Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

6.8L V10 engine rattle when de accelerating around 65mph

Hello,
I have a 2017 Thor 30fe with 11k miles. Bought it used. When I test drove it at 6k miles, I noticed also but it’s still all in warranty so no biggy. 2 Ford dealers have yet to determine the issue.

I pulled the engine cover off in the cab and it’s definitely coming from within the engine area. I was thinking tranny but I think it’s upper engine area. When I get up to 65ish and let off the gas, it’s a temporary rattle. Going down hill makes it worse. Once below 60, sound is gone. If I ride the gas a little, no noise.

Anyone have any ideas?
Squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirreld View Post
Hello,
I have a 2017 Thor 30fe with 11k miles. Bought it used. When I test drove it at 6k miles, I noticed also but it’s still all in warranty so no biggy. 2 Ford dealers have yet to determine the issue.

I pulled the engine cover off in the cab and it’s definitely coming from within the engine area. I was thinking tranny but I think it’s upper engine area. When I get up to 65ish and let off the gas, it’s a temporary rattle. Going down hill makes it worse. Once below 60, sound is gone. If I ride the gas a little, no noise.

Anyone have any ideas?
That will most likely be your serpentine belt. Mine was making the same noise so I installed a new belt and noise is gone! There's also an extra idler pulley that Ford has decided to leave off. I'll be installing one of those soon! Lots of discussion here about that noise
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #3

Thank you for the response.

I put a new belt and belt-tensioner (both motorcraft) on it last weekend. While I have not had a chance to run down a big hill on the highway, it does the same thing on the back roads in that 70-60mph de-acceleration range when I completely let off the gas. When I have the toad on the back, the issue is more obvious. Seems like whenever the MH is pushing the drive train and foot is completely off the gas, you hear it.

I've searched all over the web and cant find anything. Let me search for missing missing idler and see what that surfaces.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could it possibly be a loose heat shield? I would look around the exhaust manifolds and see if something is loose. Sometimes you won't hear a rattle until it's at a specific load or rpm.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

Both Ford dealerships said that, yet neither were able to ID the heat shield. I’ve heard loose heat shields before. The sound I’m hearing is not that metallic. I found the pulley mentioned earlier, $30 on Amazon. I don’t think that’s it but for $30, I’ll pay that to rule it out.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There were 2 idler pulleys on early 2v v10's for some reason ford deleted one of them, the rattle is due to the serpentine belt, funny not all 2v v10's do it, gates belt seems to fix the rattle, for others they installed the second idler which was deleted, you don't have to change the belt, just install the deleted idler.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:28 AM   #7

Betcha it’s the idler pulley

This topic was discussed FOREVER on another forum.

For the price of the pulley and the bolt, it’s a 5 minute job to install.
Just unclip the left half of the air intake (as if you were changing the air filter).
This provides enough room to reach in and install the idler pulley and bolt.
There’s enough slack in the belt to push it out of the way to install.
Someone could help by using a hockey stick-like pole from the driver’s side to push the belt slack for you......makes it even easier.

Don’t analyze this to death. Try it. You’ll like it!

Don’t ask me how I know.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #8

Parts will be here in a few days. Love amazon prime. Ill post back.

I was getting the "squeak" at around 2100rpm which prompted me to change the belt and tensioner. Changed the tenstion first, squeak still present only much less. Changed belt, squeak went away.

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #9

This is apparently an all too common problem on the V10. As someone noted earlier, it's been discussed at length on the Jayco board. I just installed the idler pulley (kept the same belt as it looked good and only 14K miles on it) before a trip last week. The noise started up around 9 or 10K on the engine, and sounded like the old low octane valve tap.

Numerous folks have performed this mod, and all so far have stated it works well. I just did about an 800 mile R/T and there was NO noise.

Interestingly enough, there was enough play in the belt that I didn't have to remove anything to install. I just used a stepladder to get my hands down there, and could hold the belt aside enough while I ran the bolt in finger tight. Was then able to use a small drive to tighten. If you wanted to use a torque wrench you would need to disassemble a bit, but as someone pointed out the travel of the belt is in the same direction so it likely won't be a concern.

I ordered the pulley and bolt from Lakeland Ford. While I initially ordered the wrong part, they advised me of the correct one based on my VIN:

This message from Lakeland Ford Online Parts is intended for XXX in regards to order #123456.
Your order has been updated as follows:

We appreciate your purchase with us!
Unfortunately, the part ordered does not correspond to the provided VIN number.
The part ordered: F65Z8678AAA
The VIN correct part: 1L2Z8678AD

The attached pic shows the location of the idler pulley. The location of the engine is threaded, so in all likelihood it was deleted as a cost savings measure by Ford.
Attached Images

GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #10

Can someone tell me the size of this pulley? My class A had 2 different sizes and if buying aftermarket I will probably need a size.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #11

Pulley size

Sandwip,
Just go to any Ford Dealer parts dept. take your vin number. Takes them 2 days or less to get the pulley and the bolt. No freight comes with daily order from Ford. Just ask them to show you while they are ordering a picture comes up on the screen with location and part number. Was $20 dollars for pulley and bolt.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #12

Thanks, will do. I wasn't aware that it would show up on their parts diagram if not installed on the engine to start with.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #13

I'm going to be doing this mod this weekend. Just to clarify, the pulley goes up against the block, then the washer and bolt go in, right? Nothing between the pulley and the block?

dave
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #14
chs

Mine does the same thing since I bought it. Not sure if it's the same noise as your but the timing is the same. I always thought it was the speedo cable but I don't even know if it uses one anymore. It sure sounds like one though. Just never got around to looking into it. It very faint but I can hear it.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, v10