Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_mech View Post
Wow A Lot of Good Answers There, My Tip is to Buy a 12 gauge Extension Cord the Length that you Need (No More than 25') & Just Switch your Fridge to Gas is what I Do with Mine, Seems to Work OK
Exactly! My 13,500 AC draws 12.6 amps. They recommend using not more than
a 25' 12/3 extension cord. Info should be available in your units spec. sheet. Is
20/30 amps better? of course, but sometimes we have to make do when visiting
friends that aren't set up for our RV power requirements.
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #58

I did it myself

YES! 120 volt single pole 30 amp breaker.10 gauge wire!
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
The solution is simple

Check your AC voltage meter. I assume you have one, they are an essential RV tool, like a flashlight or a screwdriver. If the voltage is above 108 volts while the AC is running, you are okay. The 108 volt figure comes from the North American standard of 120 volts plus or minus 10 percent. All motors are designed to meet this standard.

I have a 20 amp breaker in the garage connected to 70 feet of 12AWG underground cable. The outlet at the end of the cable is connected to 50 feet of 14AWG extension cord, which is connected to the 20 foot 30 amp shore power cord. When my Coleman Mach AC is running, it draws 11.7 amperes and the voltage drops from 120 volts down to 110 volts. If I add the refrigerator (2.8 amperes), the voltage drops to 108 volts. There is also a small load of 0.2 amperes, which is probably from the idling converter. The total load is just under 15 amperes and the voltage is fine. If you use a 12AWG extension cord and the outlet is closer to the breaker, you may be able to do better. If you have a higher-powered AC, or your refrigerator takes more current, or your converter is busy charging batteries, your load may be too great and may trip a 15 amp breaker. No harm done to your AC motors.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #60

Assuming you are talking about 120V/15A: I doubt it will start as the brief starting current may trip the breaker. It won't hurt to try if you properly adapt to a standard outlet. I have one A/C running from a standard 20A 120V circuit from my garage with no problems (the breaker size is actually 20A). I set the thermostat on max temp (I think it is 90F) so AC comes on to limit inside temp and humidity on hot days (Middle GA). This is through the adapter/cheater plugs (one down to 30A 120V plug, the other down to 20A 120V to a standard outlet). And I'm running a heavy duty extension cord (probably AWG 12 or so) from garage outlet to the adapters and 50A cord on RV. This has been working fine for 2 summers now so I don't think low voltage burnout is an issue (EDIT) BECAUSE MY WIRING IS LARGE ENOUGH TO PREVENT SIGNIFICANT VOLTAGE DROP. That breaker will trip, however, if I forget and turn on the 2nd A/C!

DO NOT LET YOUR ELECTRICIAN WIRE UP UNLESS HE CONFIRMS 120V AC NOT 240! IT APPEARS HE DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT RVS! If you are going to have it done properly by an electrician, get and install the correct breaker (120V 30A or 50A), and correct wire size to the correct outlet type.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlJB View Post
So far, my experience is electricians who do house wiring don't know the 30 amp service for the RV has to be 120 VAC. I have 2 friends who learned this the hard way. MAKE SURE your electrician knows what he's doing.
When we talk about an electrician, I am assuming he/she is a licensed professional that has the certification for working on power circuits that would include wiring for recreational vehicles. I know, I know... these days you have to check behind work done by any so-called pro. But, your task should not be to find out if the electrician knows what they are doing. By definition, the electrician who is licensed and bonded will know what to do when you SPECIFY a 30 Amp.(120 Volt) Recreational Vehicle Outlet. It is no mystery; it is specified in the National Electrical Code Article 551. A minister should know their Bible, an electrician should have a copy of his Bible: The NEC Handbook. The 30 Amp/120 Volt RV outlet is it's own animal and somewhat unique because of the pole arrangement. So, if you have a pro electrician do the job, all you have to do is point to the location and get out your checkbook. If you have a copy of the NEC, read article 551 and you will find out as I have that not every RV site you pull into is up to code.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #62

Mine draws 12 amps based in onboard amp meter. Just watch voltage and use a good extension cord. Suggest 12 have wire and short as possible. I carry a 25 foot.
mcdade54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #63

I've plugged into a spare 15 a circuit to run my AC on low only and few lights for short periods of time. I have a Kill a Watt meter at the plug and registered 11 amps.
I wouldn't leave it on for more than a couple hours though. Best to have a dedicated 30A plug.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
I am new to the MH world...I keep it stored but bring it home the day before we leave on a trip.....my question is will the AC run properly on 15 amps if that is all thats drawing power.
Most probably yes. You can also use some light loads (e.g. lights and tv) but put the fridge (and if you use it hot water) on propane and don’t try using the microwave.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:32 AM   #65

Sure, some get away with using only 15 amps. But I would not try it myself anymore. It’s not how long it’s on necessarily, it’s the initial larger power need to get things rolling... startup stress. Any motor takes more to get rolling than it does after it gains momentum.

Having lost a unit almost 30 years ago on a #14 gauge long-corded 20 amp circuit, and probably (hopefully) only a start capacitor a couple years ago on a 25’ 20 amp 12 gauge, whatever I gain from such a move isn’t worth the potential cost. I guess that’s what you have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk. Few repair burned out ACs; a new one is cheaper, but still pretty darned expensive.

Can it be done? Yes. If nothing else kicks on at the instant the compressor motor maxes it’s amp draw upon startup, or resistance from excessive heat and/or cord voltage drop doesn't max it all on it’s own. At startup it’s conceivable the draw could approach or exceed 15. I did it successfully many times and got complacent, I guess because a fuse or breaker on the house circuit never blew. Then that last time it blew the compressor.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #66

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: 15a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
I am new to the MH world...I keep it stored but bring it home the day before we leave on a trip.....my question is will the AC run properly on 15 amps if that is all thats drawing power.
Might/ might NOT, but anything w/ loose connection will show up with heat damage afterwards; loose/ melted molded plugs/ receptacles; possible fire; NOT worth the risk to me. PO AC demo to me melted $40 worth of plugs/ adapters I had to replace.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #67

Just throwing this out there...the circuit my AC unit is wired to in my rig is just a 15 amp circuit, by which I mean it is protected by a 15 amp breaker. The 14 amp breaker on my generator I use will blow after running the AC for a short time, but the breaker in the coach never has any issue at all when plugged in to shore power.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #68

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So that tell me you are most likely drawing about 12-13-amps, anything over 80-90% of rating will eventually trip a breaker, closer= shorter time, under 80% usually not..
Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #69

Wonder if a 13.5 BTU roof A/C would run on 15A?
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #70

Even a small home wall, window or portable A/C 10k-14k BTU should be run on a dedicated 15 amp circuit without an extension cord. If you must use an extension, use as short as possible, and one properly rated. But I'm only talking 3' or 6' max. If I want to test the A/C in the backyard, I'll fire up the generator. I'd never even think of doing it with a 25' extension cord on a 15 amp house circuit. Even the generator slows way down for a second when the A/C compressor kicks in. In fact I wouldn't even use the MH microwave that way. Only use home power for lights and battery charging.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote