Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

'14 leprechaun or '08 Greyhawk

Hi all, long time stalker of the forums recently registered. Yet another post about a first purchase but with a scenario we haven't seen posted.

So my wife and I (plus 6 month and 115lb Newfoundland) are looking to make our first MH purchase. We are long on tent camping but with a recent move to Texas and addition to the family (baby) we are really looking for a MH to get out and see the south. We will also be making atleast annual pilgramages back to New England in the winter

We have been searching for about two months and have narrowed it down to two MH's with floor plans that work for us. Our questions revolve more on the does a new construction (woodless), HD TV, previous ownership and so on play much into what you would get, and given the two options what are your thoughts?

As a disclaimer I have used the search function extensively and have read a lot about these models, so here goes.

Option 1: 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS with 22k miles. This unit came to our dealer from a rental company that folded. The unit appears to be well kept but appears to have almost no options (manual awning, cloth seats, and so on) We like that we get the power train warranty, all laminate floor for the dog and that it is woodless construction but worry that it was a rental and thus loved and driven harder. When looking at it the over cab bunk was very wet. The dealer said he believes the vent was left open and that is where the leak came from...we did get 4" of rain 3 days ago. While 10k more than our other option the per month is not all that much.

Option 2: 2008 Jayco Greyhawk 30GS with 8k miles. In person this unit says it was well loved. Comes with running boards, power awning, inverter, and upgrades throughout. The fornt tires are brand new (little nubs still on them) and rears looked very good but I couldnt find a DOT date. It has a cover and the paint is flawless, almost like it was stored indoors with a cover on. We find layout ok (just like the Coachmen a wee bit more), and low mileage but worry that low mileagae also means it has sat a lot. This unit is 10k less.

Also while our local dealer sells the Coachmen brand our particular sales guy seemed to be very partial toward the Jayco as a "better product"

I appologize for the winded post but really appreciate the feedback.
mdpolakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #2

We bought a 1998 Southwind this year. It had few issues from sitting unused. The biggest were brake work and old tires. IMHO, a 2008 should not be old enough to have significant problems from sitting. From my reading of your descriptions, and the way I think, the 2008 Jayco would be the "no brainer" choice. You can buy a lot of gasolene for that $10K difference.

Part of my reasoning is depreciation. On the 2008, someone else has already taken the big hit. The 2014 you described already has 22,000 miles, and will depreciate another $10K almost as soon as you own it. If I were to spend the money for a 2014 (and I probably wouldn't, even if I had it), I would want it to be fresh and new with almost no miles.

Best of luck, with whatever you choose.
GrampaDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

I agree the Jayco is the better product. The salesman might be saying that because he'll make more money on it. Our 1999 Jayco has 17k miles on it. It's not like the mileage on cars where 10-12k per year is the norm.

Good luck !

Dave
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

To the OP - I'd be real scared about the Coachmen with the wet bunk. And very suspicious about the reason the dealer said. It may be true but... I say this because there is a horror story thread on another forum about a possible design flaw in newer Coachmen's resulting in cabover leaks. Check out RV dot net in the class C forum. As I recall, the title of the thread is pretty descriptive and should be easy enough to find. It had an update in the last few days so shouldn't be too far from the top.

To the Mods - Not sure if I am supposed to steer people to other websites but it is totally relevant to the OP's question.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback so far. The thread on the other site like this is a real mess of a situation.

It is too bad, we really liked the length of the slide on the Leprechaun. This is where knowing that the Jayco is well received for construction and that it appears to be from a well loved home is important.

Thanks all, look forward to some more responses.
mdpolakow is offline   Reply With Quote