Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

2019 Class C Koni shocks

Trying to order koni shocks for rear. Koni fsd 8805-1043 but back ordered from sept to feb. Anyone experiencing same. 2019 jayco class c model 22j... KONI SHOCKS PUSHED OUT TO DEC 16 THEN TO JAN 25 AND NOW END OF FEB.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 04:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Trying to order koni shocks for rear. Koni fsd 8805-1043 but back ordered from sept to feb. Anyone experiencing same. 2019 jayco class c model 22j... KONI SHOCKS PUSHED OUT TO DEC 16 THEN TO JAN 25 AND NOW END OF FEB.
I know this is probably a Ford VS. Chevy thing, but if you're not set on Koni's, I just added Bilsteins to my Class C. Ordered them and received in a couple days. Awesome difference in handling and ride.
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

It is a 2019 ford e450 and i believe they come from jayco with bilsteins, not positive. Will check some more, regardless the ride in not fun so read about koni fsd shock being the holy grail re ride and control already did loadmaster sway control bars front and rear and steering control support.. Thanks and hopefully can travel in spring with this covid mess
Old 02-05-2021, 05:20 AM   #4

I meant roadmaster not loadmaster front and rear sway control bars, also steering stabilizer. Made a huge difference. Want to add shocks
Old 02-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
I know this is probably a Ford VS. Chevy thing, but if you're not set on Koni's, I just added Bilsteins to my Class C. Ordered them and received in a couple days. Awesome difference in handling and ride.
This was our experience too. We are very happy with the heavy duty Bilstein shocks for our short E350 chassis. The ride is no worse than that of standard shocks.

Like you say, the Koni-FSD are supposed to smooth the rig out better. I would have considered them but they were so dang expensive and do not carry a life-time warranty like the Bilsteins.

When our rig was new, I had Koni-RV adjustable shocks installed. It was good I changed them to Bilsteins. You can read my experience by CLICKING HERE.

If your rig is short with a standard 158" wheel base like ours, you might find THIS POST interesting. I am "Very" pleased with the results.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
This was our experience too. We are very happy with the heavy duty Bilstein shocks for our short E350 chassis. The ride is no worse than that of standard shocks.

Like you say, the Koni-FSD are supposed to smooth the rig out better. I would have considered them but they were so dang expensive and do not carry a life-time warranty like the Bilsteins.

When our rig was new, I had Koni-RV adjustable shocks installed. It was good I changed them to Bilsteins. You can read my experience by CLICKING HERE.

If your rig is short with a standard 158" wheel base like ours, you might find THIS POST interesting. I am "Very" pleased with the results.
For the benefit of the OP considering Koni's Frequency Selective Damper ("FSD") shocks ... they do indeed carry a Lifetime Limited Warrany, just like some/all other Koni shocks. Read the last sentence in each shock's description at this link: https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...cts/Motorhome/

The Koni FSD shocks in the rear of our E450 based 24 ft. Class C have radically reduced the jolting in the rear of the coach that used to occur from highway cracks and potholes. This means that our chassis has a large weight carrying margin over what weight the coach places on it. This situation resulted in a stiff ride, that was really felt on sudden road surface transitions when the stiffness of it's common single stage damping shocks was added to that of the springs.

Regular single stage damping shocks, like Bilsteins and others, probably work just fine on motorhomes that normally are loaded much closer to their springs' design limits. In these situations the springs offer less-stiff resistance to highway cracks and potholes because the springs are already heavily biased towards their limit by the weight of the coach, hence lesser strength "jolts" are transmitted by the shocks into the coach frame when crossing the edges of highway cracks and potholes.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
It is a 2019 ford e450 and i believe they come from jayco with bilsteins, not positive. Will check some more, regardless the ride in not fun so read about koni fsd shock being the holy grail re ride and control already did loadmaster sway control bars front and rear and steering control support.. Thanks and hopefully can travel in spring with this covid mess
My unit is a 2020 30 ft class C on a 2019 E450 chassis. Handling was terrible, so I did the Bilsteins, A Roadmaster Front and Rear anti-sway bar and a Steering stabilizer. Huge difference. The shock upgrade will definitely help, but the other items are pretty common upgrades as well to get the most improvement in ride and handling. Good Luck!!
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
For the benefit of the OP considering Koni's Frequency Selective Damper ("FSD") shocks ... they do indeed carry a Lifetime Limited Warrany, just like some/all other Koni shocks. Read the last sentence in each shock's description at this link: https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...cts/Motorhome/

The Koni FSD shocks in the rear of our E450 based 24 ft. Class C have radically reduced the jolting in the rear of the coach that used to occur from highway cracks and potholes. This means that our chassis has a large weight carrying margin over what weight the coach places on it. This situation resulted in a stiff ride, that was really felt on sudden road surface transitions when the stiffness of it's common single stage damping shocks was added to that of the springs.

Regular single stage damping shocks, like Bilsteins and others, probably work just fine on motorhomes that normally are loaded much closer to their springs' design limits. In these situations the springs offer less-stiff resistance to highway cracks and potholes because the springs are already heavily biased towards their limit by the weight of the coach, hence lesser strength "jolts" are transmitted by the shocks into the coach frame when crossing the edges of highway cracks and potholes.
Interesting about their warranty. That was not the case for our adjustable Koni-RV shocks back in 2007. Thanks for the correction.

You make an excellent point with regards to "load margin".
If your rear axle is loaded to near capacity (as is our case), then the ride in back will be fairly smooth and easy on the house and contents. If you have 2000 pounds of extra capacity, you are going to experience thrashing. I am glad your Koni-FSD rear shocks was the solution.

Your point is the same as my point for up front, but I addressed the condition differently by changing the front coil springs with lower-rated ones. I was quite surprised how easy it was to do myself. I should have done that back in 2007. I was afraid to so something radical, finally got the nerve to do it this past summer. CLICK HERE for my write-up with pictures.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post

I installed Koni shocks on my Class A Bounder that I sold and they were great compared to the Bilstein's shocks that was on the RV, the ride was smoother and more control over all.

When the time comes I will be installing Koni shocks on my new class B+ motorhome but might as well and get some use out of the new ones for now.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #10

contact LTB AUTOSPORTS IN MELBOURNE FLA FOR KONI SHOCKS WHICH DO HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTEE. $158 EACH FREE SHIPPING. RECEIVED THEM IN 5 DAYS. GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH. OUR 2019 CAME WITH STOCK FORD SHOCKS WHICH ARE INADEQUAITE FOR THE LOAD

Tags
class c, koni, shocks