Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Wrangler Toad Owners

Hi all. Question specific to those of you out there that tow a Jeep Wrangler. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2015 Willys Wheeler edition and will be setting up to tow when it arrives.

I'm intending to replace the stock bumper with an off-road bumper I can direct connect my Blue Ox Aventa bars to. I prefer this option over the traditional base plate.

So: for you Jeep owners that have an aftermarket bumper you use to tow - which one did you buy? I have researched a little bit but would like some recommendations of ones I should give a look at that I may not have considered.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
HikerMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one from Rock Hard, albeit on a TJ not a JK. Their products are well made.

Two ways to connect to an aftermarket bumper. I have used both and in my experience work equally well.

1) adapter brackets for the tow bar that connect to D-ring lugs on the bumper.
2) blue ox makes bolt-on to the bumper brackets that their tow bars mate up with.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

I have the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper which I put on the Jeep about year after I got it. It is supposed to work...

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 on the RockHard (albeit on a TJ; front and rear). HOWEVER, I was stupid and purchased the BlueOx baseplate for the TJ first, and am connecting to that instead of the RockHard. They are both very good products -- it might just come down to looks, for you. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 AM   #5

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I am in the same situation as you. I have a 2015 JKU Willys on order, it is on a railcar now heading to FLA now. I have been looking at LoD bumpers, they will weld on towbar tabs as a special order at no extra charge. Check out this thread from WranglerForums

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/20...ad-401650.html

Keep us posted on what you decide.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rock Jock tow bar mounting kit from Currie Industries

Hi, I decided I liked the look of my stock bumper and looked for a solution that mounted high. I purchased the Blue Ox BX 1126 and a Rock Jock CE 9033JK. (long story as to why I had both). When the Rock Jock arrived I laid the two side by side. No contest I am selling the 1126. The Rock Jock is a full steel plate that replaces the factory plastic valance. The install took me a couple of hours. Removed the plastic valance then used my zip saw with a metal blade to trim the excess vertical frame members flush at the front mating edge. Painted the exposed steel from the cut on the frame. I then laid on my back and lifted the plate into position and bolted the front to existing holes. At the rear only two holes line up. I C-clamped the back to the frame and drilled the three additional holes into the cross member. Inserted the bolts, removed the clamps and done. My Aventa pins right in. The mount is high n tight and I keep the look I like.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have an aftermarket bumper built by LOD bumpers. I contacted them when ordering and they were willing to weld Towbar pin tabs on the bumper itself. I don't use any sort of a baseplate. It takes me 2-3 minutes to hookup. My JK is a 2012 Rubicon with a 2.5 inch lift kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	85526  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #8

My TJ unlimited has a Smittybilt XRC front bumper, with bolt-on brackets to match my Roadmaster tow bar. My Jeep is a backup toad, only towed occasionally.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
X3 on the RockHard. I have it on my '12. When I ordered it in 2012, you could specify either Blue Ox or Roadmaster tabs installed. I would assume thats still the case.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #10

I have been using the Currie Rock Jock tow plate for 3 years works great.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
On my 03 TJ I have a Hanson bumper with the Blue Ox bolt on brackets.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

X 4 on the Rockhard.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #13

I tow my JK with Hanson bumpers using the shackle mount. My friend owns GenRight and approves using his bumper shackle mounts for towing. For those who think my answer is odd, GenRight did not have their bumpers out at the time I upgraded my JK. I have his aluminum fenders and rockrails on my JK.

GenRight Offroad | JEEP RUBICON | JEEP ACCESSORIES | OFFROAD WRANGLER | LED TAIL LIGHTS | GAS TANKS
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Warn Elite bumper with a Zeon 8000-S winch and a Blue OX Alpha Towbar with 7/8" Off Road Adapters that connects the towbar to the bumper. Did have a Blue Ox baseplate like the new setup much better. I'm using a Brakebuddy Stealth brake system.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad