Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

1977 Dodge Mobile Traveler - suggestions for re-painting?

Hello all! I own a 1977 Dodge Mobile Traveler RV that I've spent a whole lot of money on in the past 5-6 years, and the one thing that's unfortunate is that the exterior still looks terrible. The paint is chipping and peeling all over the place, and the fiberglass that's above the wheel wells doesn't look that great either.

Does anyone here have any suggestions regarding cost effective ways that I could re-vitalize the RV exterior? I don't really have the time or the space to do it myself, and I can't really afford to have it professionally restored. But I'm thinking surely there must be a more cost effective way to strip and repaint it.

Here are some thoughts that I've had .. based on my discussions with different folks over the past couple of years:

1) I was told that the hardest part is removing the old paint. You can't really sand blast it, because that would likely puncture the aluminum. It could probably be done by hand, using paint stripper or sand paper .. or maybe even a using power sander. But that would still take a very long time. It was suggested that blasting it with "plastic pellets" might work best, though, as it likely wouldn't puncture the aluminum.

2) If I could get someone to strip off the old paint, would a place like Maaco be able/willing to repaint it? Or do they generally not work on RVs?

3) If I had someone re-paint it using Rustoleum spray paint, .. how long can that kind of paint job that be expected to hold up ...assuming that I'd be storing it in an indoor, climate-controlled environment during the winter months?

4) Is there some other kind of paint or paint like material that I could apply to the exterior that would work and look better than spray paint?

5) What if instead of stripping and repainting the old aluminum, .. I instead just completely covered the old aluminum with new aluminum or fiberglass (or some other type of material)? Would that be ridiculous? Or too expensive? Or would it add too much additional weight?

6) Any other tips / suggestions??

7) Can anyone here recommend someone in the New England area that might be willing to take on this project (sometime after the middle of September this year) .. meaning someone who'd be mindful of the fact that I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a professional restoration? I just want someone who has the space and the time to do it, and who'd be willing to go the cost effective route .. using spray paint, etc.

Please advise. Thanks so much!
- Yvan
ygagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

I would take a trip to Bump & Grind Auto Body in Kingston and ask them the same questions. They do RV body repair and paint. There is another RV body repair shop somewhere towards Keene. If I find a link, I'll post it.

If you're more of a DIY person, you can do a decent job with a compressor and a Harbor Freight spray gun. Prep and masking are most of the work.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Not as close to Keene as I thought.

http://www.baileysautobodynh.com/rv-shop/rv-body-shop/
Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #4

Check into soda blasting. Not many places do it but it should be safe and it is not abrasive.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a crazy "outside the box" thought, Yvan:

If I had a '77, I'd consider taking a late Fall vacation with it down to Puerto Penasco and watch 'em crawl all over it sanding it down and then watch 'em spray paint it .... right on the beach. I have read where they will work with you to pick out the paint scheme and even have artists who will put a mural-type scene on the back or whatever. Caveat: I have never been there....just enjoyed reading a blog or two (with pictures) by folks who have. Of course if your rig is in the "classic/show" category, the work might not be up to your req'ts, quality-wise...dunno.

It might be worth checking it out online..... or not.

Goof luck with your project ..... love seeing those older, well kept rigs on the road...they're neat.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

If you are going to be in New England area, I would be interested in working on it...Rsant19779@aol.com I am a professional painting contractor, and also looking to get an RV soon...I know what the prep and painting system is that will work on your vehicle. I would do it at a reasonable rate... send some pics of it to above email. -Robert
AllPointsBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

Thank you!

Thank you all for your replies and advice! I'll be heading back up to New England next week, and will likely inquire with that Bailey's Auto Body place in Amherst. I'll be sure to call them first, though, as it's not uncommon for there to be waiting lists for these types of renovations this time of year.

What I find frustrating is that the time of year that one would typically want to seek out these types of renovations is usually at the same time that every other RV owner is seeking them. So if they're even willing to take on the renovation project .. you're lucky if you even get your RV back before the end of camping season!

Youracman -- do you have a link to that Puerto Penasco blog that you could share with me, perhaps?

AllPointsBob --- Where in New England are you located? Do you have your own shop or property where you'd be able to do the paint job? And roughly how long does a job like this typically take? (the RV is about 17' long)

Thanks!
- Yvan
ygagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't seem to come up with those blogs, Yven but here is a link to a rather long (and fairly recent) thread on the subject......hopefully it will work. It rambles a bit, but it contains a lot more specific info than the blog(s) did. Both pros and cons discussed, so that should help.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gett...-335793-2.html

I found the above link by "Googleing Up" Puerto Penasco, irv2 For me that always seems to work better than the irv2 search engine (probably operator error on my part.)

Good luck and safe travels.............. Ed S
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, paint, travel