Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #1

Acceptable short term for long term (water damage)

I'm new here. I am not new to forums. I have read at length on these issues but not addressed my question. Basically, I have found a 93 jayco c class with no interior signs of water intrusion. I believe that the cabover area has been compromised. From the exterior there is some waviness to the fiberglass and the sealing strips do no all line up.

My question is a bit different. The Newish Onan 4k (gas) genset is new. It may need a new carb due to being unused but hours are low. I will also need a new refrigerator. Aside from that, at 70k miles, mechanically it is great. I am curious how to balance the potential water damage vs actual viable use. I can recoup the genes cost in spring without issue. My question is HOW do you establish the level of potential hidden rot vs utility. I want to use this trailer FT for about 4-5 months while by girlfriend is back in Australia. She would never FT but I have wanted to. I view this unit as almost a throwaway. It doesn't smell like mold at all but the seams on the exterior have me afraid.

I will also pay anyone in Minnesota a nice fee to take a look if they have time. ).

(edit: typing after a nice long sake dinner. I can elaborate more tomorrow if needed)
abrown3mtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #2

Having rebuilt the cabover on a 2003 Itasca Spirit, it is not something you want you ignore. I knew there was probably "SOME" rot but when I tore it apart it scared the crap out of me. I really don't know how it stayed together going down the hiway. If you are not very handy, Have a lot of tools and time and don't have a large indoor area to work in I would run away. It is not something I would ever do again.
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlrgf View Post
Having rebuilt the cabover on a 2003 Itasca Spirit, it is not something you want you ignore. I knew there was probably "SOME" rot but when I tore it apart it scared the crap out of me. I really don't know how it stayed together going down the hiway. If you are not very handy, Have a lot of tools and time and don't have a large indoor area to work in I would run away. It is not something I would ever do again.
I AM pretty handy. I have done pretty extensively vehicle builds, can easily build furniture with wood, and am experienced and coomfortable with electronics. I do have access to tools, and likely an indoor place where work could be done.

However, my goal for this was a bit more simplistic. Basically I found a 29' 93 jayco with a new generator (onan 4K gasoline). For 3k-3500 and 70k on the clock as well as a new roof 2 years ago. I need to go back and look closer now that I've done some research. Gut instinct is that there is potential hidden water damage as stated. If there is a Small amount of rot, could it still be used? I realistically could use it until patching the issue isn't viable and dump the gen set for a good chunk of what I paid.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to find someone in Minnesota that may be experienced and willing to make some cash to poke around it a bit? Naturally the sellers claim there was never any water issue.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlrgf View Post
+1 been there done that on a 22 ft '77 Toyota dolphin also had to do the rear roof and corner. I to wondered how the whole thing didn't collapse going down the road.

Never ever again. I was in my 20s weighed 105 lbs, strong back, knees still good and could contort into the odd spots to work in the interior of the cabover. there was never a mold smell but my daughter in particular will never forget the smell of wood rot. lol

Oh....and when I bought mine I rationalized that the truck chassis was worth the cost of the motorhome. Of course these days it would be worth a fair amount over what I paid. I often wonder if its still kicking around.

If you have the time. Mine was done in spurts. I sealed the outside and worked on the supports and framing first. it costs money, if you have to save up to buy a carb you may have trouble funding your project cause I can guarantee it will be more investment than just the stuff you know about.

I had to put a new rear axle on mine. It was a safety recall so Toyota paid for the whole rear end including the differential and rims. I had to pay for the shipping from Japan and the labor to install. $500 in 1991.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #5

The concept really just came up due to finding a deal that is amazing and makes sense (seller is relocating to Texas in a week and their spouse is already there. A previous buyer backed out last minute. I may just be paranoid but the unit has sat unused for 2 years. The edge trim isn't fully sealed in a few places from what it looked like at a quick glance. I really need to go back and do a full inspection when my sick girlfriend isn't waiting in my Car.

