Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 11:07 PM   #1

'89 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye Generator

Hi, Hoping I can get some advice here. We bought this class C just after turkey day and took to to Tuscon for a 9 day trip in Dec. Had a blast, our first Rv experience and were able to bring our little beasts as well. Anyway, using the generator was not fun. Trouble starting it, keeping it running, etc. I plan to give it a tune up and see how it does but will most likely look to replace it. My question is, is my best bet to look for an identical one ws/ less hours or should I just get a different one totally? I'm thinking a nice Honda generator but is there any way to stuff that in the same compartment and hook it up to my fuel line and control module inside the cabin? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Jackfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once a year I pour 6 cans of Seafoam in my 75 gallon gas tank just before a long trip. On that trip I run the generator one hour so that the Seafoam can clean it out..

My generator is now 15 years old and still running great, all I've ever done is replace the oil and filter.

I'd suggest running a really strong mixture of Seafoam through it for an hour or so. Can't hurt and will help your engine too.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda and like generators are not designed or certified to be place in enclosed compartments for RV use. In order to keep it onboard, you will need to go back with a like unit, or come up with an exterior mount on the rear bumper.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackfh View Post
Hi, Hoping I can get some advice here. We bought this class C just after turkey day and took to to Tuscon for a 9 day trip in Dec. Had a blast, our first Rv experience and were able to bring our little beasts as well. Anyway, using the generator was not fun. Trouble starting it, keeping it running, etc. I plan to give it a tune up and see how it does but will most likely look to replace it. My question is, is my best bet to look for an identical one ws/ less hours or should I just get a different one totally? I'm thinking a nice Honda generator but is there any way to stuff that in the same compartment and hook it up to my fuel line and control module inside the cabin? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Need a little more info.

Make and model of generator. Number of hours on generator.

Normally , most genny issues are carburetor related . Plus , a 1989 coach will need all the rubber fuel lines replaced with ethanol resistant lines.

Don't throw out the genny just yet . Unless they've been abused , they are fairly bulletproof.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typical SYMPTOMS of a failing/ intermittent FUEL PUMP: 1) Hard start; 2) Surges several minutes when started, (may/ may not smooth out), may then run fine for 45-90-minutes, or maybe only 5-10-minutes, then surges and dies with no restart until cooled 15-30-minutes. GEN FUEL FILTER seldom clog, as A) Fuel pickup NOT on bottom of tank, but order spare FFilter when you order pump, then put old filter (if good) or new into spare parts box. For this same reason, GENS seldom pickup water, which also sits on bottom of main tank, unless you really get a LOT of water. BUT OLD/ STALE FUEL will run WORSE in a 1-2-cyl GEN that a 8-10-cyl engine. AFTER a PUMP replacement, run GEN at least 2-hours UNDER LOAD to test/ verify. DO NOT crank starter more than about 3-seconds, then PAUSE 3-5 seconds to allow float bowl to fill, most start on next crank. WARNING: HOLDING STARTER in crank mode will blow your starter. LOW OIL or clogged oil filter (typically) will allow engine to Start, but then dies AFTER START button released. START/ CRANK bypasses OP switch during cranking to allow spark/ start. Some (the Onan Micro/ KY) line use a OIL LEVEL FLOAT vs Oil Pressure Switch. How MANY hours ON YOUR 89 GEN? p.s. WHILE FUEL PUMP CHANGE SHOULD/COULD BE A 15-MINUTE JOB, PLAN ON 3-HOUR+ DIY FIRST EXPERIENCE :-) "Ya know, just two screws and a short metal fuel line"
Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Typical SYMPTOMS of a failing/ intermittent FUEL PUMP: 1) Hard start; 2) Surges several minutes when started, (may/ may not smooth out), may then run fine for 45-90-minutes, or maybe only 5-10-minutes, then surges and dies with no restart until cooled 15-30-minutes. GEN FUEL FILTER seldom clog, as A) Fuel pickup NOT on bottom of tank, but order spare FFilter when you order pump, then put old filter (if good) or new into spare parts box. For this same reason, GENS seldom pickup water, which also sits on bottom of main tank, unless you really get a LOT of water. BUT OLD/ STALE FUEL will run WORSE in a 1-2-cyl GEN that a 8-10-cyl engine. AFTER a PUMP replacement, run GEN at least 2-hours UNDER LOAD to test/ verify. DO NOT crank starter more than about 3-seconds, then PAUSE 3-5 seconds to allow float bowl to fill, most start on next crank. WARNING: HOLDING STARTER in crank mode will blow your starter. LOW OIL or clogged oil filter (typically) will allow engine to Start, but then dies AFTER START button released. START/ CRANK bypasses OP switch during cranking to allow spark/ start. Some (the Onan Micro/ KY) line use a OIL LEVEL FLOAT vs Oil Pressure Switch. How MANY hours ON YOUR 89 GEN? p.s. WHILE FUEL PUMP CHANGE SHOULD/COULD BE A 15-MINUTE JOB, PLAN ON 3-HOUR+ DIY FIRST EXPERIENCE :-) "Ya know, just two screws and a short metal fuel line"

Prior post makes a good point.

