RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

1st Trip - Travelling from CT to SC

Hi,
I am new to the Thread. I am planning my 1st RV trip from CT to SC. We are renting a RV as a test (C Class) drive before taking the leap to purchasing one. This will be our 1st experience. We really don't have a destination except Myrtle Beach, SC. Can any offer suggestions to where to stop, where to visit, etc. With Covid, I thought I would take my family on a road strip for Spring Break. Oh yes, what is the best route. Also the places would need to be toddler friendly. .
RVnewbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #2

I just made this trip a little while ago. I didn’t go to myrtle but a little farther to mount pleasant. Remember don’t go through any tunnels. You’ll have to avoid them especially in Baltimore. You should also use the loops around DC and Baltimore and depending on what time your going through Richmond you may want to use the loop there also. Don’t rely on your GPS. It has no idea that you are in a large RV. Look at a map before you leave (I prefer a truckers atlas). Are you overnighting anywhere on the way down? Try to plan where you will stop if you are overnighting. I overnighted in emporia,VA at the Cracker Barrel. Wasn’t really overnight but 4 hours. I don’t know when you are going but if it’s within the next month the I95 route is safer as far as not getting into major snowstorm. If early spring you may want to take the inland route and comeback east. GL take your time and it helps to do some planning
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #3

CANT speak from experience on Myrtle Beach - but Charleston is very nice. We stayed at James Island SP and it was very inexpensive, with full hookups, very nice sites and lots of family activities.
BTW - great idea to do an extended rental before deciding to purchase, especially with little ones.👍
BlueRidgeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #4

It adds time and mileage but consider 84 to 81 or 287 - 78 - 81 to get past NYC - DC
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

Myrtle Beach State Park is a great place to stay. Well shaded spots, nice walking trails, close to anything you’d care to do in regards to shopping, eat, play. Huntington Beach State Park is also a great place to stay. Further away from MB close to great seafood, golf, great beach, walking trails, nature watching.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RVnewbee-

Welcome to iRV2!

Route suggestions:

A) For a newbee:
- 84 west to NY
- 87 south
- 287 south
- 95 south
- 695 west around Baltimore (can't go through the tunnels in your RV)
- 95 south
- 495 west around Washington, D.C.
- 95 south
- 295 east around Richmond
- 95 south
- your choice from there to Myrtle Beach

B) Less highway driving, two more bridges (one narrow):
- 84 west to NY
- 87 south
- 287 south
- 202 west
- 31 south
- 295 south at Ewing, NJ
- 1 south at Christiana, DE
- 301 south
- 50 west
- 301 south at Bowie, MD
- 95 south at Ruther Glen, VA
- 295 east around Richmond
- 95 south
- your choice from there to Myrtle Beach

Best to transit Baltimore and Washington on a Saturday or Sunday.

Places we have stayed along this route:
Philladelphia South/Clarksboro KOA in Clarksboro, NJ
Washington D.C./Capitol KOA in Gambrills, MD
Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD (recommended for D.C. exploration)
King's Dominion KOA in Doswell, VA
RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids, NC
RVacation Campground in Selma, NC
Fayetteville RV Resort in Wade, NC
Briarcliffe RV Resort in North Myrtle Beach, SC

Driving a large vehicle can be tiring. The RV you rent will be unfamiliar, too. We would stay at least two nights along the route from CT to SC- probably Clarksboro, NJ and one of the NC parks listed above. We try to make the first day's leg shorter. It allows for:

1) a late getaway
2) "shakedown" problems that might crop up on the road
3) less stress overall
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #7

Also in South Carolina!

Hi there, we're on our first trip with our new Class C (Winnebago View 24 G) and came from Vermont first to Tybee Island Georgia, then to Hilton Head Island. A couple of suggestions:

- Consider turning left in Wilmington DE and heading down the Delmarva to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. You CAN take your RV with propane tank through that tunnel, just make sure you know how to turn it off. They will ask you. Toll is steep (~$20) but so much easier than fighting through Baltimore-DC-Richmond. AND, you can boondock at the rest area right at the northern terminus of the tunnel!

- I'm curious about the person who says MB State Park is nice. I heard (and see from the map) that it is right on the approach to the airport, and therefore constant plane noise. Is that true? Might be something to consider.

- It's a a bit further than MB, but Skidaway Island State Park outside Savannah is lovely. They are pretty full, though, so check ahead for availability.

- Also, be forewarned. VERY few people down this way are wearing masks, even inside. Unless the establishment specifically requires it, folks aren't wearing them. Was very strange to me coming from a place with very high compliance.
jmlvt68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #8

I am getting so excited. Thank you all for all the helpful information. Our trip is in April so I will be putting a plan together this week. So many options. I really hope the weather is nice. I am a little nervous being that this is our 1st trip
RVnewbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #9

I'm also from CT, until June 2021 that is.

If your comfortable driving a large truck in traffic then go with GW bridge. I detest NYC traffic. Done it several times in a Suburban & Escalade and once in my RV. Big mistake with RV.

Much easier to go 84 through Danbury to Cuomo ( formerly Tappan Zee) bridge. Then stay on 81 through PA to bypass DC traffic. I've done this several times with my RV.

Can't offer places to stop for toddlers as I'm only stopping for fuel, food & doggie potty breaks.

Perhaps Luray caverns in PA?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
I'm also from CT, until June 2021 that is.

If your comfortable driving a large truck in traffic then go with GW bridge. I detest NYC traffic. Done it several times in a Suburban & Escalade and once in my RV. Big mistake with RV.

Much easier to go 84 through Danbury to Cuomo ( formerly Tappan Zee) bridge. Then stay on 81 through PA to bypass DC traffic. I've done this several times with my RV.

Can't offer places to stop for toddlers as I'm only stopping for fuel, food & doggie potty breaks.

Perhaps Luray caverns in PA?
^ THIS ^

You definitely want to bypass NYC, Phila., Balto., DC and I-95 doesn't get better traffic-wise until after Richmond. I would stay on I-81 and take I-77 or I-74 to head towards the coast.

Tags
travel