Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Wiring Problem from MH to Toad

Just recently I have lost the left turn signal indicator on my toad. The MH blinks but not the toad. All other lights work just fine. Any suggestions on where to look and how to test?
Sundog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It is probably a loose cable fitting. I had s similar problem with the running lights. Disassemble the pulgs and see if everything is tight. You could also borrow a cable ant try it if someone has the same setup.
Herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Herb. The cable plugs are notorious for coming loose.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. I'll start with the cable. RIght now, however it is 27 degrees.......... and that is the high for the day. I am heading to Florida on Sunday - should arrive in mid afternoon. I expect Florida will be cold too, but not this d*#~n cold...............I hope. I think it will be easier to fix when it's warmer (grin).
Sundog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog17 View Post
Thanks for the replys. I'll start with the cable. RIght now, however it is 27 degrees.......... and that is the high for the day. I am heading to Florida on Sunday - should arrive in mid afternoon. I expect Florida will be cold too, but not this d*#~n cold...............I hope. I think it will be easier to fix when it's warmer (grin).
Well, good news! Depending on where you're going in Florida, it's only the overnight low temps that will be down to 27. I've had to disconnect my water hose to keep it from freezing every night for the last week. The daytime highs will be all the way up to the 40s or 50s! But the sun is usually out during the days, and that makes a lot of difference. At least the sun makes it FEEL warmer.

Good luck troubleshooting your problem. I agree with the others who said check the plug. Any time we have had a problem with toad lights, it's always been a loose wire inside the plug assembly.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anytime I've had unusual electrical problems with trailer's, toad's, etc, I found marginal connections between the two units caused by poor ground connections.

If you check your connections plugs and your getting power to the RV's (left turn circuit) plug, try just temporarily connecting an extra wire from the RV frame to the toads frame and if the turn light works, that'll tell you if you have a poor ground.

A bulb out on the toad can also make the turn indicator inop.

I can't help you with the weather.

Sorry for the double post-- It's cold here too (Mississippi)!!

Good luck,
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a quick and easy test. Buy one of those "ice pick" style testers at your local auto parts store or Wal-mart. There is a wire and a clip on it that has to be connected to the MH frame on a clean spot. I usually wire brush a place until I have shiny metal for the teeth on the clip to dig into.

With the toad harness disconnected, probe the left turn signal socket on the MH end of the plug. With the turn signal set to flash on the MH, the test lamp either flashes or it doesn't. If it does, the problem, as others have suggested is in the connection or with the toad. If it doesn't, you have an issue with the MH wiring. You can also plug the toad connector into the MH and test the output of the cable end that you connect to the toad. Don't plug it into the toad and see if the turn signal flash appears on the toad end of the cable (with the ground wire still tied to the MH chassis.)

You'd be amazed at how much one of those ice pick style testers can tell you. It isn't going to detect low voltage problems but many situations are really looking for voltage or no voltage. I think it is a handy item to have.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't worry about it. Most people in FL. don't use their turn lights anyway. And when they do use them. It doesn't mean that is the direction they will turn.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote