RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

2000 Tioga 31W Construction

Found a used unit with some leakage (big surprise) I pulled up the brochure from that year and it shows a diagram of aluminum framing along top edge but nothing else.

The forward overhang over the cab leaks right at the apex of the curve on each side.

Among other things, there is water staining on the headliner around the entire interior perimeter.

Oddly, there is no delamination or soft spots anywhere except the front edges of the cabover portion.

The roof is solid. It obviously has leaked.

My main question, if I peeled the fiberglass off, what does the construction look like underneath? Wood? Metal? Foam? Fiberglass? Thanks.

checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkthisout View Post
Found a used unit with some leakage (big surprise) I pulled up the brochure from that year and it shows a diagram of aluminum framing along top edge but nothing else.

The forward overhang over the cab leaks right at the apex of the curve on each side.

Among other things, there is water staining on the headliner around the entire interior perimeter.

Oddly, there is no delamination or soft spots anywhere except the front edges of the cabover portion.

The roof is solid. It obviously has leaked.

My main question, if I peeled the fiberglass off, what does the construction look like underneath? Wood? Metal? Foam? Fiberglass? Thanks.
I have a 2008 Tiogaearl 31w. I also have the factory drawings used in construction. If you get a message to me with your email I’ll be glad to send them.
It appears that the roof has 8 aluminum ribs spanning from side to side. Includes one at the rear and one at the cab over. These are 3/4 x 1 1/2 x .090 x 89 1/2.
There is also some plywood In Certain areas, Luan overall and some thin aluminum near the edges. They brace around openings, such as vents, AC etc with wood or aluminum.
I placed eternabond tape across the rear and where the cab over seal is when mine was new. Also sealed all fans, vents, skylight with the same. Eternabond is your friend.
I got the drawings from Bryan Gaughan at 1 800 322-8216. He is a factory customer service rep and was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Good luck. Tiogaearl

tiogaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid-read your post

Sorry I misread your post. My front cap is molded fiberglass. I donít know about your model. The sides of the front cap are like the main wall of the camper. Fiberglass, styrofoam, bonded to luan. I would not remove the fiberglass but tear from out the inside to repair it.
Call Bryan at Fleetwood.
tiogaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiogaearl View Post
Sorry I misread your post. My front cap is molded fiberglass. I donít know about your model. The sides of the front cap are like the main wall of the camper. Fiberglass, styrofoam, bonded to luan. I would not remove the fiberglass but tear from out the inside to repair it.
Call Bryan at Fleetwood.
Thank you very much.

It's a coach I am considering purchasing. My main concern is what the framing is made out of.

If the framing is metal, the insulation is foam then the water leak damage is simply a matter of fixing the luan/fiberglass at that front section and some interior paneling.

If the framing is wood, then to me the camper is radioactive and I should stay far away.

For the amount of water staining this unit has, I am sincerely impressed at the lack of de-lamination and rot in the sidewalls and strength of the roof assembly when my 300 lb body walks on it.
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote