Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Wiring questions

OK forgive me for asking questions before I have even had a chance to check it out. I've owned the motorhome for a while now but have never used it for towing. I have just purchased a enclosed dual axle trailer that of course has electric brakes and the 7 blade plug. The previous owner of the coach obviously had a toad as there is a 6 pin Roadmaster plug which is wired into a Roadmaster Brite Lite thingy. I am thinking that I can cut the wires and just wire in to a new 7 blade plug. My questions are: does anyone know if the typical Roadmaster set-up would have the 12v power to the 6 pin already. I realize that would be easy to check out with a tester light which would be fine except that the back end is sitting over a big puddle of water right now, so I'm hoping to be prepared when it dries up. Also I would just want to eliminate the Brite Lite thingy when going to the 7 blade plug correct? If I don't have a 12v hot wire there already obviously I would have to run one. If I am correct the hot wire would charge the battery for the break-away brakes that also powers the electric tongue jack. In addition it would also supply power to the 12v overhead lights. If I have to run a 12v wire I am questioning whether I would want to run that from the chassis battery or from the house battery. I realize that normally the chassis battery would be the choice however I can envision times where the 12v lighting would be on for extended periods of time and since I am almost always either plugged in or have the generator running I wouldn't have to worry about draining the chassis battery. Anyway sorry to be so long but thanks for any help or suggestions. Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The Roadmaster Brite Lite is used to convert a three wire brake/turn light system to a two wire system. It doesn't have a separate 12 v feed to it. Does your RV have separate bulbs for brake and turn lights? If so, if your trailer doesn't match it you'll need the Brite Lite. How much power does the electric jack draw? That might be the only problem with powering it through a small gauge wire. I agree with your reasoning for using house battery as a source for interior trailer lights. Sounds like you'll still have to string wires for the electric brake controller, before doing that make sure all other needs are met, it's best done only once, you can just as easily string a couple of more conductors when you do the controller.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the response BFlinn181. Yes I have separate turn and brake bulbs under amber and red lenses. Yes as I recall the Brite Lite does not have a 12v feed to it although only part of the wires go thru it, I believe some of the wires go directly to the 6 pin. I don't know how much power the jack draws but I am presuming not to much since it will operate off the small battery(when not hooked up) that also powers the breakaway brake. For various reasons I've decided to use the Tekonsha wireless brake controller so I will not be running those wires but your right I may have to run a 12v hot wire. I was thinking that I would run that directly from the battery with a circuit breaker installed.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

Haven't had much of a chance to work on this and now that I am up against a deadline I could use a little help. As I stated earlier my plan was to just eliminate the "brite lite" and cut off the 6 pin round and wire in a new 7 blade. The 6 pin has a white=ground, brown=taillights, yellow=left turn, green=right turn, grey=reverse, and the one that is confusing me is the red that lights up the tester light when the brakes are applied. Would this be coming from a brake controller? As far as I know I don't have one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark
Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Red wire is usually the brake-away battery charge line for a trailer but it would be with on with ignition not with brake lights.

Tags
wiring