Basically she is heading back to Australia for 3-6 months due to family issues. I would do a few cosmetic cheap updates to make the interior clean and not depressing, run through all fluids, belts, brakes, etc, replace the broken refridgerator, swap the carb on the gen, and put some miles on it locally to get a feel for any other problems before heading west. I'd head to Colorado first, have full hook ups and access to large shops if the need arises to address anything further. At this price point, not having our several thousand dollar a month condo leaves a lot of budget for surprises. I don't mind doing some structural repairs, it would really just rather it be acceptable and unload it after traveling a bit than making it 100% right. I really wish I had the ability to identify what is problematic or not. I simply don't experience in this area. With the absense of any water stains or spots on the interior, i'm basing assessment on knocking on walls or walking a roof but have no baseline for what they SHOULD be.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #6

If the seams are separating on the outside it has extensive damage and will probably split wide open. There was a rig at CW that had done that. The repair is quite involved.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:01 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Been there & Dun that...Do not walk away....RUN!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #8

Unless the sales price is close to ZERO, attempting to determine the extent of water damage based on what you've already shared, could require way more time, energy, and MONEY than what the average DIY can effectively handle. I, like most, would not be willing to take on this reclamation project, but you might be willing to. If you decide to proceed, keep us posted on your progress. I hope it turns out well.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:52 AM   #9

Thank you all for your time in responding. Price is 3-3.5k. (They had been in the 8-10k range but have a week until their house sells and it needs to be gone). Low hour onan 4K and new water heater would recoup a good portion of that.

A buddy of mine gave me a good idea. I have a Snap On tools IR camera. I will take that over to see how good an image I can get under the skin from the inside and out. I'll also bring a moisture meter with probes + a mold test kit from a friend that is a home inspector.

If those show anything that give me substantial worry, I'll scrap the idea.

I work in the mortgage industry and am licensed through out the mountains and west coast. With my girlfriend leaving for 3-6 months, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to take off and ski, spend some time in Colorado, AZ, UT, and California working with some agents and clients from the past. I can justify the cost of this unit and toss a couple thousand more into it for maintenance and peace of mind, but beyond that, the fantasy vs justifiable reality just isn't there. If my better half was into it, I'd be full timing in a very nice unit already . If it wasn't for my dog and need to be able to have a desk/work station, I could spend the next 6 months in a van
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Someone that does home inspections will have a tool to read moisture content, get up in the overhead bunk and pull the plywood up if possible and use your nose, moisture smells.

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown3mtg View Post
Thank you all for your time in responding. Price is 3-3.5k. (They had been in the 8-10k range but have a week until their house sells and it needs to be gone). Low hour onan 4K and new water heater would recoup a good portion of that.

A buddy of mine gave me a good idea. I have a Snap On tools IR camera. I will take that over to see how good an image I can get under the skin from the inside and out. I'll also bring a moisture meter with probes + a mold test kit from a friend that is a home inspector.

If those show anything that give me substantial worry, I'll scrap the idea.

I work in the mortgage industry and am licensed through out the mountains and west coast. With my girlfriend leaving for 3-6 months, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to take off and ski, spend some time in Colorado, AZ, UT, and California working with some agents and clients from the past. I can justify the cost of this unit and toss a couple thousand more into it for maintenance and peace of mind, but beyond that, the fantasy vs justifiable reality just isn't there. If my better half was into it, I'd be full timing in a very nice unit already . If it wasn't for my dog and need to be able to have a desk/work station, I could spend the next 6 months in a van
Take a close pic of the outside corners worst spot and post it here. Someone can give you an idea of what you are up against.

New Onan generator that has sat for how many years? may not be worth what you think it is. People that know anything about generators know that age and hours are important and low hours and high age is worse than high hours. When I bought my motorhome it is 14 years and only 240 hours on the generator. That was not a selling point.

Remember that camper sat outside uncovered and not maintained for years. Even 6 months can cause extensive damage.

I am the queen of rationalizing things. Looking back I can see many times where I was not terribly realistic. haha Sure you can but will you really.

Don't let their high pressure to get rid of it influence your decision. What someone wants to get out of something does not determine the actual value.

I bet if you hold out they will probably just give it to you. I know when I moved and wasn't able to take my motorhome with me I had visions of giving it away. lol
Old 11-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
Someone that does home inspections will have a tool to read moisture content, get up in the overhead bunk and pull the plywood up if possible and use your nose, moisture smells.
I bought a moisture meter off amazon for $20. Used it when looking at motorhomes. No need to hire anyone except an RV inspector.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
It would seem to me you have answered your own question. You can purchase it, live in it for 6 months, sell the generator (recoup your costs) and throw the rest away.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

Seller has no issue with me having it inspected. I will be hopefully having that done tomorrow. We shall see what happens and if it's salvageable l, ok, or I'm just paranoid

Tags
water, water damage