Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #1

If towing a 2000 Saturn SL1 four down, what is required to activate the brake lights on the toad - that is, if something such as a Brake Buddy is not being used?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #2

If towing a 2000 Saturn SL1 four down, what is required to activate the brake lights on the toad - that is, if something such as a Brake Buddy is not being used?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:13 PM   #3

You will have to wire the Saturn either with a "Diode kit" that taps the Saturns harness.

Or the way I prefer is with a seperate set of bulbs and wire harness with a kit Like this one.

The seperate bulbs and harness are actually a LOT easier to install and cost about teh same as the diode kit....

Don
Old 12-31-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You can always get a Blue Ox Bulb Kit right from RV Upgrades located here:

Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit

Happy New Year

PS: As a side bonus, it's cheaper on RV Upgrades.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #5

Wow, amazing I hadn't seen this before. I was looking at mag mount towing lights when I realized the Saturn being plastic made that a problem. Never would have thought of adding a set of bulbs. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ready2Ride:
If towing a 2000 Saturn SL1 four down, what is required to activate the brake lights on the toad - that is, if something such as a Brake Buddy is not being used? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, an auxiliary braking device such as a Brake Buddy is not adequate for activating the toad brake lights. The brake lights on the toad should be activated EVERY time you use the brakes in the motor home to adequately warn motorists behind you you are beginning to slow down. I have a Roadmaster Brake Pro (very similar to the Brake Buddy). Depending on how I have the sensitivity of the Brake Pro adjusted and depending on how hard I am stopping, the Brake Pro may or may not activate. That means my toad brake lights may or may not go on. I am using the existing bulbs with diodes powered from the motor home brake lights so the toad brake lights will go on every time I step on the motor home brakes. Please do not depend on your auxiliary braking device to provide indication of braking on your toad.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote