Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #1

2021 Thor Four Winds 28z

Looking for feedback or recommendations. I am looking at a 2021 Four winds 28z for our family of 4 . Never have owned a motorhome myself but have driven and been in many. I like the floor plan and features but how is the quality? Also has the new V8. I have read so many bad things about Thors quality. Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.
Rving21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #2

The Thor 28Z is an awesome floor plan. I was initially planning on going with that motor home. A local RV rental company rented these out for 2 years before they sold them. The wife and I walked through about 10 of them and you wouldn't believe the wear and tear. A lot of cheap materials that wear super easily through out the entire coach. We were impressed by all of the features but the state in which these motorhomes were in after just a couple years was unacceptable.

We ended up purchasing a Winnebago 31K. It was rented out for 2 years like the 28Z but significantly less wear through out. The build quality is a lot better and the brand has a long history of long lasting motorhomes.

When picking up the motorhome after purchase, I complained about the 28Z's quality to one of the Technicians. He said they had significantly more issues with the Thor motorhomes over the Winnebagos. So much so that they now have moved away from Thor to Forest River.

I dont know much about the new v8's but I know those Triton v10's run forever.

Hope this helps your decision making. I would suggest checking out Jayco, Forest River and Winnebago options. Thor is a no go for me.
AlaskaFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFly View Post
Hope this helps your decision making. I would suggest checking out Jayco, Forest River and Winnebago options. Thor is a no go for me.
Just as an FYI, Jayco is owned by Thor.

IMO, Forest River is no better than Thor, when looking in the same price range.

I do like Winnebago's but didn't find one I liked within my budget (and am handy and don't mind fixing things myself).
Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Just as an FYI, Jayco is owned by Thor.

Ah! I didnt know this, thanks. We have friends with a Jayco and its great quality. Plus they have only had issues with the leveling system. Everything else has been reliable.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:35 AM   #5

Thanks !! Yeah I am thinking maybe a travel trailer by winnebago might be better . I’m passing on the 28z, my gut says stay away from Thor products and just needed some outside opinions. Is Fleetwood/holiday rambler decent in the Class A ? I drove a Jayco Alante and was not impressed at all even though they have a better warranty.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #6

@Rving21 Are you looking for a Class A, Class C or Travel Trailer? I think answering that question first will help out a lot.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFly View Post
@Rving21 Are you looking for a Class A, Class C or Travel Trailer? I think answering that question first will help out a lot.
We are open but prefer a motorhome., just having issues with the quality control on them with my budget of low 100k.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

Consumers often need to make the decision as to what is most important...price or quality.

The better built RVs tend to cost more than the lower quality choices.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

As with most lower-cost units, there's a lot of variation from unit to unit. So far, I've only had to do one very minor repair to mine - they missed putting sealant along one side along the top of the front cap. I always check the roof on every new unit I buy very thoroughly. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
chs

Four winds I believe is the Camping World model of the Chateau made by Thor. If I'm right, your first step should be not to buy from Camping World. Very bad reputation. Sales, financing, and repairs.

I own and am very happy with our Chateau 28Z.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #11

Freedom is the CW-specific line. Four Winds are sold by many dealers, not just CW.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

That is the same model I am looking at, but it drives me nuts that it's a short queen. It seems impossible to find a full size queen these days, so frustrating.
cathib007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #13

Coming in June, a '02 with an '03 design 36OP Tiffin Allegro Bus. We are making one last long trip before selling. The normal wear out items have been replaced. Great Freightliner maintenance. Many upgrades, will be about 110,000 miles so just broken in. Price will be about $51K. Durable CAT 3126 330 HP engine. This coach has many more years left in it and it won't break the bank buying it. Stay tuned.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
chs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathib007 View Post
That is the same model I am looking at, but it drives me nuts that it's a short queen. It seems impossible to find a full size queen these days, so frustrating.
You can get one, but you will need to spend A LOT MORE Money for it.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
four winds, thor, wind