Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Wrangler 2021 Bumpers

Which model (s) of 2021 Wranglers have steel bumpers instead of plastic. I am looking to buy a 2021.

Thanks
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #2

I think they all have plastic covers. You will need your mounts to go directly to the frame. Either you purchase a full steel framed bumper or system such as Roadmaster with direct frame mounts. I installed the Roadmaster system / mounts to my 2012 F-150 all by myself... I was proud of myself!! LOL. So far after over 10,000 miles of my truck being my toad... All is good!! I believe if you check e-trailer for example you will find mounts made for your application versus having to have custom mounts made up for an aftermarket bumper. Also, think about a braking system. Hope this helps, Happy Trails!! Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_145928.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	317382Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_145902.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	317383
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #3

As mentioned, I think they all have plastic covers. I was looking at new Jeeps just a few days ago and I don't remember any of them having a solid metal bumper.

What I wish that I had did when I set my 2020 Wrangler up for towing was to purchase a metal bumper such as a Rock Hard or something similar.
You will have to purchase base plates or a bumper that has the tow bar brackets on it.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #4

If you are ordering a Rubicon, you can specify the "Steel Bumper Group" for $1,645 as an option package.

I believe (but not entirely sure ...but we can check) that the Rubicon is the only model that you can get the steel bumpers from the factory. Other models you'll either have to order them separately and have the dealer install or do it yourself after delivery.

I'm in the process of configuring an order for either a Rubicon or Sahara so those are the only models I'm concentrating on ...I'll probably go with a Sahara as I'm not planning on doing much off-roading.

Here's a Rubi with the steel front bumper option shown from a Roadmaster photo ...go HERE

And a Rubicon with a standard plastic covered bumper ...go HERE

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubicon Steel Bumper Group.png
Views:	87
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	317441  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #5

I just went to the configuration pages and it appears to me that the Rubicon is in fact the only model that can apparently be configured with factory steel bumpers. So again, otherwise, you would have to order them and retrofit yourself or find an after-market alternative that would be appropriate for your needs.

To repeat showing the difference in the front steel bumper compared to the standard bumper ...go HERE for a JLU Rubicon with the standard and HERE for the steel bumper on a JLUR.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:35 AM   #6

We bought a 2019 Rubicon with steel bumpers which accept a winch. We installed maximus 3 tow hooks which work great. If you aren't going to install a winch I think that the standard bumper is fine since the tow bar equipment bolts to the frame and not the bumper. My .02
Old 02-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

I'd still rather go aftermarket with a steel or aluminum bumper that had the tow bar brackets built into the bumper.

The link is to Rock Hard and this is just one of the many bumpers for Jeeps they make. You choose which tow hooks you want when you order.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90211.htm
Old 02-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought the full width Rock Hard steel with Roadmaster mounts about a month ago for my 2019 Wrangler. Has the dedicated Roadmaster mounts, two shackle mounts and a winch mount. It is beautifully built and a beast out of 1/4" steel plate. Easy to hook up. FYI, they build them to order so plan on a month to get it by freight... worth the wait.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2019 JLU Rubicon that I use as my TOAD. The bumper that came with the vehicle did not factor into anything to do with towing it since the tow bracket I use is bolted directly to the frame UNDER the bumper. I had to make a couple of cuts to the plastic covering under the bumper, but the cuts are not visible, even when the tow system is not rigged.
CaptLou is offline   Reply With Quote