Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Commercial Member

2.2 Amp drain with battery switch OFF?

When I was connecting battery in prep for the season I noted a strong spark.
I then measured 2,24 Amp battery drain even with the battery switch Off.

Does this mean the switch is defective or that there was a mistake in the wiring?

2.2 Amp is enough to kill a battery pretty quickly. Only reason the battery lasted it's first few months was I have installed my own battery disconnect switch.

2016 Coachmen 22QB Chevy chassis, 3350 miles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check that any TV antenna booster is off, and any compartment lights. You could also try pulling one fuse at a time and watch the ammeter to find out what's causing the drain. Your LP gas detector is probably always connected, also radio memory and clock. Those are some of the things I've encountered draining my house batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is your LP tank a manual valve or an electric solenoid valve? A prior RV I had was electric and that alone drew 1 amp when turned on.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #4

Commercial Member

Thanks for the replies. I understand the suggestions to look for some item left "on"

I guess I have to wonder what the battery switch Coachmen installed as standard equipment is connected too?

I thought it was a battery disconnect switch but maybe it only disconnects some items in the coach and leaves others on.

Does anyone know what the switch is suppose to control?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have an inverter?
Mine in connected directly my batteries, so with the disconnect switch off, my remote display fir the inverter was still on. The inverter drew about 1.1 amps even ghough ig was off.

Take a look at you battery compartment to see if any small wires areconnected BEFORE the disconnect switch.

Dan
Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The battery disconnect switch is a solenoid. It must have power to open and close, so that's one item that must be wired directly. In addition, radio and ECU memory, LP detectors, and other devices are often wired directly instead through the disconnect.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The battery disconnect switch is a solenoid. It must have power to open and close, so that's one item that must be wired directly. In addition, radio and ECU memory, LP detectors, and other devices are often wired directly instead through the disconnect.
The solenoids for this are "Latching" , so they only get power when they have to toggle to the opposite position.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #8

Some things like inverters, starter relays, starters, etc are wired directly to the bats, by-passing the cut-off switch. Some inverters have a "hibernate" mode that kills most draws--reduced my draws to alsmost zero while in storage, off the grid....otherwise, adding a manual blade cut-off switch will insure total disconnect....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
The solenoids for this are "Latching" , so they only get power when they have to toggle to the opposite position.

Regards,

Dan
That is true, but they must be wired around a disconnect switch. If they were wired to be shut off with the disconnect switch, you wouldn't be able to turn them on again! I wasn't suggesting the relay required vast amounts of power, just that it is one of a number of things that aren't disconnected with the disconnect relay.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
The solenoids for this are "Latching" , so they only get power when they have to toggle to the opposite position. Regards, Dan
I don't think they all are latching. Mine was always very warm to the touch. I assume it was using power to "stay latched".
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #11

I'm willing to bet that most disconnect relays ( solenoid ) are not latching.

The are normally open and close when power is applied to the coil.

There will be no draw from them, when open ( disconnected ), because the closing coil will not have power past the switch.

They are not a phantom draw.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #12

I put a disconnect switch on my house battery so that there is absolutely no power to the unit
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Many items bypass a battery disconnect switch and are wired directly.

One only needs to check wires connected to battery pos post and which wires do not go to disconnect.

Then you need to ID what those wires feed.
Then you can hook a meter between those wires one at a time and the battery pos post to see which one is heaviest draw or if it is a accumulation of all those------parasitic drain
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I don't think they all are latching. Mine was always very warm to the touch. I assume it was using power to "stay latched".
On my sons Bounder, his AUX Start relay would also engage when on shore power, and yes, it was warm because the coil was energized and it was tying house & chassis batteries together for charging.

However, his battery disconnect switches were two small momentary rocker switches on a panel above the door. They had a center "OFF" position.

The latching relays on his coach were only energized momentarily to change the latching relay.

the way to tell is to count the number of "SMALL" terminals on the relay.
A regular relay will have two, a latching relay will have three ("turn on" & turn off", & gnd).

Some coaches may use a continuous duty relay, but that would sure be a waste of power...

Dan

Tags
battery