Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Would you tow a 2011 Honda Pilot Sport behind a Class A Gas Bunkhouse?

We are a family of 5 looking to buy a Class A Gas Bunkhouse. Not new to rv'ing as we previously owned a Fifth Wheel with rear living, towed by a Dodge 3500 mega cab. But a Motorhome and Toad will be new to us. It seems like Class A could be better for long drives, and quicker setup (with cranky kids) when we reach our destination. (Feel free to weigh in with your favorite bunkhouse models if you have one. So far we are leaning towards the Bounder Classic 36H or Coachmen Mirada 35BH).

My question is this, we already have a 2011 Honda Pilot, and I am reading they cannot be towed. The manual says no, but I've seen others towing a Pilot and have read almost anything can be towed? In anticipation of a motorhome payment, I really don't want a car payment too Any advice?
fischerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The first thing to check is the towing capacity of the coaches you are interested in compared to the weight of you vehicle and the fully loaded weight as it sounds like you will have a large amount of gear and number of people. You might find the gassers lacking the power and towing capacities that may be needed. Check out the Sportscoach Cross Country 385ds which is a popular priced diesel pusher bunkhouse.

Also go to remco, or FMCA where you will find annual guides for towable vehicles where the specific requirements will be listed, ie manual vs auto trans, lube pump, max towable speed, etc.

Hope this helps.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the remco web page - http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

It appears that both remco and honda do not recommend towing certain models but remco is honest about those models that are being towed without issues and what is required.

Good luck
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I was told my the mechanic that my 2006 Honda Pilot had the very same engine and transmission as the previous Honda approved towable vehicles. So, I decided to go ahead and tow it even though the manual said not to do it. I had no problems and just figured if I blew the transmission it was just something I would had to deal with. Well I never had a problem and, in truth, still miss it. It sounds like others are towing the 2011 without any problems; just circulate the fluid every so often. Enjoy.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes it's not just the trans that keeps it from being towed. Could be the frame is too weak to put a hitch on or the wheels won't self center after a turn.
Honda hasn't allowed the Pilot to be towed since the 2004 year, although some 2005's got out with misprinted manuals that said it was OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #6

I towed my 2006 honda pilot with my previous 36' gasser motorhome by putting the pilot on a hydraulic quick loading car hauler, my understanding was the pilot all wheel drive system did not allow you to flat tow it? The pros: quick to load and no wear or tear to the pilot, along with being able to back up out of tight situations. The Cons: pilot plus trailer was at the maximum gross combined vehicle weight rating, ( however I did this for 30,000 miles no issues). The overall length of the trailer and motorhome limited the available camping sites unless I disconnected the trailer at our destinations. After the 30,000 miles I did purchase a jeep rubicon unlimited and installed the built in braking system and flat towed it, once I towed the jeep on the first trip, I wished I had gone to this setup years sooner for the ease of hooking up band disconnecting the vehicle to use (only downside I found was you can't back up but a few feet with it).

2004 TS Select 45' DS04
taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Would you tow a 2011 Honda Pilot Sport behind a Class A Gas Bunkhouse?

Get a Jeep Wrangler. Just towed mine to Florida and back behind my 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL with no issues. BTW, it is really fun 4-wheeling on the beach. Kinda like driving in snow without all the cold. :-)
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vehicle: Your Pilot can't be towed flat because you don't have a transfer case that can be shifted into neutral and it can't be towed on a dolly because it is an AWD vechicle. To tow it, you will need to trailer it.

Motorhome: Most gas motorhomes have a maximum tow capacity of 5000 lbs (but mostly less than that - check the specs). A Pilot plus a trailer will put you over your weight limits by a couple of thousand pounds.

I suggest that you do a big rethink of what you really want to do and then decide how much you can spend to do it. You might want to stick with the fifth wheel for a few years or look for a good used diesel pusher (although bunkhouse units are a bit harder to find).
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sometimes it's not just the trans that keeps it from being towed. Could be the frame is too weak to put a hitch on or the wheels won't self center after a turn.
Honda hasn't allowed the Pilot to be towed since the 2004 year, although some 2005's got out with misprinted manuals that said it was OK.
I guess we have one of those 2005 Pilots with the misprinted manual. Our Pilot now reads about 230,000 km. It has been an absolutely trouble free vehicle. In addition, it has been towed for about another additional 60,000 km.

The trick is to obey the setup procedure for towing, and change the drive train oils very regularly.

I understand that the 2015 Pilot is not towable. It has a different transmission.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I guess we have one of those 2005 Pilots with the misprinted manual. Our Pilot now reads about 230,000 km. It has been an absolutely trouble free vehicle. In addition, it has been towed for about another additional 60,000 km.

The trick is to obey the setup procedure for towing, and change the drive train oils very regularly.

I understand that the 2015 Pilot is not towable. It has a different transmission.

Jim
We got the info about the "misprinted" manuals when we were negotiation with Honda's legal dept on a buy back of our '05 Ody. We got the OK that our Ody was towable in Sept '04 in writing on their letterhead and bought the Ody on Dec 26, '04. Got it set to tow and then started seeing on the web that Honda had changed their stance on it. Finally got it straightened out and they paid us $2,200 for the towing gear cost.
We towed the Ody on a dolly for several years, but went back to four down and have had no problems with it other than forgetting to release the parking brake, now I need to rebuild them!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #11

"Feel free to weigh in with your favorite bunkhouse models if you have one. So far we are leaning towards the Bounder Classic 36H or Coachmen Mirada 35BH)"

Fischerbug,
I ended up buying an older higher end DP and converting into a Bunkhouse. I would highly recommend this approach if you are handy. I included a link as a sample of what is possible. You get amenities this way that are not possible in many of the newer gas bunkhouses for the same investment.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...ationFlag=true

Regards
Andy
taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Just wanted to let any 2011 Honda pilots owners know that I towed my 2011 Honda Pilot for 10,000 miles this past winter and only had a problem with the battery being died. I solved that problem with a toad charge system which I purchased for 100.00.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas, tow