Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #1

2021 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE Class C

2021 Thor Freedom Elite Class C on Ford E350 CHASSIS. What modification could be made to help the steering and handling on the road. Having to constantly keep turning steering wheel.

GEFAN
gaffanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #2

You can install a Safe-T-Steer steering control. You can also replace the sway bars. I’ve done the safe T, sway bars and shocks. A proper alignment with correct caster numbers would help tremendously
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

Yes, what RangerZ said and to add to that a rear track bar it make the world the different, do a search.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffanning View Post
2021 Thor Freedom Elite Class C on Ford E350 CHASSIS. What modification could be made to help the steering and handling on the road. Having to constantly keep turning steering wheel.

GEFAN
I had the same issue, I installed Sumo springs to stable the back and had a alignment shop realigned the front and change the castors, so it drives better and no more wondering around.

Its common for the front to wonder on some E chassis motorhomes so you have to have it realigned to fix the issue.

Find a alignment shop that understands the problem, not just any shop.

Skips spring service in Las Vegas understands the issue with the Ford E chassis RV's.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
IM thinking of doing safe -T- steering should I also do both sway bars or can I get away with one and if so which one front or back
Ricg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:17 AM   #6

We have a 24' and I just ordered the full kit from Ultra RV.

Front and rear sway bars, rear trac bar, Koni shocks, and safe-t-steer. We drive throughout the Black Hills on very curvy roads, these made all the difference in handling. The last thing I will do is change the caster to - 5.5 degrees.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Stag...C-Handling-Kit
Old 09-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #7

Before spending money on pricey components, I suggest you read through the thread below.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html

We purchased a 2021 Thor Chateau 27R on the E-450 chassis last year. At roughly 14,000 pounds loaded it wandered around quite a bit. After reading that thread, I had the maximum amount of caster added to the front end and the wandering was reduced to an acceptable level, for me. It still wandered, but I was able to actually steer and drive the truck rather than just aim and hope for the best.
2whlzstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #8

Does the new Ford E450 chassis reduce or eliminate this problem. If not, whatís the advantage of the new chassis other than the 7.3L.
Iím new to the forum and looking at class 3ís with the Ford chassis!
Thanks
BCLII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:55 AM   #9

our 2019 Jayco class c 22j on a ford e450 chassis was a disaster to drive. changed both front and rear sway bars, steering stabilizer all from ROAD MASTER.added Kong shocks to the rear. made a big difference in control but still road like a truck. lowered tire pressures by 4 psi also which did help without compromising safety. short wheelbase chsssis tend to ride rough. Jeep Wrangler is an example
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:33 AM   #10

Changing caster to 5.5 degrees on Class C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
We have a 24' and I just ordered the full kit from Ultra RV.

Front and rear sway bars, rear trac bar, Koni shocks, and safe-t-steer. We drive throughout the Black Hills on very curvy roads, these made all the difference in handling. The last thing I will do is change the caster to - 5.5 degrees.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Stag...C-Handling-Kit

PDR John, what would changing the caster to 5.5 degrees do to the front end of the motorhome?
gaffanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlzstan View Post
Before spending money on pricey components, I suggest you read through the thread below.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html

We purchased a 2021 Thor Chateau 27R on the E-450 chassis last year. At roughly 14,000 pounds loaded it wandered around quite a bit. After reading that thread, I had the maximum amount of caster added to the front end and the wandering was reduced to an acceptable level, for me. It still wandered, but I was able to actually steer and drive the truck rather than just aim and hope for the best.
X2

Its the front end alignment is the 1st and best fix for the wondering problem, always start their 1st.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #12

I would start with weighing the unit and setting tire pressures according to tire charts. Over inflated front tires can make a motorhome quite squirrely. If I was doing just 1 sway bar I would start with the rear. On units with a longer overhang at the rear, a rear track bar would be a good starting point, but at shorter lengths, may not be as noticeable. Good luck.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:03 PM   #13

Adding caster increases the self centering of the steering. With zero caster the front of the rig doesn't change height at all as you steer away from center. So the weight of the rig does nothing to center the wheels. But with some caster, steering one way or the other lifts the front of the rig slightly, letting the steering return to center, the front of the rig lowers a bit. So the weight of the rig aids the return to center when caster is added. It makes the rig feel more natural to drive, it requires less attention to keep the rig going straight.
Before we had power steering, most vehicles didn't have much or any caster, because it also increases the effort needed to steer.

Quote:
PDR John, what would changing the caster to 5.5 degrees do to the front end of the motorhome?
DonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:

Yep, exactly what DonaC said, makes the steering wheel return to center when driving forward.

Tags
class c, free, thor