Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Yet another TOAD wiring question - but this one's different.

I was using a 2015 Jeep Wrangler for our TOAD behind our Class C. The rig has a 7 way plug and I got a 7 way to 6 way cord to run between the TOAD and rig. I'm using a Readybrute Elite II towbar/braking system so I don't have electrically operated brakes on the TOAD. On the 2015 I used a Hopkins plug and play wiring harness for the lights on the Jeep. I got a brake light disconnect kit from NSA that cut power from the Jeep's brake light system so it wouldn't conflict with the signals being sent by the RV's brakes/signal lights. The relay on the NSA kit was wired to an ignition source on the Jeep so it would provide power and allow the Jeep brake signals to function when the Jeep was running. I just sold that Jeep and bought a 2020 Wrangler as a replacement. I ordered another brake light disconnect kit from NSA as I'm going to continue using the Readybrute tow bar on the new Wrangler. But, the new brake light disconnect that NSA is selling has a relay that needs constant power in order for it to stop the Jeep brake light signal from interfering with the RV brake light signals. I guess that's safer as it would default to the Jeeps lights working if there's no power to the relay. The old one required power in order for the Jeeps brake lights to work. NSA is instructing that the power lead for the relay should be plugged into a cigarette lighter in the TOAD when it's being towed. I don't like that idea. What I want to do is power the relay through the electric cable from the RV using the RV's power rather than draining down the battery in the Jeep. That way when the cable to the RV is unplugged there's no power to the relay and the Jeep's lights are the default signal. This is where it gets confusing. I've searched here and all over the internet and can't get a straight answer. I see lugs on the 7 way plug and the 6 way plug (I'm going to use a 6 way on the new Jeep) that show brake power in two different locations on the plugs and also uses different names for the Auxiliary lug. Some diagrams show the center lug for backup lights so show it as an auxiliary. What is everyone else finding for the location on the 7 way and 6 way connector that supplies constant power?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

CaptainSkip-

Correct wiring diagrams are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
CaptainSkip-

Correct wiring diagrams are here.
I've copied and printed the same diagrams that are linked above and have them stored in my toolbox. Whenever I do any trailer wiring I pull the sheets out and check the diagrams.

Look carefully at the link/diagrams, there are different styles of 6 way and 7 way plugs (round and flat), identify the ones you're using, then use that diagram.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #4

I believe Roadmaster has the relay setup you need. I installed one on my 2017 Wrangler.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
If you have space behind the tail lights, install a separate bulb and wire them through to your plug. Easier, probably cheaper and most importantly, you don't touch the tow vehicles wiring. I did that on my toad, still going strong 16 years later.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
Commercial Member

CaptainSkip -

Unlike previous Jeep Wrangler models, your new 2020 Wrangler JL will go into sleep mode 1-3 minutes after the last door is closed. In sleep mode, the brake lights will NOT function if commanded by the Jeep. Try this test to see what I am saying. Roll down the driver's window, turn the key off, remove it and step out of the Jeep and shut the door. Wait about 3 minutes. Reach in through the driver's window with the handle of a broom and depress the brake pedal. No brake lights.

If your aux braking system requires a brake-depress-confirmation-signal, then you really have two alternatives. You can rig a switch to the brake pedal, or you can put a stop switch in the hydraulic brake line somewhere near/around the master cylinder under the hood.

[Mod Edit]
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring