Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #43

hooking up a 30 amp breaker

I just installed a 30 amp plug for my RV went on you tube and followed the instruction no problem and I am scared of being shocked, after I did it I said that was easy.[just double check what you are doing]
Popsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
I am new to the MH world...I keep it stored but bring it home the day before we leave on a trip.....my question is will the AC run properly on 15 amps if that is all thats drawing power.
If not you pop the breaker. Run nothing else not even the refrigerator on electric.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #45

15 amps

If your running a single A/C you'll need at least a 30 amp service and 50 amp for 2. Not running enough amperage will kill your compressor.
I hope this helps.
nomosnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #46

Its not advisable to split off 120 volts from a 240 volt circuit since by code the breaker on that circuit will be bridged and may not trip completely from the uneven load.

A Licensed Electrician who would be willing to do this probably will be doing so without the required permit and visit from the Building Inspector which your Home Owners Insurance would likely take note of and possibly use as a reason to limit or deny coverage in the case of an event related to that circuit.

15 amps will not be sufficient since the AC/DC Converter/Charger usually needs to be running so the battery won't go so low as to stop the thermostat from running however draws so much current on high charge that there will not be enough amperage to run the Converter/Charger and the Air Conditioner.

On the Power Plus Panel you may notice that the lowest setting that you can select is 20 AMPs so that is the lowest allowable circuit size that you can safely plug in to and even then you will be limited to just running just the bare minimum.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #47

So far, my experience is electricians who do house wiring don't know the 30 amp service for the RV has to be 120 VAC. I have 2 friends who learned this the hard way. MAKE SURE your electrician knows what he's doing.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:24 PM   #48

I run my 15K Coleman Mach and lights, on a 20 amp circuit with a 10/3 Dogbone and 50 amp shore power cord. Never I’ve had an issue.
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #49

As this has turned into "How to Wire" - look Here - RV Electric -

This is the one that works for me - explains most of the Mysteries of RV Electric. -

Just look to the column on the left and Click. -

Might help as it takes the Mystery out of Electric in the RV. -

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #50

Probably not. A 15 amp circuit is only good for 12 amps continues load. A 20 amp circuit is good for 16amps. Your air probably draws 11amps.
blonde347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #51

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
Quote:
I am new to the MH world...I keep it stored but bring it home the day before we leave on a trip.....my question is will the AC run properly on 15 amps if that is all thats drawing power.
Nope....
Start up is going to be well over 25 amps.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #52

Wow A Lot of Good Answers There, My Tip is to Buy a 12 gauge Extension Cord the Length that you Need (No More than 25') & Just Switch your Fridge to Gas is what I Do with Mine, Seems to Work OK
Killer_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #53

A/C on 15 amps

Maybe if you don't turn on your microwave or your electric hot water heater. Safer to operate on 30 amps. I overloaded mine once a long time ago and it took the breaker in the MH. I went out and felt the cord that runs to the service and it was pretty hot. The last time I did that, I'll tell you.
JohnnyStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
AND if you have the refrigerator on to pre-cool (before putting food in for the trip) then it is also drawing some of that amperage. I used to connect my 30amp connector to an outlet in the garage with an adapter so we could pre-cool the fridge. Last February, we were to have a cold snap down below freezing the night before we were leaving for Florida. Having lights on and trying to run a small heater to keep the inside of the MH warm was just too much. The garage GFCI kept tripping. After that I just wired in a new 30amp circuit with its own breaker in the garage next to the main breaker panel. Now I know that whatever is running in the MH is not gonna trip any breakers.
I should say that I used 10/3 with ground to wire the 30 amp outlet. Only reason I did this myself, was my dad did a lot of electrical work on our house growing up and taught me the Right ways to do things. He always followed the electrical code. He had been an electrician in the Army Air Corps. I almost went into Electrical Engineering, myself, but went into computer programming.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #55

Quote:
I have read in previous forums that the simple answer is NO. Your AC is probably rated for 30 amps. What I have read is that too little power may adversely affect your AC and will certainly pop your circuit breaker.
Busyretirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyretirees View Post
I have read in previous forums that the simple answer is NO. Your AC is probably rated for 30 amps. What I have read is that too little power may adversely affect your AC and will certainly pop your circuit breaker.
Most rooftop ACs use 20 amp breakers. Never heard of one rated at 30 amps.

With a 11000 BTU AC, it may be on a 15 amp breaker.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote