Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #1

wiring my jeep cherokee 2016

i buy a new jeep cherooké 2016 and they install a Blue ox base plate and they dont want to install the wiring system they want to install some magnetic light on the top with vacuum thing i am not very sold to that installation and i read some issue for installation and différent advice they said i can
lost my garanty if there some problems what kind of installation do you have on your for those who have a 2016 trail hawk tank you
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #2

I just installed the Blue Ox base plate on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. For the lights I installed the Hopkins Dinghy Wire Harness which has connectors that plug into the existing connectors on the Jeeps tail lights. I did not have to cut or splice any of the factory wires so no issues with warranty. I did cut and splice the wires on the Hopkins harness in order to run them through the frame of the Jeep for a clean and protected install.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Have a look at Cool tech. harness. Plugs into rear light sockets - no cutting or splicing.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Have a look at Cool tech. harness. Plugs into rear light sockets - no cutting or splicing.
Hopkins makes the same thing, no cutting or splicing.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
i buy a new jeep cherooké 2016 and they install a Blue ox base plate and they dont want to install the wiring system they want to install some magnetic light on the top with vacuum thing i am not very sold to that installation and i read some issue for installation and différent advice they said i can

lost my garanty if there some problems what kind of installation do you have on your for those who have a 2016 trail hawk tank you

Andrew, if you have not already done so, take your Jeep Cherokee to your Jeep dealer and have them install the flat towing cable kit. It provides power to the Electronic Power Steering (EPS). This is FCA's solution to the "death wobble" that some Jeeps get. At this point it is thought to be caused by either the EPS or the straight axle, juries still out on that one, but FCA came up with the wiring harness that gives power to the EPS while flat towing. I do not think there is a cost for it, but check with your dealer. You should also have a charge line to your toad so you do not run your battery down on a long tow.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

if all this fails - trade off the piece of junk and get something else.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

The harness is already install and the wire and fuse is install too i will probably install the blue ox wiring connection
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
Old 08-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

it will be a Hopkinds connection
Old 08-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wiring harness cost $146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Andrew, if you have not already done so, take your Jeep Cherokee to your Jeep dealer and have them install the flat towing cable kit. It provides power to the Electronic Power Steering (EPS). This is FCA's solution to the "death wobble" that some Jeeps get. At this point it is thought to be caused by either the EPS or the straight axle, juries still out on that one, but FCA came up with the wiring harness that gives power to the EPS while flat towing. I do not think there is a cost for it, but check with your dealer. You should also have a charge line to your toad so you do not run your battery down on a long tow.
I have tried to get this wiring harness through the delarship I bought my Trailhawk 2015 and through Chysler Service. They will not pay for the harness or installation period. Your on your own, thanks Jeep!

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
WDW

I think it depends on the model. I B leotard limited to Cherokee. In the case of our latitude there was no problem.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
I have tried to get this wiring harness through the delarship I bought my Trailhawk 2015 and through Chysler Service. They will not pay for the harness or installation period. Your on your own, thanks Jeep!

Alan & Terry

I would show them the owner's manual that states it is flat towable and ask how you are supposed to tow it without the death wobble.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
wiring my jeep cherokee 2016

Here is another reference from a past forum. There are many threads on this problem, you have to do a LOT of searching to get them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack40 View Post
I had my "mopar flat tow wiring kit" installed last Thursday at no charge. On Saturday I received a "Motor Vehicle Notification" from FCA. In it was an addendum to my owners manual; stating "before towing see dealer for the mopar flat tow wiring kit. It also recommended to charge the towed vehicle during recreational towing. The kit still contains the fuse and the switch. The customer satisfaction notice applies to 2014 through 2016 models. Presumably the problem is resolved on 2017 models.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #13

What i did i take an appointment for installation i pay the bill 449$ i went to the office of the owner of the dealership
give him the bill and told him that he owe me that money because they sold me the jepp saying that he is towable flatt with no problems
one month later the owner send me the ckeek saing chrysler dont want to pay but the owner of the dealer ship dont want to loose is name for 449$
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2014 has the Universal Tow Daddy installed, but they went under.
Get the NEW Hopkins Dingy Wiring kit #56208m no wires to cut. Too bad they didn't have it when I did mine.
Also check to see if your 2016 is already setup for Flat Tow or do you have to add the Flat tow wiring harness? I got mine done for free because It was suppose to be Flat Towable from the factory as stated in the book and on the web site.
You still need some sort of Aux brake system installed also, It's the law!!!!

Tags
wiring