Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #15

Keep us posted, we are looking for both a Kayak and a rack for our TJ, maybe we should just go inflatable?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Keep us posted, we are looking for both a Kayak and a rack for our TJ, maybe we should just go inflatable?
We thought about inflatables before buying ours. They are expensive and people tell us they do not track as well.

We got these from Costco http://www.costco.com/Lifetime-Tamar...100036186.html with shipping included we could not find a better deal locally (Florida Keys).
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
So my question is does anyone with a 3 piece fiberglass hardtop have a kayak rack that is not one of those exoskeleton tube type things that attach to the windshield hinge in the front and frame or body in the back?
Hi Mark,

I carry my kayak on the JK hardtop with a few pieces of foam and some straps. It has worked fine for six months. I bought one of those swimming pool floating noodle things and put three pieces of it on the kayak (at the touch points) before tossing it up there. One strap at the rear (to the hitch), one in the middle (side to side movement), and a piece of line at the front onto the hood.

Not saying this is the most expensive approach though. It would be swell to spend $1k or more on racks just for the kayak but not in my budget.

I suspect two kayaks would work just as well but I've never tried that.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks JD,
The two kayaks may be a little wide for that but I won't know until and if we ever get the Jeep.

So far we can't get anyone at the dealer to respond to us. Tomorrow will be one week since DW first inquired about it via email to their online sales. We waited at least 20min to get a salesman, who was either uninterested or stoned to give a a test drive.

Since then we contacted another dealer to see if he can "locate" that one but he isn't sure they will give up a 2015.

Amazing how hard it is to spend $30K. Guess we can keep the old Tracker for free and figure out how to get the kayaks on top of that.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
HD4Mark, here is my setup, have been using it for a couple of years without any problems.
Installed Yakima Side Loader Brackets in the back and use Yakima 1A Raingutter Rack system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak rack_1.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	71406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak on Jeep.jpg
Views:	4286
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	71407  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my two cents worth. When you get to Florida and want to go out with the JK and the kayaks, if you have the hard top off, then you will have to put it back on to transport the kayaks if you go with an option that mounts to the hard top. Taking the hard top off and putting the soft top on is a good task which requires more than one person. They come from the factory with the hard top on and the soft top collapsed in the back with a warning that the owner needs to remove and run with only one top. In order to remove the soft top you need to remove the hard top. What I am getting at, you may be ahead to remove the hard top at home and store it, and tow it only with the soft top. So if you only have the soft top your back to your exoskeleton carrier. I have a 2014 JK(2 door) and run it all the time with only the soft top. I had to buy an additional shed to store the hard top at home. Will you have storage in Florida for the hard top? Part of the jeep experience is enjoying the outdoors with the soft top down. I am pretty sure that will be your choice if you enjoy kayaking in the outdoors.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
HD4Mark, here is my setup, have been using it for a couple of years without any problems.
Installed Yakima Side Loader Brackets in the back and use Yakima 1A Raingutter Rack system.
Thanks Grant! It is nice to actually see the parts listed from a working setup. I start browsing all the Yakima and Thule options and get lost real quick.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Good news! DW ordered one from the factory last night. Found another dealer near by that actually wants to sell us one. You know what the other one can do.

Grant,
Thanks for the heads up on the side loaders. DW actually found those online last night and I think it will be the solution. One question. Do they attach over the doors the same as in the back? Without actually owning it yet it is hard to get a picture in my head.

Peter,
Storing the top will no problem. I have a spot picked out in the garage at home and the CG we spend the winter in is very good about storage for extended stay customers. The hard top will stay on until we get there then the kayaks won't travel so the soft top or mostly no top will be OK. It will go back on for the return trip.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
HD4Mark, I only use the Side Loader brackets in the back. Use the gutter in the front.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote