Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

2021 View/Sprinter, Rearview camera while driving

Hi all,

Just picked this unit from dealer. On the way home.

There is no rear view camera, as you drive. There is one, when your backing up.

Any thoughts on how to get a rear view camera view, while driving? I've seen some replacements for the rear view mirror on windshield This does have a rear view mirror but i can only see inside the coach, lol.

Thank.
jjarrell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2015 V and the touchscreen let's you turn on the rearview camera while driving. Check the options on your touchscreen menu.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman76 View Post
I have a 2015 V and the touchscreen let's you turn on the rearview camera while driving. Check the options on your touchscreen menu.
My Jensen does that too.. however too much screwing around while driving.. I want to install a momentary switch on the dash that is wired to force the camera to think I am backing up.. Then I can just press it when I want to see what is happening. I don't need it on all the time..
ChucksterCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You need to install a wireless camera and monitor if you want the rearview function. MB electronics do not allow the rear camera to come on when the vehicle is in forward motion. This is exactly the same as 99% of the automobiles out there with a rear view camera.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrell50 View Post
Hi all,

Just picked this unit from dealer. On the way home.

There is no rear view camera, as you drive. There is one, when your backing up.

Any thoughts on how to get a rear view camera view, while driving? I've seen some replacements for the rear view mirror on windshield This does have a rear view mirror but i can only see inside the coach, lol.

Thank.

For 2020 and above you are correct that you cannot activate the rear camera while moving forward. Only option is an aftermarket rear camera with additional monitor.

There are two very active and helpful View/Navion private groups on FB, one general one and one specifically for 2020+ units, that are more active for V/N info than this forum.

Randy 20J
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You need to install a wireless camera and monitor if you want the rearview function. MB electronics do not allow the rear camera to come on when the vehicle is in forward motion. This is exactly the same as 99% of the automobiles out there with a rear view camera.
That's what it is turning out to be.

Thank you.
jjarrell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Psxace Send a message via Yahoo to Psxace
I had the same situation. Ended up with a wired unit back view and two side cameras on a separate monitor. Mounted monitor in left top corner windshield. I can view what’s behind me and any vehicles passing me on either side with no blind spots. Installation was a pain but like wired over wireless.
Psxace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #8

It's a setting in the dash radio/camera unit. You might have to consult your manual to find it. Mine's on all the time, whether driving or backing, unless I defeat it with some other radio function. 2018 Navion 24V on a 2017 MB Sprinter chassis.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Issue on many/ most is camera has NO POWER except in Reverse; (Tied to BU Lights). If camera mounted Birdseye high, BEST if camera mounted Below Running lights (to reduce night glares on lens) and Powered from RUNNING LIGHTS; (then controlled by Headlight Switch)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:33 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
It's a setting in the dash radio/camera unit. You might have to consult your manual to find it. Mine's on all the time, whether driving or backing, unless I defeat it with some other radio function. 2018 Navion 24V on a 2017 MB Sprinter chassis.

Not possible on the 2020 and up V/N (2019 and up new MB chassis)
Old 05-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Not possible on the 2020 and up V/N (2019 and up new MB chassis)
That's a shame. Seems odd that a useful function would be discontinued, but I guess you get what you pay for. Or not, sometimes?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
That's a shame. Seems odd that a useful function would be discontinued, but I guess you get what you pay for. Or not, sometimes?

Iíve heard it has something to do with safety regulations but Iím not sure about that. Just what Iíve read on the View/Navion FB group. Since I donít tow a vehicle or trailer, itís not an issue for me personally. The side mirrors are fine. But if I had a toad Iíd want it and would have to add an extra aftermarket camera and display.

Tags
camera, rear, sprinter