Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Wiring for electric brakes

Hi everyone, been a while since I've asked for help but here goes. I've got a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion and want to tow a 24 foot trailer with electric brakes. I know you need a controller but is there a wiring plug in harness that plugs into the existing freightliner wiring or do I need to hard wire going all the way back to the battery. When I installed this same controller into my 2004 Chevy Silverado the harness just plugged into the controller and then into a spot in the fuse box. Is there such a thing on my coach? Any help would be appreciated . I know someone has don this before. Thanks, Fearlessfritz
Fearlessfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Thanks for asking. I want to do the same.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's going to be a plug under the instrument panel. Call Freightliner and they will send you the wiring schematics and be able to lead you to where the plug is.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

I Have a 2000 American Eagle on a Spartan Chasis and I want to pull a 3500# trailer with electric brakes, There is a 7 pin plug but I have not checked it yet.
I do not see any sign of a controller anywhere upfront.
I don't want to hi'jack this thread but I would like similar help in how to go about doing this properly ?

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

I suspect you/we are going to have to buy the separate brake control unit. What one is the best?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

And, yes I found the plug you are speaking about. It has a rubber cover over it.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

I think you need a separate brake controller check out the connection on the back. google : trailer connector and select Images for trailers
My Southwind has a pin for brakes and I don't have a controller but it should be pre wired under the dash
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #8

Tekonsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
I suspect you/we are going to have to buy the separate brake control unit. What one is the best?
You're right, I have a Tekonsha P3 on my car for this trailer that I chose after much research and it is a great unit, does it's own diagnostics and actually I could move it from one to other vehicles but then I have to get another installation kit!

I will most likely just buy another one, but it sounds like it that I have to run 40+ ft of wire to the back and forth to the front. Hoping this wasn't so!!!!! :bang head:

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, wiring