Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

2008 E450 got wet and won't start

Yes I'm new, this is my first post. Sorry if this has been address before, I tried to search and found nothing. I Left the hood open in a big cloud burst and now the engine wont start. I can spray starter into the intake and it will run until I stop spraying. I get a PO191 error code (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance). I'm assuming I have no fuel pressor or a bad fuel pressure sensor. Does anyone have a suggestion? How do I test the pressure sensor or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new one for $80 to $100 and hope for the best? I guess I should test the pressure, how is the best way to plug into the system to test that pressure. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated, thanks Howard
vanfleetlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #2

Hi Howard,

It sounds like your fuel pump in the fuel tank is not working.

Listen by the fuel tank to hear the fuel pump run for about 6 seconds after turning the key to power up the ignition. It may be a two person test.

If the fuel pump is silent, then it is not working. Check your fuel pump fuse(s). Your owners manual will be useful for that. While you are at it, check the other fuses too. Maybe water got in and shorted the fuse panel. Take the fuse cover off and let dry.

Another thing to try is resetting the fuel pump inertia switch. It looks like this. Mine is located in the passenger foot well, right side kick panel, reached from above, pressing down towards the street.

If your fuel pump is running for that 6 second period, then I am of very little help.

Ron Dittmer
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I forget to mention that, I did find and reset the crash sensor, I found it after about a week of trying to trouble shooting it.

I checked all the fuzes and relays.

I tried listening for the fuel pump but didn't hear one :-(
Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Take the appropriate fuzes out and test them with an OHM meter. They may look good but in fact be blown.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanfleetlh View Post
I tried listening for the fuel pump but didn't hear one :-(
No fuel pump buzzing sound means your fuel pump is not working. BUT the problem is most likely a messed up relay in the under-hood fuse panel. Locate the appropriate fuel pump relay. For testing purposes, swap it with another identical one purposed for something else that is working.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pump relay is the fuse box on driverside just behind the headlamp, the inside of the cover tells you what fuse and relay feeds the fuel pump. I have soaked my 07 numerous times to clean it, I doubt that an open hood firing a rainstorm would cause your issue.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #7

I've check so many things I think i'm going cross eyed. I went to Auto Zone and got a fuel pressure gauge, if it has pressure I can eliminate the fuel pump. Does anyone have a 2008ish Ford e450 Super Duty that knows where the fuel test port is? Thanks!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #8

I have e150.. it's right on top of fuel rail.. about middle of eng.. some moved them to back of eng.. ford did not make eng for rv any different than pickups.. get a ford pickup or van repair book.. for same yr and eng.. like a 2008 ford e350 or f350.. at big box auto parts store.. it will tell you step by step.. and where and how much pressure..

I really would use compressed air and blow eng nooks and crannies dry.. check there is no water inside spark plug holes and heads. That same thing happened to me.. and cylinder heads filled with water.. so pull a plug boot or 2.. see if dry.. if you don't have compressed air..

Use all safety precautions ! Disconnect battery.. no open flame or spark.. and use starting fluid or electric contact cleaner of the fuel rail pressure sensor connection to clear out moisture.. and any place else it got.

It's a hail mary.. but if your fuel pump is that old.. I would think about changing..

Welcome to IRV2.. and Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you...
Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
It's a hail mary.. but if your fuel pump is that old.. I would think about changing..
Huuuuuh ... I HOPE that's not the case!!

I have a 2005 E450 with around 85K miles on it under my Class C motorhome and no one in the forums or anywhere else has recommended having a new fuel pump installed, yet, in my case.

For anyone out there who knows ... about when I should I start considering a fuel pump replacement ... as a bad fuel pump out on the open road, or worse yet - in the boondocks - can leave us stranded dead in the water?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 2001 Mini Winnie that the fuel pump would not work after sitting for the winter.
A Ford mechanic said to have someone turn the key to the on position and wack the bottom of the fuel tank with a good sized hammer.
It worked. It needed a new pump but got me going.
Good luck
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
No fuel pump buzzing sound means your fuel pump is not working. BUT the problem is most likely a messed up relay in the under-hood fuse panel. Locate the appropriate fuel pump relay. For testing purposes, swap it with another identical one purposed for something else that is working.
X2 the issue is the rain storm and water in some electrical equipment or wiring and probably not the fuel pump. A hair dryer may be your best friend. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
check there is no water inside spark plug holes and heads. That same thing happened to me.. and cylinder heads filled with water.. so pull a plug boot or 2.. see if dry.. if you don't have compressed air.
Since the engine will run on starting fluid the issue is a fuel delivery not an ignition. That said, assuming this is an injected engine it could also be an injector issue that affects all of the injectors. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May also have water in spark plug wells, Pull front plug wires and blow out w/ compressed air?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #14

thank-you all for your suggestions. I've been a few days getting my daughter moved. I added a schrader valve to the fuel line and tested the fuel pressure, zero pressure!! I tested the inertia fuel safety kill switch, it works fine. 12 volts is getting to the inertia kill switch. I wanted to test to see if the fuel pump was getting voltage but I can't get to the connector on the fuel tank. I put a stethoscope on the fuel take while my wife turned the key to the starting spot, defiantly no pump sound.

I fear it's the fuel pump :-( I love the idea of wacking the fuel tank, I will try that next.

I have pulled the two front plugs and blew out the hole.

30K miles on an fuel pump doesn't sound like a lot of miles. I hope it's not that. I filled the tank when I parked it back in June.

Tags
e450