Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
2017 Jayco Seneca - 2nd owner NO warranty

"Think" I found a good deal on a "new" Seneca HJ - w/4700 miles
But, there will be no Jayco warranty and that concerns me - mostly due to all the issues I understand can or will arise.
What dollar amount do you "pros" think a rookie should set aside for ... stuff ;-))
Said another way: "what's that 2 year warranty worth"?
Thanks
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems a good, top tier warranty would be around $4k or so if you chose to purchase one.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

I never thought about this. Is the original manufacturer's warranty not transferable? What about the chassis? Surely it's still under warranty?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

If its a Freightliner M2 then it should have a 2 year chassis warranty. There are some other companies that will sell you a warranty for a used unit.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco only honors the 2 yr warranty to the original owner - no transfers !
The rest might still be good ?!.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Yes, I believe the rest of the warranty might be good
Old 12-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

I called on a used (4500 miles) '17 Seneca in Buda TX. It was about 2 mos old when traded for a different model. The sales person told me that Jayco had 'extended' the original warranty to any new buyer, original 24 mo total.

So from what I gathered, seems it's not usually extended to a 2nd buyer, but it can be done.

(and they were asking about $10k less than a new one)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

I bought an 8 month old Tiffin and heard the same thing. I emailed Tiffin and told them I was considering buying and asked where they stood. They emailed me back and told me they would honor the remaining warranty as if I were the first owner. I would ask. What could it hurt?
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
To make "an exception" and extend it would be the right thing to do - and a good business / reference move, but ...
I actually called my contact at Jayco (whom I met at a factory tour) but he also said NO.
What does this say, when a company won't even stand behind a "new" product of theirs - speaks volumes on their real values : Jayco 1st, customer - not so much !!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems to make sense. Jayco is now owned by Thor, but this has been Jayco's policy for some time. It follows what they say on their website. 2-Year Limited Warranty | Family RV | Jayco, Inc. I will be curious to see if the warranty stays at 2 years or shifts to other Thor brand warranties.

Thor Industries, Inc. - Thor Announces Acquisition of Jayco for $576 Million

If the warranty is something that is absolutely essential, there are options to purchase one. It is quite likely that you can purchase this basically new RV for a steep discount that would more than offset the price of a new one. Our local advertisements yesterday had a 2017 fully loaded, full body paint Winnebago View with 2,500 miles on it that a private party was selling for $30,000 less than a dealer. Health related issues forcing the sale. If I had the budget, I would have bought it. It looks like someone did because it only lasted for 48 hours.

Tags
2017 seneca hj, jayco, warranty