Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Having 4 wheel drive doesn't mean you are going to take it where only 4X4's can roam. It's added security and safety for the following (not a complete list):
1. Launching boat
2. Snow storms
3. Poor campground drainage
4. Steep inclines possibly on gravel or grass - in this case it's courteous to use 4wd to keep from tearing up land
5. It's personal preference
6. Pull off the road in sand, get stuck, put on 4wd, pull out, avoid hour long wait for AAA tow truck
7. ...

We can't pave the world for the cost of adding 4X4 to our rigs

Right on ... and well stated!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #16

Had 2 of my minnie winnies equipped with 4x4 by Quigley conversions.They drove like a tank in low range.Mine were 24 feet.First one was a 2000 chevy chassis.cost for converision was around 7,000.next was 2005 Ford cost around 10,000.When i had mine done they would only convert new model.I live on east cost and ran my campers Surf fishing.Never a problem if you use common sense.I have seen the conversion on many different models and sizes.Give Quigley a call very nice people to deal with.Their shop is near Harrisburg Pa.
Tjbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #17

A company called UJOR (U Joint Offroad) in Asheville, NC does great 4x4 conversions on Ford E series based vans, and motorhomes. I've noticed a big uptick over the last year in the number of new C-class rigs being converted that come from dealerships in the north east. High quality workmanship and good people.

4x4 Van Conversion kits

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/images/860_RV_shot.JPG
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd97 View Post
A company called UJOR (U Joint Offroad) in Asheville, NC does great 4x4 conversions on Ford E series based vans, and motorhomes. I've noticed a big uptick over the last year in the number of new C-class rigs being converted that come from dealerships in the north east. High quality workmanship and good people.

4x4 Van Conversion kits

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/images/860_RV_shot.JPG
Oh man! I loved the V4 with the XP camper!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #19

All depends on your price point , chris at U-Joint off-road in NC is the man to call Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	235973
toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Phoenix Cruiser makes a 4x4 but they are more of a Class B+.

https://www.phoenixusarv.com
I concur!

Phoenix USA offers the Quigley 4x4 conversion as an option on every model as long as you don't select the Sprinter or Transit option. Only E-Series.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #21

Want to thank you all for your responses, with particular appreciation to Benedict and PhilG. We will look into your suggestions with a more educated perspective now
GoinGlampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #22

Do keep in-mind that a 4x4 conversion does raise up the rig by a minimum of 4". That is not a good scenario for everyday driving, and it adds one more step (or steeper steps) to get into the house and cab. If you have bad knees, that would be a concern.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #23

Since raising the rig raises it's center of gravity, it makes the RV a bit more unstable ... on long sweeping highway curves, in high cross-winds when driving, during air pressure push when large trucks pass, and maybe more importantly - more unstable on tipped road surfaces and road ruts where one might find themselves when navigating to camping places on dirt/gravel roads.

What would be ideal is a 4X4 Class C that is still at normal 2WD heights - as set only and entirely through selection of tire size. It is possible engineering-wise to do this. Ford a long time ago offered a "low-profile" 4X4 pickup truck ... and I rode in one in deep snow on a backroad in the Utah mountains.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:05 AM   #24

Maybe manufacturers will see this thread and act on it to include 4x4 as an option...One can only hope
GoinGlampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #25

I have seen used Host class c's 4x4's on rv trader.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #26

4x4 class C

It has pretty good ground clearance and with front manual hubs I can Low-range in 2wd. for slow speed control. I use 4x for getting unstuck mostly. When you are stuck in 4x, you are stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger rightside.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	236595  
Old 03-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It has pretty good ground clearance and with front manual hubs I can Low-range in 2wd. for slow speed control. I use 4x for getting unstuck mostly. When you are stuck in 4x, you are stuck.
Those Tiger motorhomes look to me like an ideal off-road RV ... short of full blown expedition vehicles - which are expensive and pretty much overkill for non-rock-crawler off-road use in the U.S..

They remind me of the Chinook "chassis mount" Class C that we owned years ago:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe it is an illusion, but it appears half the overall length is "CAB".