Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #1

2007 Adventure not charging while driving

Hello we bought a 2007 Adventure 24.5' E-450 V-10 , when I plug it into shore power it charges my coach batteries, but when we are driving it is not even after several hours ? I have looked and looked but can not find anything wrong except I am only getting 12.8v at the back . I looked for a solenoid could not find one as seen on YouTube, I looked at the fuse box , I looked underneath the chassis to see if I could find a large wire nothing , I looked for a relay and only one under the seat near converter / charger . I can not find where the engine power comes into the converter it just stays at 12.8.dc I have called Adventure they have no manuals etc.. I wonder is anyone here has any ideas where the location is to check for a inline fuse some place or where to check the power at so I can fix it . thank you sure appreciate any help .
Koolaid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #2

it will charge up the batteries with genset or shore power only ?
Old 07-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #3

Look at your chassis battery and follow the non-Ford positive cable. That will lead you to the solenoid your looking for.

The solenoid and its cables go from battery to battery, not to the converter. It just connects the 2 batteries together when the engine is running.

Some clunk on and off with the key, so you may be able to find it from the sound. Also pushing the boost start switch on and off may make it clunk on and off.

My old class C had the solenoid right above the brake master cylinder.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #4

If the solenoid is not working as could be the case, he won't hear it clunking.

I would measure the voltage at the house batteries with the engine running and with the engine turned off to see if there is any difference. If there is some fluctuation, he might have corroded terminations somewhere along the way.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #5

Hi I could not find the cable some place it goes into converter or some other place ,I can see two small white wires going from the coach Batteries to a on /off switch , when I turn to off position it turns off the power from batteries to lights etc. I tried to find under the hood but it goes into a harness then cant find the large bat cable . I will remove the engine cover and look inside . also I looked for a solenoid and there is not one near the revivor . I went to you tube before I posted my message as its different . I will see if there is a panel access in back where the on/off is located . thank you guys it helps to chat here I appreciate your suggestions .
Old 07-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On (most) Class-C, the CHARGE SOLENOID connection to coach battery is mounted under hood, top of firewall, driver's side. When they go bad, they often CLUNK, but do not connect. You can locate usually by turning IGN=ON and listen for the CLUNK. (Some RVs, usually later models), use a CHARGE CONTROLLER** (to control that solenoid) that senses low batteries and if/when charge voltage is available, and it charges either/both batteries, one at a time, as required... chassis battery =USUALLY FIRST. (** Intellitec IRD/ BIRD Controller).
REPLACEMENT SOLENOID NEEDS TO BE ***CONTINUOUS DUTY RATED*** vs Starter Rated for Boost or Charge, otherwise they are short lived.

p.s./ TIP: My rig has Boost switch at steps, on wall, and BOOST solenoid hidden under battery switch/ 12vdc Breakers beside battery, under step, where CHARGE SOLENOID= under hood on firewall.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #7

Hello thank you , I checked under the hood I used a flash light and mirror could not find one , I went to you tube also I think I will try your suggestion and listen . I have search the entire rig even under chassis . there is the coach fuse box , ford in cabin under dash fuse box and there is a control fuse box under the hood . I checked all the fuses and power etc. today I found the 40A trailer light / Bat charger fuse under the hood using several diagrams the large fuse was bad , replaced it and working now but I still need to find where and how it charges the batteries incase it fails again . I appreciate your suggestions. I called Adventure Canada no diagrams , they sold and started up in Yakima wa. I called them and they do not have any as they started in 2010 and later . I have a 2007 Adventure 24.5' E-450 V-10 extreme weather pack most everything is covered or in the walls, I went under and opened a small area of wiring harness nothing for batteries so still a mystery.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:11 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If not under hood on firewall in front of driver, base of windshield, it may have the BIRD Controller, so maybe in compartment near/ adjacent to coach battery? (separated to protect from acid fumes). If so, may not CLUNK every time IGN=ON because it charges chassis first, if needed? No personal experience w/ BIRD.
https://intellitec.com/bi%E2%80%90di...delay-b-i-r-d/
Old 07-13-2022, 11:18 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One more thought for "location"= chassis battery POS+ should have TWO cables, one direct to starter, 2nd DIRECT to the CHARGE solenoid.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:48 AM   #10

thank you I have looked under chassis fire wall under hood all the way back nothing ? under seat where the converter is etc.. I did find a bad fuse the 40a main under the hood I also tested the fuse box and the fuse box under the dash I had no idea there were three . thank you
Old 07-15-2022, 04:09 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Please post some pictures from under the hood under the front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid1 View Post
thank you I have looked under chassis fire wall under hood all the way back nothing ? under seat where the converter is etc.. I did find a bad fuse the 40a main under the hood I also tested the fuse box and the fuse box under the dash I had no idea there were three . thank you
It's usually on the drivers side front.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most common problem of the CONTINUOUS DUTY solenoids is contacts/ plungers, not the coil, so they do CLUNK and not connect. TIP: (some) RV brands/models do use TWO separate solenoids, one for BOOST, and separate for CHARGE; some have argued that on IRV2, but MY Gulfstream has Boost under step and charge under hood. The argument is "only ONE shown on schematic", and MY response is because "Other is ON another drawing for the OTHER function". You cannot SEE my BOOST solenoid until you remove the BATTERY SWITCH AND 12VDC BREAKERS. HOPE this helps
Old 07-15-2022, 11:52 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid1 View Post

If no solenoid at TOP of firewall driver side, (base of windshield), DID YOU look for 2nd cable at Battery POS+ and follow it? Should go to this CHARGE SOLENOID, (where other goes to starter)? If nothing still, can you stand back 3-5 ft and shoot pictures of firewall, esp. driver side?

Tags
2007, charging, vent