2 things ....

1 - The generator needs a minimum of a 1/4 tank of gas to run . This is to allow a safety margin so the generator can't run the fuel tank dry . This ensures there is gas for the coach engine.

To check the fuel pump disconnect the carburator fuel line and put the end of hose in a container.
Crank the generator and watch for fuel flow . If gas flows the carburetor is probably in need of a rebuild . Rebuild Kits are readily available , or Google "Certified Mechanic" for your brand of generator .

2- Check the oil level in the generator . They have "low oil shutoffs" to protect the generator . Causes similar symptoms.

When we purchased our MH the generator had less than 100hrs. on it , but it was doing the same thing as yours . Rebuilt carburetor solved the problem .
Old 03-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One quick p
Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
QUICK TIP/ WARNING: If your GEN will (run fairly well without surging for 10-90-minutes), (=carb good) problem 99% is NOT Carb...carb issues NEVER "fix themselves", but on many, carb alone is $300+ parts and add labor and THEN Fuel pump, you can easily pay a SHOP $600-$1200. (and) Not to discredit Bill Gail, BUT simply getting fuel to flow from a pump does NOT determine a bad/ failing/ intermittent pump that can become intermittent after 90-minutes or 10-minutes. The Onan service manual test is PRESSURE, (must be in a certain range) but that is difficult for owners, esp. w/ metal fuel line/ fittings/ test gage, etc, and unproductive when a $25-$35 (AMAZON) pump replacement is probably much FASTER and definitive. And still holds true if pump is GENUINE ONAN at $100+? The Money you SAVE DIY will pay for any/ all tools you might need and still buy many steak dinners, as long and YOU MAKE SURE A FUEL leak NEVER hits a hot engine or spark area and burns up the rig. Really, right tools= T27 TORX bit and LINE WRENCH/ FLARE NUT WRENCH SET (SAE) + some common tools and patience, DIY can save $600-$1000? LUCK to ya, Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, what brand and model do you have? Being a 89 vintage there are issues that crop up due to age.
1. Fuel line from tank to genset gets cracked and sometimes develop pin holes so the genset sucks air instead of fuel.
2. Fuel quality, being a 89 the carb probably has a varnish coating inside, seafoam might cure it. I have had good results by using a slave fuel line to genset with a 1 gallon gas can mixing 50-50 seafood and gas. Run genset at least 50% load for 1/2 gallon, shut down and wait 1/2 hour, then start genset adding 50% load,run for 10 min, shut down, wait 5 min start again. Most all gensets start off at wide open throttle, this helps remove/expell the varnish deposits.
Please respond, as we are all here to help.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
QUICK TIP/ WARNING: If your GEN will (run fairly well without surging for 10-90-minutes), (=carb good) problem 99% is NOT Carb...carb issues NEVER "fix themselves", but on many, carb alone is $300+ parts and add labor and THEN Fuel pump, you can easily pay a SHOP $600-$1200. (and) Not to discredit Bill Gail, BUT simply getting fuel to flow from a pump does NOT determine a bad/ failing/ intermittent pump that can become intermittent after 90-minutes or 10-minutes. The Onan service manual test is PRESSURE, (must be in a certain range) but that is difficult for owners, esp. w/ metal fuel line/ fittings/ test gage, etc, and unproductive when a $25-$35 (AMAZON) pump replacement is probably much FASTER and definitive. And still holds true if pump is GENUINE ONAN at $100+? The Money you SAVE DIY will pay for any/ all tools you might need and still buy many steak dinners, as long and YOU MAKE SURE A FUEL leak NEVER hits a hot engine or spark area and burns up the rig. Really, right tools= T27 TORX bit and LINE WRENCH/ FLARE NUT WRENCH SET (SAE) + some common tools and patience, DIY can save $600-$1000? LUCK to ya, Hope this helps.

I based my suggestion on the fact that many generators are low hours and sit unused for extended periods of time . = carb issue

Your suggestion would seem to point to a high hour well used generator . = fuel pump issue

Both are valid points .

If we had more info from the PO we could better pin point the problem.

At least we tried .
Old 03-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill Gail, valid theory, but (actually) my fuel pump experience was high age (18+yo) and LOW hours (210-Hrs when I bought rig); would (run 45-minutes, die, not restart until cooled, surge before dying and after start); months later would only run 10-min before dying. Pump disassembly revealed only a white clay residue streak on side of pump piston; (Seafoam) MIGHT have cured pump issue, BUT $25 pump change was effective and cheap and faster. Now, 2yrs later, GEN= easy start, stable and reliable. Suspicion OP response slowed by weather, maybe we will hear back OP success in near future?
Old 03-13-2021, 11:31 PM   #12

Thank you. I've been dumping Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant &
Injector Cleaner in every time I put gas in it..
Old 03-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #13

Thanks for the reply! It's an Onan Emerald 4BGE SPEC F with 537.5 hrs. Between weather and work, I haven't had time to dig into it much.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a 50 gallon tank, any carb/ injection cleaner induced into the tank is worthless, best bet is use a slave tank with seafoam for the generator.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, generator, jamboree, rally