Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
1983 Tioga E350 Fuel To Carb issues

Hi All,

I'm new here. I've tried Ford forums with no help so far so I thought I'd try here. Glad to be here and I hope to learn more and hopefully help others where I can.

So I recently picked up a 1983 20 ft. Tioga Fleetwood E350 with a 7.5 liter 460. It was sitting for about 7 yrs. Ran before parked. So I did all the proper preparation before trying to turn it over. My issue is when I turned the key on I didn't hear the fuel pump do anything. I'm not sure if it is factory... but it has an inline electric fuel pump mounted to the frame right after the gas tank (1 tank only) with a small metal fuel filter "barrel" which is in between the tank and the fuel pump. But it wasn't doing anything at all. So I pulled the hose off the fuel filter, no gas. I pulled the hose off of the outlet of the pump, no gas. So I just assumed the pump was dead and I went to Napa and purchased a similar pump not exact but similar. I connected the wires and turned on the key and it makes a really loud noise but it is definitely pumping fuel out of the outlet now. Not sure why this new pump is so loud and why it constantly stays on when key is in on position. In my experience pumps just prime for a few seconds then shut down. Anyway, I moved up the frame closer to the front and pulled one of the rubber hoses off the fuel line to see if fuel was getting to that point and it was. From there the fuel lines disappear into the engine compartment. So I assumed fuel was being pumped to the carb. I went to turn the key on and the pump just chatters as it pumps really loudly with the key in the on position, It also shuts off while cranking the engine. Anyhow, still no signs of fuel getting to the carb. When I spray starting fluid in the carb the engine fires right up and quickly shuts down after it burns the starting fluid. No fuel smell anywhere near the carb. Does anyone have any idea where to look or what to check for? Can these lines be clogged? Could the fuel be blocked somewhere? Should I check for a filter at the carb inlet, could that be blocking fuel? I also noticed it has a "hot fuel bypass orfice or "T", right before the carb I pulled the line going into the top to see if there was fuel there not even knowing exactly what I was looking at at the time (I read what that was later) but no fuel there either. Not sure if there was supposed to be fuel there but there wasn't. Can these lines be blown back with air if I disconnect at the carb and in the rear? Anyway thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Iepsr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

Well, first off, How much pressure did the old pump put out vs the new pump? Is there a regulator somewhere in the line? The new pump could be wired wrong. What kind of carb are you working with? Carb could be gummed up. Did you have fuel @ the carb? Look down inside the carb and pump the throttle and see if it is squirting fuel. Did you replace the fuel filter? Fuel pumps can look alike but be way different on the inside. The new pump might require a regulator. And yes the lines can be clogged..
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

Here is some good info. Read through it, some of it applies and some of it doesn't. It gives you places to look... One of the things I noticed was, You might have a carb filter on there. Look where the fuel line goes into the carb, it should be right there.
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

Is the carb an automatic choke and do you smell any fuel at all? The carb floats may be stuck in or the ends of the Jets could be gummed up with old fuel. Would look for a carb filter and soak everything I could see with carb cleaner for a day or two to be safe
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

If you haven't seen this thread it may be worth a read

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/tryin...se-229443.html
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowRAM View Post
Well, first off, How much pressure did the old pump put out vs the new pump? Is there a regulator somewhere in the line? The new pump could be wired wrong. What kind of carb are you working with? Carb could be gummed up. Did you have fuel @ the carb? Look down inside the carb and pump the throttle and see if it is squirting fuel. Did you replace the fuel filter? Fuel pumps can look alike but be way different on the inside. The new pump might require a regulator. And yes the lines can be clogged..
The old pump was not pushing any fuel. It had no signs of life. I do not know if there is a regulator. I just know that the knew pump pushes about 5 to 6 psi. The carb is factory. Not sure exactly but I do know it's never even changed so in assuming it's a motorcraft or whatever ford used. No fuel at the carb. No squirting. New fuel filter in the rear by the tank.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowRAM View Post
Here is some good info. Read through it, some of it applies and some of it doesn't. It gives you places to look... One of the things I noticed was, You might have a carb filter on there. Look where the fuel line goes into the carb, it should be right there.
I think that's my next step.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran1973 View Post
Is the carb an automatic choke and do you smell any fuel at all? The carb floats may be stuck in or the ends of the Jets could be gummed up with old fuel. Would look for a carb filter and soak everything I could see with carb cleaner for a day or two to be safe
I'm not sure, but there is no manual choke inside so I guess it's automatic. Absolutely no smell of fuel anywhere on the carb or near the engine.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you haven't seen this thread it may be worth a read

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/tryin...se-229443.html
I've read that. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

When I had a Ford 460 there was a fuel filter in the fuel line going to the Carb. It was located (almost hidden) alongside the frame. Somewhere in my garage is the special plastic tool (inexpensive) that is required to change it.

Have a good day - Darrel
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

Sea foam follow instructions to the letter. Carb needs soaking
vol445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 AM   #12

Lepsr55 ... Any luck getting it started?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Lepsr55 ... Any luck getting it started?
Yes I cleared the fuel and it started immediately after getting fuel. The carb right now is running very rich or burning way to much fuel as I have a lot if black smoke. I'm going to start by having the carb rebuilt and tuned then I will make sure I've got the right fuel pressure as well. The engine runs strong and sounds really good.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

Seeing progress is good. Good luck to you.

Tags
fuel