Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

97 fleetwood tioga v10 question

I am really hoping someone can help me. Last year my 97 Fleetwood Tioga V10 threw a rod through the block. The rod went right trough the block on the passenger side on the very first cylinder towards the front. When it went through it hit a metal line and broke it. I got the engine rebuilt i am ready to put it back in and for the life of me i can't find that metal tube I swear i took it with me to the machine shop to see if he may have one around there but he says he does not remember ever seeing it. I tried the dealership they keep trying to sell me a EGR but that is on the other side. Tried some RV dealers they don't know either what i am talking about. This is a metal tube that had a cloth like sleeve over it for heat protection i would guess. It runs in front of the first cylinder towards the front of the engine on the passenger side. I am hoping someone out there can at least tell me what the line or tube is called? I can't find one of these motorhomes around here and just can't find any diagrams or info. Really want to get this engine back in. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me out would really appreciate it.
spooner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Post some pictures of the area it is supposed to be. Im certain I can tell you what should be there but im going to need a visual reference.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Post some pictures of the area it is supposed to be. Im certain I can tell you what should be there but im going to need a visual reference.
Ok i can take a picture but the motor is out so there is nothing in the engine compartment not sure that a pic would help. The rod went through the side of the block just above the oil pan passenger side first cylinder towards the front. So that tube or line was right there in the rods path, it would have been located just below the exhaust manifold from what i remember the tube was about the size of a trans, dipstick tube or close to it, had some curves in it, not real real long, but probably around 18" give or take some, had a black cloth like sleeve i'm sure that was for heat protection. I also think it had something attached to it maybe some type of small pump but not 100% sure about that i do have the air pump so it would not be that. Really hope you can help me with this or someone can, if i at least knew the name of it i could probably find one then. Thanks a lot i can take a pic of the compartment if you think that may help.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

A few pics of the engine and compartment should do it. Also, how sure are you that it is a V10? I could be incorrect but thought the 97s had the 460 V8 in it. The V10 does not have an air pump. With a V10 under the #1 rod mounted to the block and front cover is the A/C compressor. There are 2 lines that go to that and it may have a heat shield on it.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

A V10 will have the A/C compressor mounted on the bottom right (passenger side) of the block, in the center of the engine at the very top is the alternator. Water pump is in the middle and the power steering pump is mounted on the bottom left of the engine.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
A V10 will have the A/C compressor mounted on the bottom right (passenger side) of the block, in the center of the engine at the very top is the alternator. Water pump is in the middle and the power steering pump is mounted on the bottom left of the engine.
I am 100% sure it is a V10, and it is a 97 Fleetwood Tioga, i know the dealerships don't list a V10 for a motorhome either but they did come with V10. i pulled the motor took it apart had it rebuilt even picked up a V10 block to replace mine so its a V10 can send a pic of the V10 sitting in my garage if you like. I am pretty sure both the A/C lines are there, there is a small pump of some sort diden't look that close just thought it was a air pump must be something else then. I can get some pics in the day tomorrow, I will doble check on the A/C lines but pretty sure those were both there. thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Richard
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner19 View Post
I am 100% sure it is a V10, and it is a 97 Fleetwood Tioga, i know the dealerships don't list a V10 for a motorhome either but they did come with V10. i pulled the motor took it apart had it rebuilt even picked up a V10 block to replace mine so its a V10 can send a pic of the V10 sitting in my garage if you like. I am pretty sure both the A/C lines are there, there is a small pump of some sort diden't look that close just thought it was a air pump must be something else then. I can get some pics in the day tomorrow, I will doble check on the A/C lines but pretty sure those were both there. thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Richard
No problem, I didn't want to sound insulting about the engine but just wanted clarification. It must have been one of the first with that engine. Any info or pictures of what the suspect tube goes into will help also. The only thing I can think of on the top of my head that is close to #1 cyl (left front cylinder) is the A/C compressor, the transmission cooler lines, and some wiring for the starter.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
No problem, I didn't want to sound insulting about the engine but just wanted clarification. It must have been one of the first with that engine. Any info or pictures of what the suspect tube goes into will help also. The only thing I can think of on the top of my head that is close to #1 cyl (left front cylinder) is the A/C compressor, the transmission cooler lines, and some wiring for the starter.

Ok i will get some pictures, I am sure the trans cooling lines are there not them but i am going to double check on those A/C lines now that you mentioned it. I work on GM a lot Camaro's and Firebirds and some new GM stuff but Ford is somewhat foreign to me especially the V10 I really know nothing about these. Thanks a lot and i will take some pictures.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

It may be something the coach manufacture added also. But at least we can make sure you are not missing anything on the Ford side. If you remember any liquids like oil or coolant that was in the pipe also may help.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
It may be something the coach manufacture added also. But at least we can make sure you are not missing anything on the Ford side. If you remember any liquids like oil or coolant that was in the pipe also may help.
Well i really hope its not something the manufacturer added, I wish i could find one of these motorhomes close by and have a look, i think they would be the same into early 2000. Here is a pic of the engine after i pulled it you can see where the hole is anyway may give you a idea of the location. I will take some tomorrow and check things out a bit better. Thanks again .
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #11

Not sure why my pic did not post, still not use to this site. Will try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0092.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	49014  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #12

FWIW, the only thing I can think of that would be a steel line, and heat protected, where you're describing would be a PS return line.

BTW, if the line is 'missing' you should be able to find the two ends it is supposed to join if you get in there (literally) and have a good look around.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

I have a 99 Class A but the engine and transmission is the same. I looked at mine and did not see any tubes other than for the A/C. I thought the dipstick for the engine oil but that is usually on the drivers side. The other thought was the transmission dipstick tube but that is usually routed on top of the intake. I cannot think of any tube other than a possible coolant tube that the body builder added. I have pics of mine that I can up load a little later.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a 99 Class A but the engine and transmission is the same. I looked at mine and did not see any tubes other than for the A/C. I thought the dipstick for the engine oil but that is usually on the drivers side. The other thought was the transmission dipstick tube but that is usually routed on top of the intake. I cannot think of any tube other than a possible coolant tube that the body builder added. I have pics of mine that I can up load a little later.
Hi thanks i will get some pics a little later today, the trans dipstick tube is there it's actually still attached to the trans, dipstick tube i have and it is much smaller than this tube was anyway, a/c lines i also have the two are actually together i believe you can't separate them, i did see the trans cooling lines are in the vehicle but look like they do not go as far as the rad i am wandering if they connect near the front of the engine possibly can be that but will take some pics a little later. Thanks very much.

Tags
fleetwood, v10