Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

A Ladder to bigger problems

Need a little help, putting a ladder on my class c MH - to attach it do I need special screws or any suggestion on how to do it? have gray stuff for waterproofing, I'm going into fiberglass - I'm a do it yourself person ?
rvflyer1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being your rig was built by Fleetwood I would contact them for a precise location for mounting the ladder so you will catch some sturdy attachment points. JMHO! Good luck and hope it all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
paz

The permanently mounted ladders to the RV roof have to hold a lot of weight. Most are rated for at least 200 lbs. The manufacturer of our motorhome (Tiffin) encapsulates steel plates into the fiberglass rear cap and the roof to use to hold the screws and distribute the weight. I would be hesitant to install a ladder without something strong to anchor it to.

Maybe you can use a magnet to see if you have plates in your walls or a stud finder to see if there are any internal ribs or supports in the vicinity of where you want to put the ladder.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Google your year and model for pictures. Take a look at the pictures to get an idea where they are mounted on other identical MH's. This will narrow your search that paz suggested. Good luck.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to make sure that the anchors go into a structural member. The Filon and fiberglass will not hold the ladder securely.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a suggestion::: In my life I have worked as a professional ladder monkey (Roofer in this case) so I have a LOT of experience going up and down ladders.

RV ladders, and other wall mounted laders that go STRAIGHT up and down.. SERIOUS pain to climb,, I mean SERIOUS. I really hate climbing them even when they are very well built and more than strong enough.

A slanted ladder leaning against the "eve" (top of the side) of the RV, way way way way easier to climb.

PLUS. the standard RV ladder, mounted, is not really up to my 300 pounds.. Or for that matter half of it. The mounts are just not that good (Though you can fix that and I did fix it).

So I carry a convertable,, Extension/Step ladder, its about 14-15 feet extended and just perfect for hopping topside when I need to.

Works great when washing and waxing the sides too (in the other mode).
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
... A slanted ladder leaning against the "eve" (top of the side) of the RV, way way way way easier to climb....
Nice idea. Probably a lot safer, too.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote