Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #1

Is it possible to change the stock 30 amp system to a 50 amp system?If so what needs to be done?Has anyone here done this change?I'm tired of turning off different appliances to keep the circuit breakers from tripping.I can't even run the A/C and convection oven at the same time.Why aren't all class C equipped with 50 amp? Thanks
PJ73USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #2

Is it possible to change the stock 30 amp system to a 50 amp system?If so what needs to be done?Has anyone here done this change?I'm tired of turning off different appliances to keep the circuit breakers from tripping.I can't even run the A/C and convection oven at the same time.Why aren't all class C equipped with 50 amp? Thanks
PJ73USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
PJ73USAF, welcome to iRV2.

Yes, it can be done.

You will need a 50 amp power cord, a 50 amp transfer switch, and larger wiring from the transfer switch to a new 50 amp breaker panel in your rig.

I'm sure there are some more details that others will post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why aren't all class C equipped with 50 amp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To keep the cost down, IMHO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dirk hit the nail on the head on this one. The difficulty level will depend on how accessable the wiring is between the shore cord and the breaker panel in your coach. The wiring between the two will need to be replaced with a 50 amp service cord, as well as the breaker box. If the breaker panel can accomodate two phases already, just some minor rewiring will be required and not a complete replacement. Most of the class C's I've seen have not used "house" type breaker boxes, but rather purpose built combination boxes that sometimes incorporate the 12 volt system and the 120 volt system. If this is the case, you may need to add a new breaker box altogether.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #5

It seems that '50 amps' tend to be used in RVs with multiple A/C units.

Also 50 amp units can usually be used on 30 amp sources without difficulty, but they can be a challange to run on 15 amps. My 30 amp trailer had a little A/C which was perfectly happy on 15 amps, but the motor home needs 20 amps to run even 1 of the A/C units. And I have not seen a lot of 20 amp services. I could not find a 20 amp to 30 amp converter, so made my own. And have yet to use it.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

This topic has been a source of irritation for me as well. There's two reasons:

1) Most Class C's are right at GVWR with one a/c & a 4000 watt generator...if you added a second a/c or a bigger generator, you'd be over GVWR (or so close to it you couldn't add a driver without going over) A Class C shouldn't need 50 amp service for any other reason other than to power 2 a/c's or an elec hot water heater, micro & gen at the same time, etc

2) Manufacturing costs...I suppose if you had a 26' Class C, there'd be enough wiggle room on
GVWR to add a second a/c and/or a bigger generator, and thus--have it a 50 amp service, but production costs wouldn't be feasible.

Now that Ford upped the GVWR of the E450 for 2009 to 14,500 lbs...maybe 50 amp service w/ a second a/c or bigger generator on a 31' model isn't out of the question?

I'm actually happy to see this for 2009...now, you can get a 31' class c with two slideouts--couch/dinette AND a queen rear bed slide...very cool! (but with 2 slides, you're once again near GVWR)

Regardless, I'd still like to see a standard class C w/50 amp service so I have more options...
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I am sure that cost as well as complexity come into play and I have the same problem as many. I can not run my one A/C (13500btu ) and the convection oven at the same time. The bottom line is the two combined draw more than 30A.

I considered the 50A conversion but declined for the very reasons pointed out in other posts - mainly complexity, weight, and incompatibility with the equipment in my '05 Class-C. What I did do is to cheat in the same way people with 50A motorhomes do when faced with a 30A only hookup in many RV parks. Many Class-A's use a separate cable to feed their 2nd A/C which is what is typically on the 2nd leg of power). I only have 1 A/C, but I do use the 20A service on the pedestal to feed my convection oven. I carry a 12/3 extension cord with 20a plugs on it and run it under the bottom slide seal when I need to use it at the same time as the A/C. In Texas, that is more frequently than many of you in cooler climates ;-)

While it is not an elegant solution, it is practical, cheap, and works!
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #8

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
It is possible to convert any 30 amp rig to a 50 amp, it is just harder on some than others.

I converted my 1999 Winnebago Adventure from 30 to 50, and the cost was in the neighborhood of $450.00, and my rig already had a 50 amp automatic transfer switch, and a 120/240 main breaker box.

It's important that you understand that the conversion from 30 amp to 50 amp is not just adding 20 amps, it's changing your rig from straight 120 volt, to 120/240 volt.

The costs and complexity of the conversion will depend on what kind of equipment you have now, and your level of skill and understanding of electrical wiring. This is not something I recommend for a novice, or a person who doesn't fully understand what they're doing.

That said:
http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/30to50amp.htm
Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #9

I was recently asked to either remove my 20amp cord feeding my second a/c or leave the campground. They said their electrician advised that using the electric in this manner was a fire hazard. My mistake was that I was trying to be fair to them and offered to pay the higher 50amp service rate.
ohioturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

I have been doing the same thing as RandD. I have been doing it for a number of years. I installed a fused 20 amp receptacle to be used for anything that has up to 20 amp draw. I understand some campgrounds do not use separate circuit breakers for the 20 amp service in the service box. You will know this quick enough. I have never run into one of these so far. The system of a 20A & 30A sure makes life easier especially if you are going to use aux heaters at night. I for one will not run the gas furnace while I am sleeping.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #11

they aren’t on the same line. if they are it’s only on one leg. your not hurting anyone
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
they aren’t on the same line. if they are it’s only on one leg. your not hurting anyone
In effect you are stealing the extra power. The site was rented assuming it was feeding a 30 Amp connection and priced accordingly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ73USAF View Post
As folks said, possible but a lot of work.

The reason 30 Amp is common is that it is better than 20 Amp. Most of us do not try to run a convection oven with the A/C or two A/C's in a class C. Don't need it, don't want it, and don't want to pay for it. Most of the places we go we are happy to have power. If we get power it is 30 Amp as there are few state parks around with any 50.

Sounds a bit harsh but reality is that to most of us the C is a move up from a tent. If we wanted a mobile apartment we would look at 40-45 ft DP. It's all a matter of perspective.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Do you realize that you are responding to a 10 year old post?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote