open) in theory, 15%-30% in reality
Size: 35x x 55mm x 13mm
Shock resistance : 4.7M
Battery for transmitter :23A 12V
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad