Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
32’ E450 owners - problems getting gas?

We are considering the purchase of a 32’ MH on the E450 chassis.

We will be towing a 2 door Wrangler.

Do owners experience significant problems getting to most gas pumps with a towed?

Thanks, Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

I tow a 16 ft car trailer behind mine and don't have a problem. Some Pilot and most Flying J stations have RV lanes. I try and stay out of small, tight stations. Most with a couple Pump Islands are not bad.
I'm 52 ft total length.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #3

I had a 30 ft class C with a 13ft rear overhang. I dolly towed a Kia Soul.

Had to be careful picking my gas pumps so I could get away from them without turning to sharp.
The rear overhang would swing towards the pumps and the dolly would track wider then the MH rear tires.

Discovered that, while pulling away from a curb. The dolly tire would ride up on it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #4

Most larger stations near the interstates will have ample room. Look for stations where the pump islands are parallel to the road. Truck stops are of course ideal.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

My MH is 32 1/2' long and I flat tow a F150 supercab shortbed truck. Getting gas can be an issue. Just today I was filling up at a gas station and couldn't get out the way I wanted to exit the station and had to drive the wrong direction for a mile or so to where I found a place I could turn in to change direction.

Of course that length Class C can be an issue driving even when not towing anything. The turning radius is horrible and you need close to 4 lanes to make a u turn.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

An unrelated comment.

Because 32 foot E450 Class-C's are exceptionally heavy and are most prone to tire blow-outs......

One of the first things I would do is replace the standard "E" rated tires with what I call "E+" rated tires, (officially referred to as "Load Index 121). They are dimensionally identical, but each tire is rated for around 600 pounds more. That is an extra 2400 pounds of capability for the rear axle, and an extra 1200 pounds up front. CLICK HERE to see one of many industry available examples.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

As far as the coach, unhooked no, but I did have my egress blocked by a tanker driver in training at a very busy Speedway store. As I was headed for the exit he cut across in front of me and then backed up to dump, blocking two of the exits and I had the toad so I couldn't back up. I went in and apologized for trapping the five cars in front of the store in their parking spaces and explained that had the tanker driver taken a moment to let me pass by that I would have already left and that I couldn't back up. I think the manager said something to the driver-trainer after a customer complained as he was pointing towards me then showing him where I was planning to go. After they got the end car moved, then they were able to move the trapped car. That's been my only issue in a gas station.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Download the Pilot app on your phone and put in the filters you are looking for like RV gas lines and it will tell you all you need to know about the station. Prices, RV lanes, dump stations, RV parking, what restaurants are their. Your E450 probably has a 55 gal tank so you can plan ahead when to stop. With that much fuel you should be able to look ahead around 200-300 miles to find a station that meets your needs. As a previous poster said, be careful with the backend when towing, it will swing out so watch it. I am good for about 150-200 miles and I need to get out and walk around a bit and if I am stopping for the night on the road like at Cracker Barrel or Walmart, I will fill up before I stop so I have plenty of fuel for the generator, yes I run my generator all night so I can watch tv or run the air conditioning.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #9

Buy the book NEXT EXIT it will have the rv riendly gas stations in RED, as we visit a gas station we also mark in the book a rating of how good it was as far as getting in & out without a problem, we are a 32 ft class c with tow dolly and chevy Aveo, never ran into a problem yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4225.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	265917  
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

We have a 32 ft E450 towing a Ford Edge and we have issues with typical gas stations.
We now use Google Earth to get a preview of a gas station looking for pump layout. If pumps lanes are perpendicular to road, how much room between the pump and store? Outside lanes are usually our friend because of the overhang issue.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #11

I had a 35 foot diesel pusher and flat towed a van. After one bad experience early on I made sure that the stations were big rig accessible before I pulled in! It was easier with a 144 gallon tank!

Those little 7/11, Costco and Murphy type places are not laid out for us.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I had a 35 foot diesel pusher and flat towed a van. After one bad experience early on I made sure that the stations were big rig accessible before I pulled in! It was easier with a 144 gallon tank!

Those little 7/11, Costco and Murphy type places are not laid out for us.
Until recently I had a 40 foot diesel pusher and towed different cars and a 24 foot enclosed trailer. Rarely had an issue with Costco or Murphy - always checked out the exits before entering. Some I did not enter as I was not comfortable with the exit set up.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Until recently I had a 40 foot diesel pusher and towed different cars and a 24 foot enclosed trailer. Rarely had an issue with Costco or Murphy - always checked out the exits before entering. Some I did not enter as I was not comfortable with the exit set up.

With the mpg of the DP I did not want to be wandering around checking out the accessibility of stations.

Plus not knowing traffic condition's. There are areas here in FL where traffic is so bad during tourist season that it can take 45 minutes to exit and get back on the interstate without getting fuel. I will not stop for gas around Sarasonta FL with my car during tourist season.

Much easier to simply pre plan where I was going to get fuel at RV big rig friendly places. I would often times get only 50 gallons
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #14

Take your time and plan

We have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 29XK, towing a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe on a tow dolly. All in we are 53 feet long. Any Pilot, or Race Track(even the one on Fruitville in Sarasota) we have been to, were accessible to us. I usually go with the far right pump. No issues yet. I use the Pilot/Flying J app and I check for Loves truck stops if we are on longer trips. By now I kind of know how far we can go and with the help of my DW we can plan tanks stops far in advance. I also use RV Trip Wizard for my trip planning. Adding tank stops and rest stops for the dogs is easy with that.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, ems, gas, problem, problems