Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #15

Well Flyer,
Looks like you've got things under control. I'm not sure what the WR weighs vs my Yamaha TW200 but, the TW only tips the scales at 278. So, at least for me, I'm 69 and don't really have any awkward situations while walking that TW right up that little ramp and onto the tray. I see you're intending on using a winch for that purpose. Well, if you feel that's needed, then by all means, have at it. But, using the winch, as you will see, is really, really slow and that means, you'll have to be steadying that bike while it's sllllllllllooooooollllllllllllllly being walked up that ramp.

You can have it loaded and tied down, by the time that winch finished up bringing that WR all the way to the front chock. Again, that's up to you. You have to do what feels comfortable and safe for you, not me.

You mentioned you're tying to determine which "Power plug" to use. Well, not sure of what or where you intend to use this "Power plug" but, if I may suggest, look at Anderson Power plugs. They make anywhere from 50 amp to 350 amp versions. WE used 350 amp versions on our service trucks for the Fire Department. I use a 50 amp version for my winch plug for my Rampage lift/carrier in the truck when I haul either my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT or, my BMW K1600 GTL-Exclusive.

Anderson power plugs are designed polarity priority. Meaning, you can't plug them in WRONG. They're easy to setup and provide years of great and insulated service. This is of course, if you're speaking of using it where I use mine.

Oh, and don't forget to use the highest quality of hitch tightener that you can find for locking down that hauler to your receiver. I couldn't find any that weren't junk and didn't loosen up after a short haul on Americas less than perfect roads and highways. So, I made all mine. Good luck on your endeavor. It's always cool to bring along a motorcycle while touring our great country in an RV.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	348257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	348258  

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	348259  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fire up,
Thanks for the great information.
I ran AWG 8 gage wire up to the chassis battery, with a 20 amp fuse, and used a polarized plug, like on a battery charger, so I can not get it wrong.
I like your hitch locks and will make something similar.
I see you use a hitch "riser". My receiver is 24" off the floor so it should be high enough, but I do need an 18" extender to get the handle bars to clear the coach. Because of that, I'm thinking that I'll fabricate an additional support from the driver side of the hitch out to the MC rail to prevent any rocking.
I'll post pictures when it's done

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Fire up,
Thanks for the great information.
I ran AWG 8 gage wire up to the chassis battery, with a 20 amp fuse, and used a polarized plug, like on a battery charger, so I can not get it wrong.
I like your hitch locks and will make something similar.
I see you use a hitch "riser". My receiver is 24" off the floor so it should be high enough, but I do need an 18" extender to get the handle bars to clear the coach. Because of that, I'm thinking that I'll fabricate an additional support from the driver side of the hitch out to the MC rail to prevent any rocking.
I'll post pictures when it's done

Mike in Colorado
You're quite welcome Mike.
Glad I could be of assistance. Yeah, I do use a riser because, the attachment points for the tow bar on our Jeep require that entire carrier to be lifted so the tow bar can be as close to level as possible. All it means is, the ramp for the bike(s) is a little steeper than normal. No biggie. If there's anything else you'd like to know about this type of m/c hauling on an RV, surely ask.
Scott
Old 11-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well folks, we got -r- done.
Since the hitch receiver is 29" off the ground, and there is not room to ride her up, we copied an approach I saw on Youtube.
Did a test load today and everything works as planned. hooked the cable to the right foot peg. hit the button on the wireless remote and pulled the WR 250 R right up the ramp at something just under walking speed. I did add 4 extra eye bolts to the out riggers as I don't trust the little welded hoops on the ends.
Had to use a 14" extension to get the handle bars out to what I consider a safe distance from the coach, but two "Meta Hardware" HEAVY DUTY hitch tighteners make the whole thing rock solid.
I'm a happy camper !!!

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20211118_152804_HDR_p.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	349264  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #19

Well Mike,
As long as you're happy with the total arrangement, that's all that counts. We've been toting motorcycles along on our excursions for years and years now, either on the back of the coach or, towing out truck and the bigger bike in the back of it, on a Rampage lift/carrier. It's always fun having a two wheeler to jaunt around on while we're traveling. If I haven't stated it, I have three different bikes I can drag along with us.

One is a Yamaha TW200 which, is just a small little tractor bike that isn't very fast but, it's ton of fun scooting around on city and county roads and trails. The second bike is a Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. It's a lot bigger than the TW but, it can ride the two of us easily and it handles all the faster, longer distance riding and even some forest service roads.

Then, if I know we're gonna be doing a lot of motorcycle touring/sight seeing together, I hook up the truck, put the Rampage lift carrier in it, and load up our 2015 BMW K-1600 GTL-Exclusive. Now that's class!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2878.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	349337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3751.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	349338  

Name:	IMG_3894.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	349339  
Old 11-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Scott.
With 3 bikes, a jeep, truck and a diesel pusher, you have a whole lot more $$$$$ than me.
My first trip with the new set up is scheduled for Bike Week in Daytona, 3/3/22.
Mike
Old 11-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #21

Mike,
With the exception of the 2018 Honda Africa Twin, everything else was purchased used. The Twin was bought new because, it was two years old but not sold on the show room floor and, it was an outstanding deal. There's no way on this planet I could afford all of this NEW. And like you, I've been a DIY type ever since I could work on my tricycle when I was in kindergarten.

Being able to do as much for one's self as possible for decades and decades, does help tremendously when considering a used piece of equipment for purchase. At 69 years old, I'm still doing as much as possible for myself when it comes to any and all RV, motorcycle, Jeep, truck, boat and more maintenance, repairs and modifications. It's the ONLY way I can afford this crap.
Scott
Old 11-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, i get that.
I'm 79 and still working as a sales rep for 4 foundries, 2 machine shops and a sheet metal company. I cover Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico.
I retired from John Deere in '87, as a welding engineer, and owned a KOA for 10 years, prior to getting into sales. Being a campground owner, I've seen my share of "campers" and worked on a lot of rigs to get them back on the road.
If you know what I mean...............

Mike in Colorado

Tags
toad